It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 11:03 am

The Wrestlemania Sign

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

The Wrestlemania Sign

Postby Hanley! » Mar 04, '15, 6:19 pm

Minor rant incoming. You have been warned. :D

I've realised lately that if I could make just one minor change to the WWE product - a change that could be made instantly without any negative consequences - it would be to get rid of the Wrestlemania sign.

Seriously. It represents everything that's wrong with the product right now.

Unfortunately, at some point Wrestlemania became the biggest star in wrestling. Vince McMahon realised that the hype behind that show was enough, and that they didn't have to try anymore. Wrestlemania was no longer just the biggest show of the year. It was enough to draw all on its own. And WWE stopped trying to build great matches and feuds for the show and got on with just hyping the show. Not the matches. Not the wrestlers. Just the idea of Wrestlemania.

In recent years, wrestlers and commentators have spent at least a quarter of the year talking about the "Road to Wrestlemania". Every week we see a countdown of how many days are left until Wrestlemania. The Wrestlemania sign can be seen in every arena from the Royal Rumble until Wrestlemania. Just so people know it's coming.

We're at the beginning of the Road to Wrestlemania! Wrestlemania is only 60 days away! Wrestlemania is coming! Wrestlemania Wrestlemania Wrestlemania! It's incessant.

WWE is so relentless in hyping Wrestlemania, that we almost don't have time to realise that it's just a name. Without the right wrestlers, the right matches and the right feuds, it doesn't mean a damn thing. And yet people will pay for a terrible looking show just because they've been told to get excited about it for the previous three months. Not because there's actually anything to get excited about.

So when it comes to booking feuds and stories, WWE tend to be extremely lazy about it. They just do whatever comes easiest. And if all else fails, their wrestlers can always just point to the Wrestlemania sign. As long as the event gets over, it doesn't matter if the wrestlers don't.

If a wrestler wins the Royal Rumble for the first time, guaranteeing him a spot in the main event of the biggest show of the year, the absolute pinnacle of the industry, he could react to that kind of accomplishment with some level of emotion. He could try to sell us on how much it means to him. Or he could point to a sign. I know which sounds easier.

Going back and watching old Royal Rumbles now, the wins seem to feel like a bigger deal. The celebrations feel less rehearsed. They didn't have a big fuck off Wrestlemania sign to point at. They could just enjoy the moment and try to end the Royal Rumble pay-per-view on a strong note, without worrying about Wrestlemania just yet.

Feuds often begin in the laziest way possible too now. Two wrestlers look at a sign and BAM! We're supposed to want to see them fight so badly that we'll pay for the privilege. WWE hyped a confrontation between Sting & Triple H for Fast Lane. There was the potential for some violence, or at the very least some cool theatrics from Sting. But what did we actually get? A shitty Raw promo and Sting pointing at the Wrestlemania sign. Major anti-climax.

Okay, so getting rid of the Wrestlemania sign probably wouldn't make the Road to Wrestlemania any better. I know I'm exaggerating its importance. The company is always going to be able to find lazy solutions to its problems as long as people buy into the hype behind Wrestlemania. It's just one small symptom of a larger disease. But the sign is a great example of what the problems are with the product these days. WWE book feuds and angles that are extremely thin and ask us to fill in the blanks ourselves. They show a green rookie standing in front of the Wrestlemania sign and think it will convince people that he belongs in the main event.

It's a bad attitude for the company to have. They think they can do whatever they want and fans will still buy the show, so they won't bother putting in the effort. And fans are starting to see through this attitude, but not nearly fast enough.

I just wish they'd stop trying to sell the show, and start selling the wrestlers, the emotions, the rivalries. If they did that, the show would sell itself. These days they're only selling the concept of Wrestlemania. Given how terrible the show looks to be, I hope that this year people don't buy it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: The Wrestlemania Sign

Postby The Legend » Mar 04, '15, 6:54 pm

@Hanley!

I'd hate to see what you call a major rant.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Circled Square » Mar 04, '15, 6:56 pm

Now this is a man who gives a damn. About what? I have no idea.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 04, '15, 7:32 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about how the WrestleMania sign doesn't have numbers and for reasons no one knows they've stopped using numbers or even calling it Mania 31. #VinceWeirdness

Good rant as usual though Steve! You talk sense.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Racing Guy » Mar 04, '15, 8:24 pm

I just get tired of people pointing at it every 5 minutes as if we all have short term memory loss.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby Hanley! » Mar 04, '15, 8:46 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about how the WrestleMania sign doesn't have numbers and for reasons no one knows they've stopped using numbers or even calling it Mania 31. #VinceWeirdness

That's pretty stupid too, but I reckon that's just one of his crazy whims that could be gone by next year.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby Westcoastvibes » Mar 04, '15, 9:16 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about how the WrestleMania sign doesn't have numbers and for reasons no one knows they've stopped using numbers or even calling it Mania 31. #VinceWeirdness

I think this falls into what hanley is saying. Wwe does not care about the show anymore, its the lead up, the hype, the corresponding events and everything else they care about. Having a numbered events highlights the longevity and prestige of them. By droping the numbers wwe has shifted to focus from WM itself to the whole WM circus with the HOF, Access, meet and greets, post WM raw and everything else. Its more of a brand than a show now.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Circled Square » Mar 04, '15, 9:25 pm

Well, yeah, they always tend to stick to formula. They need to switch it up now. Same old shit all the time.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Kyle » Mar 04, '15, 9:31 pm

Pointing at the sign is just incredibly stupid.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Circled Square » Mar 04, '15, 9:33 pm

Kyle wrote:Pointing at the sign is just incredibly stupid.

I liked the one with HHH & Taker, other than that, it's lame. Like Sting and the bat. Just corny.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby DBSoT » Mar 04, '15, 9:41 pm

@Hanley You and me are on the same wave length here. The worst part is that all the feuds seem to start just when Wrestlemania season begins. If they just sat down and wrote like 5 feuds that all started at Summerslam and climax at mania it would make the show so much better. Not one of these feuds had any foresight. Even though they have known for a year that Reigns was winning the Rumble, the whole feud with Lesnar still feels like a thrown together mess. They are basically asking Reigns to go one on one with Heyman on the mic (worst idea ever). Which is partly Lesnar's fault for not being there. That's the other problem too, they have way to many people missing from the build up this year. No Taker, no Sting, no Lesnar. How can you have your 3 biggest matches missing half of the competitors? That doesn't even take into account that the two biggest faces (Cena and Bryan) don't have any matches 3 WEEKS before the event. Seriously, the 2 biggest faces have been buried down the card and have no matches basically just because they couldn't be bothered to book anything, but Reigns. Which the have booked horribly anyway.

-Rant over-

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 04, '15, 9:49 pm

It made sense at first when they did it, but then everybody started doing it.... every week. Now it's pretty much a punchline or a drinking game when they do it.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Westcoastvibes » Mar 04, '15, 10:30 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:

It made sense at first when they did it, but then everybody started doing it.... every week. Now it's pretty much a punchline or a drinking game when they do it.

I hate it worse when a match is over and someone looks exhausted physically and mentally broken as they stair aimlessly at the sign with empty hopes and dreams

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to WWE