It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:03 pm

Week 3 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 3 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Sep 18, '18, 10:21 am

Week three. Make or break time for those 0-2 teams!
GAME OF THE WEEK – Denver Broncos (2-0) at Baltimore Ravens (1-1), BAL by 5 – Not a whole lot of must-see football this weekend, but this one could be a really tight game that ends up meaning a lot to the playoff race in the AFC. The Broncos managed a dramatic comeback in week two to keep themselves perfect after two weeks. The Ravens had the misfortune of having the first short week of the season, so I’m not going to crush them too hard for the way they lost to Cincinnati. The big question is whether the Broncos are capable of going into Baltimore and coming away with a win against a team that’s capable of playing well on both sides of the ball. I’m taking the home team. Ravens 23, Broncos 17

THURSDAY NIGHT – New York Jets (1-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-1-1), CLE by 3 – Boy, I’ll tell you what, my rule is to always take the home team in Thursday night games when it seems to be a close-ish contest… but with the Browns… it’s tough. I’ll still take them, but this might be the only game this season in which I pick them. Probably a stupid idea. Browns 20, Jets 14

Indianapolis Colts (1-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1), PHI by 6.5 – It’s finally the first game back for Carson Wentz. Who knows exactly what to expect… there’s definitely going to be some rust for him to shake off, so I don’t expect a barn burner here. Still, the Eagles need a win to shake off the stink of the upset loss in Tampa, and the Colts haven’t played particularly inspiring football in the first two weeks. Give me the champs. Eagles 27, Colts 17

Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) at Carolina Panthers (1-1) CAR by 3 – It’s a cat team showdown in Carolina. The Bengals have gotten off to a surprisingly hot start, and are well rested with a mini-bye coming into this one after their Thursday night game. The Panthers seem to be a little offensively challenged, which makes me think Cincinnati is capable of coming into this one and notching an upset victory. UPSET! – Bengals 26, Panthers 17

Tennessee Titans (1-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (2-0), JAX by 7 – What the Titans did against the Texans was impressive, considering the pieces they were missing. But the Jaguars and the Chiefs are the class of the AFC at the moment. I don’t see the Jags having much trouble here. Jaguars 24, Titans 13

New Orleans Saints (1-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-1), ATL by 3 – The NFC South is shaping up to be a hotly competitive division this year, which means every single divisional game is going to be crucial. The Saints simply cannot afford to start off by going 0-2 in the division. Still, it’s tough for me to pick against the home team in this series, so I’m going Atlanta. Falcons 30, Saints 23

New York Giants (0-2) at Houston Texans (0-2), HOU by 6 – Both of these teams have been both bad and boring, but the Texans are just slightly less of each. Texans 20, Giants 13

Oakland Raiders (0-2) at Miami Dolphins (1-1), MIA by 3 – The Raiders had it in the bag against Denver but couldn’t seal the deal. Going cross country in an early game in a time zone three hours ahead of what they’re used to is going to be a tough task. Dolphins 23, Raiders 16

Green Bay Packers (1-0-1) at Washington (1-1), GB by 3 – The Packers are entering the softest part of their schedule, and every game here is going to be crucial, because things get really tough in the second half of their season. They should dispatch of Washington without too much difficulty. Packers 30, Washington 17

Buffalo Bills (0-2) at Minnesota Vikings (1-0-1), MIN by 16.5 – A dude retired at halftime rather than play another snap for the Bills. That’s how bad this team is. Vikings 37, Bills 6

San Francisco 49ers (1-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (2-0), KC by 6 – The 49ers have had a rough schedule handed to them to start their season. I think they can make this one competitive, but with the way Patrick Mahomes is playing, these Chiefs are going to be really hard to beat. Chiefs 30, 49ers 20

Los Angeles Chargers (1-1) at Los Angeles Rams (2-0), LAR by 7 – The prodigal son vs. the team nobody wanted. One team is the class of its conference, the other can’t even come close to selling out a 27k seat stadium. Rams 34, Chargers 13

Chicago Bears (1-1) at Arizona Cardinals (0-2), CHI by 6 – The Cardinals might be the second worst team in the league right now. They’re baaaaad. But the Bears have really improved over last year, and might be a challenger for a wild card in a stacked NFC. Bears 23, Cardinals 9

Dallas Cowboys (1-1) at Seattle Seahawks (0-2), SEA by 1 – Fuck both of these teams. UPSET! – Cowboys 20, Seahawks 17

New England Patriots (1-1) at Detroit Lions (0-2), NE by 6.5 – Lol, this game got Sunday Night billing? All the better for the Lions to be nationally embarrassed, I guess. Patriots 42, Lions 17

Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-0), PIT by 1.5 – Pittsburgh has shown me nothing to make me think they’re capable of going on the road in prime time to take down the hottest offense in the league. UPSET! – Bucs 31, Steelers 24

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 3 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Sep 18, '18, 12:39 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Denver Broncos (2-0) at Baltimore Ravens (1-1), BAL by 5 – I'd have probably picked the Chiefs and Niners for game of the week, simply because I believe those two teams play a more entertaining brand of football than either of these teams. It's interesting because both teams are better than I'd thought they were going to be, but how much I buy into them is up for debate. I can't see the Broncos going on the road and reaching 3-0 though. Baltimore should do just enough in every phase of the game to earn the win. Baltimore Ravens 24, Denver Broncos 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – New York Jets (1-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-1-1), CLE by 3 – This game is full of questions, like which Jets team is going to show up, is it the one that throttled Detroit and had a rookie QB look like a Hall of Famer or the once that got beat up by the Dolphins? Or for another question, does it matter? Or will the Browns, who have won only 4 games in their last 50 tries, just find another even more Brownsian way to rip out the collective heart of the fan base and keep those victory beer coolers locked for yet another week? I gotta say, finding a more pathetic way to blow a game than having a kicker blow two field goals and two extra points to close out the game will be hard to beat, but I have faith in my team. They'll find a way to overachieve in the pathetic department once again. UPSET!!! NY Jets 23, Cleveland Browns 20

Indianapolis Colts (1-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1), PHI by 6.5 – Carson Wentz miraculously gets cleared to come back right after the Eagles first loss. Imagine that. Nick Foles had clearly wore out his usefulness as a starting QB. The fact that Wentz gets to whet his feet against the hapless Colts is just perfect timing. Philly Eagles 23, Indy Colts 21

Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) at Carolina Panthers (1-1) CAR by 3 – I don't believe in either of these teams. I don't know, give me the upset opportunity. UPSET!!! Cincy Bengals 24, Carolina Panthers 21

Tennessee Titans (1-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (2-0), JAX by 7 – Tennessee looked good last week, but Jacksonville made a statement that they are on a mission this season. This game should be fairly competitive as a divisional contest, but make no mistake about it the Jaguars will win this game. Jacksonville Jaguars 24, Tennessee Titans 19

New Orleans Saints (1-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-1), ATL by 3 – The NFC South is shaping up to be fantastically entertaining and these two teams should be at the forefront of that. The Falcons took a step forward with regaining their offensive prowess and the Saints proved that even on a day where not everything is going right they can find a way to pull out a win. I'll go with the home Falcons to pull out the narrow win. Atlanta Falcons 28, NO Saints 27

New York Giants (0-2) at Houston Texans (0-2), HOU by 6 – Well one of these teams will get the first win of the season. Houston struggled last week, but looks far more likely overall to get on the winning track over a Giants squad that can't block one of those tip over clowns from the 90's. Houston Texans 21, NY Giants 19

Oakland Raiders (0-2) at Miami Dolphins (1-1), MIA by 3 – Another pair of terrible teams facing off. Miami did a good job last week. Meanwhile, the Raiders continue to look like a team that is in limbo and torn between two fanbases. That cross country road trip is never easy, so give me the Phins. Miami Dolphins 24, Oakland Raiders 16

Green Bay Packers (1-0-1) at Washington (1-1), GB by 3 – This one should be fascinating. Washington looks like a team that will be bouncing back and forth all season long. I'll take them for the surprising return to form at home after getting whooped last week. UPSET!!! Washington 21, GB Packers 20

Buffalo Bills (0-2) at Minnesota Vikings (1-0-1), MIN by 16.5 – LOL. Josh Allen and Nathan Peterman might not survive this game as the Bills QB. Minnesota Vikings 34, Buffalo Bills 13

San Francisco 49ers (1-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (2-0), KC by 6 – Patrick Mahomes has played unbelievable football through the first two games as a starter. Jimmy G bounced from his first defeat in a shootout with the Lions. I expect another shootout that the Chiefs take at home. KC Chiefs 31, SF Niners 27

Los Angeles Chargers (1-1) at Los Angeles Rams (2-0), LAR by 7 – The Battle of LA! The Chargers are a team that are just trying to hang on to a team that is past its prime. The Rams are entering the prime, however, and should easily take care of business. Rams 30, Chargers 20

Chicago Bears (1-1) at Arizona Cardinals (0-2), CHI by 6 – The Cardinals have scored 6 points all season and the Bears defense is legit scary with Khalil Mack running rampant on the NFL. Give me Chicago for the easy win. Chicago Bears 24, Arizona Cardinals 14

Dallas Cowboys (1-1) at Seattle Seahawks (0-2), SEA by 1 – Seattle is done. Officially DOA. Dallas should be able to scrape together enough offense to win this one. UPSET!!! Dallas Cowboys 14, Seattle Seahawks 12

New England Patriots (1-1) at Detroit Lions (0-2), NE by 6.5 – Since the brilliant Week 1 SNF between Green Bay and Chicago that was everything prime time football is supposed to be, the NFL has treated us to a MNF double header where the Jets killed the Lions and the Rams shut down the Raiders, a TNF between the Bengals and Ravens that was never in doubt and never interesting, A SNF between two hapless NFC Least teams that can't score in Dallas and the Giants and the Bears slaughtering the Seahawks (OK this one was a little fun) on MNF. Now this week we get the Browns and the Jets on TNF and this game on SNF - I won't watch a minute of this game. NE Patriots 37, Detroit Lions 16

Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-0), PIT by 1.5 – Ryan Fitzmagic might not be the hero we wanted, but he's definitely the hero we need and his Connor McGregor lookalike contest was pure gold. Fitzpatrick is going to play Jameis Winston straight out of the league. TB Buccaneers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 27

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby xgamr » Sep 20, '18, 4:44 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Denver Broncos (2-0) at Baltimore Ravens (1-1), BAL by 5 – Ravens

THURSDAY NIGHT – New York Jets (1-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-1-1), CLE by 3 – Browns

Indianapolis Colts (1-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1), PHI by 6.5 – Eagles

Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) at Carolina Panthers (1-1) CAR by 3 – UPSET Bengals

Tennessee Titans (1-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (2-0), JAX by 7 – jags

New Orleans Saints (1-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-1), ATL by 3 – UPSET Saints

New York Giants (0-2) at Houston Texans (0-2), HOU by 6 –Texans

Oakland Raiders (0-2) at Miami Dolphins (1-1), MIA by 3 – dolphins

Green Bay Packers (1-0-1) at Washington (1-1), GB by 3 – Packers

Buffalo Bills (0-2) at Minnesota Vikings (1-0-1), MIN by 16.5 – Vikings

San Francisco 49ers (1-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (2-0), KC by 6 – Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers (1-1) at Los Angeles Rams (2-0), LAR by 7 – Rams

Chicago Bears (1-1) at Arizona Cardinals (0-2), CHI by 6 – Bears

Dallas Cowboys (1-1) at Seattle Seahawks (0-2), SEA by 1 – Seahawks

New England Patriots (1-1) at Detroit Lions (0-2), NE by 6.5 – Patriots

Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-0), PIT by 1.5 – UPSET Bucs

Last edited by xgamr on Sep 23, '18, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Messiah » Sep 20, '18, 6:20 pm

Jets

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Sep 20, '18, 7:00 pm

Browns offense is painfully bad. I'm not sure putting Baker Mayfield in would be a good thing for him or them.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 20, '18, 8:57 pm

Messiah wrote:Browns offense is painfully bad. I'm not sure putting Baker Mayfield in would be a good thing for him or them.

Tonight it's been a good thing. Tyrod Taylor is really bad at quarterbacking. Like nearly Johnny Manziel bad at quarterbacking.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Sep 20, '18, 9:22 pm

ITS HAPPENING

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 20, '18, 9:31 pm

FREE BEER FOR EVERYONE!!!!

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Sep 20, '18, 9:35 pm

BAKER BAKER BAKER BAKER BAKER BAKER

They sure as hell weren't winning with Turdrod

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 21, '18, 5:25 am

Well played Browns, well played!

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Sep 21, '18, 5:33 am

Who the fuck made the decision to start Tyrod over Baker? They could be 3-0 right now if they'd started him the whole time, or if they had a competent kicker. Crazy. Good for the Browns!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Sep 21, '18, 12:25 pm

Everlong wrote:Who the fuck made the decision to start Tyrod over Baker? They could be 3-0 right now if they'd started him the whole time, or if they had a competent kicker. Crazy. Good for the Browns!

In defense of the plan to start Tyrod over Baker, the Browns have gone 1-31 the past two seasons and 23 of those 31 losses were started by either rookie Deshone Kizer or Cody Kessler. Before that there was Johnny and Brandon Weeden, the franchise has had rookie QB fatigue because most rookie QB's are scared and stupid. Most of the time the rookie QB has played so poorly that it's next to impossible to evaluate how the rest of the team is actually playing. I was totally on board with this plan because I had no interest in rushing another rookie QB into action.

Now, once we've seen Baker there's no going back to Taylor, even if the easiest assignment a rookie QB can draw is relieving a starter when the defense didn't expect him to play and had no film or studying of him to go on. Now we get to see what Baker's got as he develops and faces new challenges - starting against Oakland is a good next step. Tyrod getting his third concussion in just over a year makes the decision even easier.

And let's not lose focus on Zane Gonzalez being the true sole reason the Browns lost both games.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Sep 21, '18, 11:29 pm

AME OF THE WEEK – Denver Broncos (2-0) at Baltimore Ravens (1-1), BALTIMORE

Indianapolis Colts (1-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1), PHILADELPHIA

Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) at Carolina Panthers (1-1), CINCY

Tennessee Titans (1-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (2-0), JACKSONVILLE

New Orleans Saints (1-1) at Atlanta Falcons (1-1), ATLANTA

New York Giants (0-2) at Houston Texans (0-2), HOUSTON

Oakland Raiders (0-2) at Miami Dolphins (1-1), MIAMI

Green Bay Packers (1-0-1) at Washington (1-1), WASHINGTON

Buffalo Bills (0-2) at Minnesota Vikings (1-0-1), MINNESOTA

San Francisco 49ers (1-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (2-0), KANSAS CITY

Los Angeles Chargers (1-1) at Los Angeles Rams (2-0), RAMS

Chicago Bears (1-1) at Arizona Cardinals (0-2), ARIZONA

Dallas Cowboys (1-1) at Seattle Seahawks (0-2), DALLAS

New England Patriots (1-1) at Detroit Lions (0-2), NEW ENGLAND

Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-0), PITTSBURGH

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Messiah » Sep 23, '18, 10:49 am

Messiah wrote:Jets

Saints vs Falcons (this is the game of the week IMO)
Broncos vs Ravens UPSET
Colts vs Eagles UPSET
Bengals vs Panthers
Titans vs Jaguars
Giants vs Texans UPSET
Raiders vs Dolphins UPSET
Packers vs Redskins
Bills vs Vikings (that spread tho)
49ers vs Chiefs
Chargers vs Rams UPSET
Bears vs Cardinals
Cowboys vs Seahawks
Patriots vs Lions
Steelers vs Buccaneers

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 23, '18, 12:42 pm

Patrick Mahomes making plays that you couldn't even do on Madden

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Sep 23, '18, 2:01 pm

My picks this week are fugged lol

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Sep 24, '18, 9:01 am

I want to make special note that I picked Tampa, but just noticed I forgot to mark it as an upset. I don't want to edit the post now to make it look fishy, just wanted to point that out.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Sep 25, '18, 12:04 pm

RESULTS

Xgamr: 10-7, hit one upset
DBSoT: 8-8, hit one upset
The Legend: 8-9 (hit one upset)
Everlong: 7-9
Messiah: 7-10, hit one upset

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Sep 26, '18, 10:34 am

Everlong wrote:RESULTS

Xgamr: 10-7, hit one upset
DBSoT: 8-8, hit one upset
The Legend: 8-9 (hit one upset)
Everlong: 7-9
Messiah: 7-10, hit one upset

Can we all agree to just forget this week happened?

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL