It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:55 pm

Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Sep 03, '19, 12:23 pm

HERE WE GO NFL PICKS TIME BABEH

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT - Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears, CHI by 3 – NFL’s oldest rivalry kicks off NFL’s 100th season. What more could you ask for? God only knows what to expect out of the Packers this year with a new-look defense and entirely new offensive system and head coach. I’ll go into the season positive. UPSET! – Packers 23, Bears 20

Atlanta Falcons at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 4 – Two teams that had very similar seasons last year, that should both rebound this year. I think the Vikings, on paper, are perhaps the league’s most talented team. Vikings 31, Falcons 20

Washington at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 9.5 – Gonna be a rough year in DC. Eagles 20, Washington 10

Buffalo Bills at New York Jets, NYJ by 3 – Difficult to know exactly what to expect out of each of these teams. Doubt either sniffs the playoffs, but I like what the Bills have going on a little more. UPSET! – Bills 17, Jets 10

Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins, BAL by 7 – Dolphins are in straight up tank mode at this point. Ravens 23, Dolphins 6

San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB by 1 – It’s put up or shut up for Jimmy G this year, while the Bucs are getting a nice Bruce Arians boost. Give me Tampa at home. Bucs 24, 49ers 17

Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars, KC by 4 – Pat Mahomes gonna pick up right where he left off last year. Chiefs 33, Jaguars 13

Tennessee Titans at Cleveland Browns, CLE by 5.5 – I’m all aboard the Browns hype train. Browns 30, Titans 20

Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers, LAR by 3 – Were the Rams exposed in the Super Bowl last year? They’re going to have a lot of progress to make this year if they want to repeat what they did. Jared Goff needs to learn how to read defenses. Stil, they’ve got so much talent that it’s hard for me to ditch them. Rams 31, Panthers 27

Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals, DET by 2.5 – The Cardinals were the league’s worst team last year, and Kyler Murray is going to get creamed behind that oline, especially against the vicious Lions front. Lions 27, Cardinals 16

Cincinnati Bengals at Seattle Seahawks, SEA by 9.5 – The Clowney addition is huge for the Seahawks, who really needed some defensive help after the Legion of Boom exodus over the last coule years. Seahawks 27, Bengals 17

Indianapolis Colts at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 6.5 – Sucks to suck, Indy. Chargers 30, Colts 10

New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys, DAL by 7 – Do these two teams play week one every single year? Surprised it’s not SNF, as always. Cowboys 24, Giants 20

Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – Never underestimate the Pats. Patriots 34, Patriots 27

Houston Texans at New Orleans Saints, NO by 7 – Anyone else the Texans want to trade away? Saints 33, Texans 20

Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders, OAK by 1 – LET’S GO GRUDEN Raiders 23, Broncos 21

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Sep 03, '19, 6:37 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT - Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears, CHI by 3 – There’s a lot of intrigue with this match up and while I would have preferred they kept the traditional Super Bowl champs on opening night, I understand why they went with the oldest rivalry. For the Bears, can Trubisky take the next step and make the offense match what this defense is capable with Khalil Mack. For the Packers, how will Aaron Rodgers adjust to a new coach for basically the first time in his career and what will the offense look like? In the end I’ll take the Packers to strike an early road upset and get a head up on the rest of the division. UPSET!! GB Packers 24, Chicago Bears 21

Atlanta Falcons at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 4 – I hate when we have two teams like this playing in the first couple weeks of the season because it's just so hard to know what to expect. I mean you could tell me these two teams are going to meet in the NFC Championship game and I'd believe you. You could also tell me they're both drafting in the top five and I'd believe that too. When in doubt I'll stick with the home team to take a close one. Minnesota Vikings 27, Atlanta Falcons 21

Washington at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 9.5 – Washington is one of a bunch of teams that we'll be talking about as a complete trainwreck and embarassment to the league in a highly competitive race to the #1 pick. Eagles meanwhile have a healthy Carson Wentz for at least a little while, so they roll here. Philly Eagles 28, Washington 17

Buffalo Bills at New York Jets, NYJ by 3 – Don't really think either of these teams are very good and its likely that they split their season matchups with each other this year. That being said I'll start with the home team, which if I had to pick one of them to rise to the standard of mediocrity, it'd be the new look Jets. NY Jets 21, Buffalo Bills 17

Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins, BAL by 7 – I fully believe the league will catch on to the Ravens one-dimensional offense and Lamar Jackson to expose them as temporary frauds. That being said I could go down to the corner bar and find 10 guys that I could take on the field and beat the Dolphins with. Baltimore Ravens 21, Miami Dolphins 16

San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB by 1 – I'm a huge believer that if Jimmy G can stay healthy, the Niners are a playoff team in the NFC. On the other hand, the Buccaneers will be searching for a new quarterback this spring. UPSET!!! SF Niners 27, TB Buccaneers 23

Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars, KC by 4 – If Nick Foles can supply just decent quarterback play I think the Jaguars will be much closer to the team that almost played in the Super Bowl two years ago than the one that bombed big time last fall. I also think the Chiefs can not possibly maintain what they did a year ago, but I don't know if those two things will intersect in this first game. KC Chiefs 27, Jacksonville Jaguars 24

Tennessee Titans at Cleveland Browns, CLE by 5.5 – Everyone has been talking about all the things the Browns have done on offense the last year or so and it's been great, but once they are scraping Marcus Mariota off the First Engery Stadium turf all will realize this defense is ridiculously good (probably better than the offense). Cleveland Browns 34, Tennessee Titans 13

Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers, LAR by 3 – This might be the game I am having the hardest time deciding on. The Rams are really good and the Super Bowl was an anomaly for the Rams, but the trip across the country is always a tricky one and the Panthers with a healthy Cam Newton (however brief that will probably last this year) are far more dangerous than the end of last season showed. I'll take the Rams in a heart-stopper. LA Rams 28, Carolina Panthers 23

Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals, DET by 2.5 – I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals stormed onto the field Sunday and got the victory before anyone got a book on them, but I'm going the other way on this grand experiment that seems to be destined to crash and burn. Detroit Lions 28, Arizona Cardinals 21

Cincinnati Bengals at Seattle Seahawks, SEA by 9.5 – The Bengals stink... BADLY! The Seahawks are probably past their championship window (now that they've paid Russell Wilson), but they will no doubt have more than enough to take care of business here. Seattle Seahawks 30, Cincy Bengals 16

Indianapolis Colts at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 6.5 – Wouldn't it be ironic if the Colts managed to stink enough here to get their hands on Justin Herbert or Tua after one year without Andrew Luck? It's possible, but the competition is probably too stiff for that to happen at the bottom of the NFL standings. They will get a decent start on it though with a loss to the Chargers, who have their own issues to work out. LA Chargers 28, Indy Colts 17

New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys, DAL by 7 – Zeke Elliott is basically the only interesting thing about either of these teams and he likely won't be playing. Even still, the Giants are clueless and don't stand a chance in this one. Dallas Cowboys 27, NY Giants 20

Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – This would probably qualify as the Game of the Week to me, because there's just so much unknown, but both teams are likely to still be big time contenders this year. Can the Steelers move on from an off-season losing one of the very best running backs and one of the very best receivers at the same time? What will the Pats look like without Gronk? How long will Josh Gordon stay eligible this time around? What will their offense transform into next? That being said. New England should have enough to win this one at home as they raise another banner. NE Patriots 27, Pittsburgh Steelers 24

Houston Texans at New Orleans Saints, NO by 7 – Two teams that I would pick to win their divisions meeting in Week 1. One of them will get a huge boost and one will have to climb out of an early hole. I'm buying in, this is the Saints year in the NFC. NO Saints 31, Houston Texans 23

Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders, OAK by 1 – The NFL closes Week 1 with by far the worst game of the week. Outside of the typical Raider sideshow circus that has been turned up to 11 with Antonio Brown, there's nothing remotely entertaining about either of these teams, but the Broncos have the better roster. UPSET!!! Denver Broncos 23, Oakland Raiders 20

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Sep 05, '19, 10:07 am

Packers @ Da Bears: I'm trying to convince myself why I should pick the Bears. Packers sucked last year and yet, the Bears still lost to them in Week 1 with a hobbled Rodgers and barely (a win is a win, but still) won in the 2nd game when the season was all but over for Green Bay. Bears defense was due for a slight drop-off this season, but the loss of Fangio will expedite that IMO.

Packers added a lot of talent in the offseason. While I'm not sure how the coach/QB dynamic will ultimately play out, I expect it to look pretty good off rip. UPSET: Packers 27, Bears 17

Falcons @ Vikings: This is arguably the most talent-filled game of the week. Vikings can't afford to lose a home game this early on, especially in-conference. Smart bet is Minnesota. Vikings 30, Falcons 28

Washington @ Iggles: Unless Wentz gets hurt, this should be a Philly win. Redskins D will keep it close though. Lets not forget the Redskins were solid last year until Alex Smith went down. Eagles 23, Redskins 16

Bills @ Jets: This is a coin-flip. Both teams have promise, although I think they will need another year and I'm not a fan of either QB. I trust Darnold more though and the Jets are at home. Jets 21, Bills 20

Ravens @ Dolphins: Dolphins will suck this year, but they are at home and this legit feels like a game the Ravens would lose. FUCK IT. UPSET!: Dolphins 31, Ravens 24

49ers @ Bucs: Everyone assumes Winston will improve because of Arians, but I'm just not sure. Palmer, Luck, and Ben knew how to reel it in when they had to. Does Winston? I don't know asking him to throw the ball 35-40 times a game will work out for them and the 49ers defense can hold their own for sure. I'm not sold on the 49ers but I think they can win this, especially considering the Bucs defense is still lacking. UPSET!: 49ers 34, Buccaneers 28

Chiefs @ Jags: Chiefs on the road in the first week of the season with an elite defense waiting for them? That is a recipe for an upset. Chiefs will be good so a 0-1 start shouldn't cause anyone to panic. UPSET! Jags 20, Chiefs 17

Titans @ Browns: I can't tell if I believe in the Browns hype or not. On one hand, they are clearly really talented. On the other hand, I'm very skeptical about their head coach. I think he was hot shotted in the role because of how well they finished last season, but it isn't like they were beating any impressive teams. Even the Panthers who they beat had already fell off because of Newton's injury and even that game came down to the wire. I think the Browns win this if only for talent alone, but I'm skeptical. Titans are a really good team who shouldn't be slept on. They just need Mariota to stay healthy. Browns 20, Titans 13

Rams @ Panthers: Another game with a crazy amount of talent and story-lines. Newton is back from injury with a new throwing motion. Is this Rivera's last year? How will the Rams rebound from a disappointing Super Bowl? Is Gurley capable of getting back to the level we know he's capable of? I've made it clear to everyone who will listen how good I think the Panthers are and will be. This is a ridiculously talented team and if Cam Newton is healthy, oh boy.

To me, this comes down to the team at home. Panthers going to LA would be a loss probably, but the Rams coming to Carolina to play a 1PM EST (10AM their time) game has me leaning towards Carolina.

What to watch in this game: The trenches. Aaron Donald vs Paradis and Turner. Poe/McCoy/Short (scary defensive line, holy shit) vs Rams interior OL. Then you have Clay Matthews in a Rams uniform coming off the edge. Bruce Irvin, Addison, Brian freakin' Burns coming off the edge too for the Panthers... UPSET!: Panthers 23, Rams 20

Lions @ Cardinals: Two mediocre at best teams IMO. Lions 16, Cardinals 14

Bengals @ Seahawks: Seahawks should win this. Seahawks 30, Bengals 10

Colts @ Chargers: Colts will still be solid, but the Chargers are better. Chargers 31, Colts 17

Giants @ Cowboys: Saquon vs Zeke. Cowboys 28, Giants 21

Steelers @ Patriots: I'm convinced this is the year Tom Brady "falls off", which should still be solid. It isn't like Brady played all that well down the stretch last year - in his last 5 games last year (including the playoffs), he finished with below an 80 QB rating in 3 of them. And if you watched him, the signs were there. His deep ball wasn't as good anymore. Patriots compensated by running the ball even more and Belichick is a great coach, but you wonder how much longer Brady really has.

I'm going with the Patriots, but mainly because they are at home. Steelers will be a lot better than people think this year - AB was clearly an issue with that locker-room. Patriots 27, Steelers 26

Texans @ Saints: I think the window might have closed on the Saints. I'm probably wrong, but I hope I'm not. Saints 41, Texans 34[/i]

[b]Broncos @ Raiders
: Who is Broncos QB? Flacco? Lulz. Raiders 24, Broncos 14

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Sep 05, '19, 10:41 am

LMAO AB is getting suspended by the team

I've never seen a single player self-destruct in not even one whole year like AB has (aside from players who committed criminal acts). Not even TO had one to this extent. I mean Philly suspended him but that was just 1 team. AB self-destructed on 2

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 05, '19, 11:04 am

Messiah wrote:LMAO AB is getting suspended by the team

I've never seen a single player self-destruct in not even one whole year like AB has (aside from players who committed criminal acts). Not even TO had one to this extent. I mean Philly suspended him but that was just 1 team. AB self-destructed on 2

The AB stuff is ridiculous. I mean has a free agent ever imploded before playing a single game for his team before. I'm actually a little worried about him, I mean no normal human being would do shit like this without there being something wrong.

Also, on the Titans front. Taylor Lewan is suspended. The Titans are starting some career backup dude who has never started at LT in the NFL. Myles Garrett might break Derrick Thomas' single game sack record of 7.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Sep 05, '19, 11:20 am

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:LMAO AB is getting suspended by the team

The AB stuff is ridiculous. I mean has a free agent ever imploded before playing a single game for his team before. I'm actually a little worried about him, I mean no normal human being would do shit like this without there being something wrong.

From what I'm hearing:

If Raiders suspend AB for conduct detrimental to the team, as long as they prove it (and the proof is easy to find), it will void his guarantees in 2020. And if they suspend him before tonight, it will void this year's salary guarantees as well (veterans on opening day roster have salary guaranteed).

And if his guarantees get voided then they would obviously release him, likely next week. Crazy turnaround. Who would even sign him though?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 05, '19, 7:00 pm

It's the Bears D but man the Packers O looks like garbage. SEASON DOOMED??!?!??!!?

(kidding)

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 05, '19, 9:00 pm

Messiah wrote:It's the Bears D but man the Packers O looks like garbage. SEASON DOOMED??!?!??!!?

(kidding)

This game is garbage. Maybe Rodgers should have played in the preseason...

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Sep 07, '19, 8:34 am

THIS AB SITUATION CRAZY

- AB posts fine on Instagram
- AB argues with Mayock
- Raiders threaten suspension
- AB apologizes, Gruden says he will pay
- Raiders void AB's guarantees anyway
- AB demands release
- Raiders release AB

All in less than 72 hours

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 07, '19, 12:11 pm

Dude how insane is this season going to be? In the last month alone we have had Andrew Luck retire and one of the greatest receivers of all-time in his prime be such a nuisance he got released before the first game.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 07, '19, 3:16 pm

LMFAO ANTONIO BROWN TO THE PATRIOTS

RIP NFL

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 08, '19, 11:54 am

Holy shit the Dolphins suck

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to NFL