It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:03 pm

Summerslam title matches set

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Summerslam title matches set

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 24, '18, 7:52 pm

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe for the WWE Championship. What's TNA doing in the Universe Zone!?

And also Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns... :angry2 :angry2 :angry2 :angry2

Crowd is expected to turn on this match like a motherfucker (who can blame them). So I think there's a good chance this is where Braun cashes in to save things.

Does Joe beat AJ?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Summerslam title matches set

Postby The Legend » Jul 25, '18, 9:48 am

Joe vs AJ should be a great match, but truthfully, I'm a little puzzled how Joe just jumped to the front of the line.

As for the Roman vs Brock match, I would have had Lashley win and face Brock and further the whole keeping Roman away from the world title story they were trying to tell. That being said, now that he's fighting Brock again they just need to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the Roman title reign. The stubborn fight on both the fans and the WWE thing is just insane. The fans are sure Roman will make a terrible champion and resent him at every turn, and the WWE are sure they can find a story where the fans cheer Roman. It's not working.

Roman needs to win the title at SummerSlam and start his reign, momentary reaction be damned. Once Reigns has the belt they need to work towards getting the crowd on his side through some aggressive and creative booking and just having him fight every week and see what happens. They can't bail the moment out with a cash in.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jul 25, '18, 3:19 pm

The Legend wrote:Joe vs AJ should be a great match, but truthfully, I'm a little puzzled how Joe just jumped to the front of the line.

As for the Roman vs Brock match, I would have had Lashley win and face Brock and further the whole keeping Roman away from the world title story they were trying to tell. That being said, now that he's fighting Brock again they just need to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the Roman title reign. The stubborn fight on both the fans and the WWE thing is just insane. The fans are sure Roman will make a terrible champion and resent him at every turn, and the WWE are sure they can find a story where the fans cheer Roman. It's not working.

Roman needs to win the title at SummerSlam and start his reign, momentary reaction be damned. Once Reigns has the belt they need to work towards getting the crowd on his side through some aggressive and creative booking and just having him fight every week and see what happens. They can't bail the moment out with a cash in.

Joe vs Styles should hopefully be good. They're two of the most talented guys on the roster and they're capable of stealing the show. But they haven't booked Styles to steal the show in ages. They book his world title run like an IC championship run. His matches rarely have the time, layout or finish to steal the show in the way that we know Styles can.

Smackdown just hasn't been a well run show lately, despite the talent on the roster. For instance, as you touched on, they should have been building up Samoa Joe in preparation for this feud. Joe seemed like the obvious choice for Styles at Summerslam, they've probably been planning it for a month or two, so they could have given him a win at the last couple of pay per views to build him for a title match.

I should be excited for Joe vs Styles, and I do think it's the best title match for Summerslam, but given WWE's track record, I feel confident they'll find a way to fuck it up.

Reigns vs Lesnar on the other hand, is a train wreck. It's an embarrassment that they're running with this match again. Fans do not care about this match. They weren't interested in it three years ago, and they've completely turned on it now. Fans are sick of Lesnar, they hate Reigns, and they'll shit on this. And they should. Please nobody watch this pay per view. WWE deserve no encouragement for this stubborn bullshit.

I agree that Reigns should win here, because Lesnar's title reign is shit, and Lesnar brings nothing to the table. WWE keep bending over backwards for him because he's perceived as such a big star, but it doesn't matter how big a star he is if he actively makes the show worse, and that's what he's been doing for the last year.

Reigns isn't a face though. They've been working towards getting the crowd on his side for three years. It can't be done. Because the fans can be stubborn too. Imagine trying a new meal at a restaurant and it makes you vomit. A few months later you give it another chance and it makes you vomit again. If someone offers it to you a third time, you're going to turn it down. It doesn't matter how well the meal has been prepared, it just won't look appetising to you anymore. That's Roman Reigns.

Reigns can be a great top heel if they decide to pull their heads out of their asses. He can be a terrible top face if they stay the course. And I mean historically bad. Ratings and attendance are already way down, but they'd get much worse. Or they can kick the can down the road; do the cowardly thing and have someone cash in Money in the Bank and postpone Reigns' run AGAIN. I'm expecting that's the option they'll go with.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 25, '18, 5:26 pm

The only way to go with Roman Reigns at this point is full-on heel. It's so blatantly obvious that this is the best decision for his character, but they either can't see it or they just wanna continue with the lazy "John Cena 2.0" shtick. But John Cena actually had a clear and established set of morals. He would cut passionate promos over and over again that he was okay with anybody's opinion of him and would not turn his back on his fans no matter what. Roman Reigns on the other hand frequently acts like a smug dick or a guy who thinks he's straight up better than you. And every time he plays the more heelish role in a match (Roman vs Styles in 2016, Roman vs Lashley recently) he fucking nails it and is just so much better and more natural than when he's a babyface. I don't get why they can't/won't commit to this full-time, and they have had so many chances to do it - especially after he "retired" Taker.

If I was trying to get out of this Summerslam shit sandwhich and appease all parties while attempting to do things as closely as WWE would in real life, I would have Lesnar beat Reigns clean again. This keeps Brock looking strong (for UFC I guess?) and Reigns still gets teased that he can't beat Brock in the months to come which adds to his frustration. Then I would have Strowman cash in post-match on a relatively ready-to-go Brock. Strowman would just completely dominate Brock for 10-15 minutes like Brock did to Cena at Summerslam 2014. This 1) finally gets the belt off Brockoly, 2) once again keeps him looking relativity strong, and 3) doesn't make Strowman look like too much of a coward since he waited for Brock to recover from the match a bit before challenging him. Then I would have Seth Rollins eventually take the belt off Strowman in a great match. Roman would be in the background always cutting the same promos about how he's been screwed by management and deserves a title shot, even though he lost to Lesnar AGAIN and clearly should go to the back of the line. It would be just like what's happening with Roman now that's pissing off so many people, except he would act like an entitled dick on a constant basis until eventually becoming a full-blown heel. Then it can all culminate with Rollins vs Reigns at Wrestlemania or something.

As for Joe, he's one of the best in the business currently but he needs a big win to back it all up. I'd have him beat AJ at Summerslam, which would also do more to justify all the rematches they're obviously going to have on the next couple PPVs. Joe reigns as Smackdown's champion until Bryan dethrones him at Wrestlemania.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Return to WWE