It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:33 pm

Is Charlotte going to be the Roman Reigns/John Cena of the women's division?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Is Charlotte going to be the Roman Reigns/John Cena of the women's division?

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 19, '18, 11:39 pm

She ended Asuka's streak at Wrestlemania and in her first match back at Summerslam, ended Carmella's title reign as well as going over Becky Lynch in the same match. After the match, they actually turned Becky heel by having her attack Charlotte. This got Becky a massive pop and got Charlotte "you deserve it" chants, because it was obvious to everyone that Becky was the fan favorite ahead of Charlotte. Why creative would just throw away Becky Lynch's babyface momentum when it was practically being served to them on a silver platter is beyond me, unless you go with the explanation that they have a really hard time booking babyfaces on the main roster and would rather just turn them heel to make them interesting. This is what happened to Nakamura, who went heel and then proceed to lose every match he had against Styles.

Back to Charlotte though: Will they keep her the top babyface of the Smackdown women's division just because that's the role that's been set in stone for her, despite fan reactions?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Is Charlotte going to be the Roman Reigns/John Cena of the women's division?

Postby The Legend » Aug 20, '18, 12:17 pm

The crowd may have been behind Becky winning last night (as was I), but I was happy to see her turn heel, because her face character is worse than any John Cena/Roman Reigns character has ever been. If I never hear her say straight fire again it'll be too soon and the heel character falls in line with the desperation she's supposedly been feeling after the last couple years. I would have had her turn heel and still win, but if they have Becky win at HIAC they can still salvage things for both characters. Charlotte does in fact need to stay away from the title scene for a while after this, but as for her, she's the only woman on SD capable of carrying the face of the division moniker.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Re: Is Charlotte going to be the Roman Reigns/John Cena of the women's division?

Postby Hanley! » Aug 20, '18, 5:19 pm

Turning Becky heel was idiotic. I watched a quick video of the heel turn and its reaction, and found it quite funny. The company don't have a clue how to book faces. Becky is the more popular performer of the two. She's the more sympathetic of the two, both in general and particularly in this story. She spent months earning a title shot only to have Charlotte thrown into the match at the last minute just because. Then when Becky had Carmella beaten, Charlotte stole the win from her.

You can't make Becky the heel at that point. She was 100% going to get cheered, no matter the crowd. The fans have no incentive to cheer for Charlotte in this scenario. How can they not see this?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 21, '18, 9:16 pm

I saw people on Reddit predicting that Becky was gonna go out on Smackdown and cut the typical heel turn promo about how the fans didn't support her and so this is their fault too, etc, despite that obviously not being true in this situation. And that's exactly what she did. :facepalm

And I thought it was a strong promo too in terms of her delivery, but when creative keeps plowing forward with their standard template and seemingly making no attempt at listening to the audience or having things make sense, it's hard to care. Becky is about to become the reverse Roman.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Return to WWE