It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:43 pm

Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Everlong » Apr 08, '18, 10:07 pm

That was perhaps the most fun match of the night, right there with the opening Triple Threat. THere were a couple other matches that stood out too, but I think I'm biased toward this one even more because I came into it with such low expectations. They pulled it off about as well as they possibly could.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 08, '18, 10:21 pm

Yeah it was legit fun as hell. It's nice to see something with low expectations surpass them. Ronda looked better than I think even her most ardent supporters could have expected in her first match. The crowd went apeshit for her and were into the whole match.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Apr 08, '18, 10:22 pm

Yeah there were definitely points where yo ucould tell Ronda is green but they hid hear weaknesses nicely and when she got on the mat she looked legitimately great. Had pretty good presence for a first-time in-ring performer too.

I think she's got quite a bit of potential.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 08, '18, 10:34 pm

Really good and fun match. Everyone was booked perfectly and was able to shine. Even Angle had his moment and felt like the Kurt Angle of old for a moment there, though it's clear he can't work a full match anymore.

I'm concerned about being able to keep this momentum going for Rousey though. I expected her to just go in there and dominate, but she ended up taking quite a beating as well. It did make the match better, but it may not work in the future if she starts doing feuds with the normal women competitors and takes as much bumps as they do, it might weaken her gimmick.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 09, '18, 1:06 am

I found it to be pretty mediocre and by the numbers, but there were a few funny moments. Triple H getting punched in the corner looking like he was being tickled made me lose it.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 09, '18, 6:55 am

How was Angle?

Rousey's weaknesses going forward will be picked apart but it seems like it was a fun match to make her in-ring debut and well received.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '18, 7:53 am

It was fun, but typical WWE that the longest match of the night included Triple H and Stephanie McMahon.

Triple H also had the longest match at WrestleMania 33.
2nd longest match at WrestleMania 32 (27 mins, which would have been the longest match on most 'Manias if not for Undertaker/Shane LOL having the longest)
and WrestleMania 31
and WrestleMania 30
and WrestleMania 29
and WrestleMania 28
and WrestleMania 27

I mean... come on.

We all thought Triple H's reign of terror ended in 2005 at WrestleMania 21, or maybe some of us thought 2006 at WrestleMania 22, or maybe a few of us thought in 2009 at WrestleMania 25 (granted, he won that). No matter what, we would have been wrong. It's just more subtle nowadays.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 09, '18, 9:49 am

^^^^

He lost 6 of those 8 matches in fairness.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '18, 11:00 am

That is being apologetic towards him. Sure, he's lost those matches, but he has still been in the most featured match of WrestleMania every single year. That is a joke.

As a matter of fact, how about we look at every WrestleMania Triple H has competed at since WrestleMania 2000. He has competed at every single one except WrestleMania 23 when he was out due to injury. It comes out to 18 WrestleMania's for Triple H.

In those 18 matches...
- Triple H was in the longest match in 11 of them (the crazy part about this too is Triple H at no point in his career was considered the best in-ring worker in the WWE, so why in the hell does he get the longest match at over 50% of the WrestleMania's he competes at?)
- Triple H was in the world title match in 9 of them
- Triple H was in the main event in 7 of them (more than Rock, Austin, Cena, and without checking I think The Undertaker?)
- The only 2 WrestleMania's where he wasn't in either the longest match, world title match, or main event in 18 WrestleMania's were WM 17 and WM 26. WrestleMania 17, he was still the co-main event back when there was only 1 title and Rock/Austin were headlining. WrestleMania 26 is the only time where you could say he took a back-seat and I'd still argue he didn't because he beat the up-and-coming Sheamus.

So in 16 WrestleMania's, Triple H has had a super prominent role. He's been involved in matches that nobody wanted to see for no other reason that he has an inflated ego of himself.

When Brock Lesnar returned, nobody said, "I can't wait to see him face Triple H at WrestleMania next year!" Alas.

When Sting debuted, nobody said, "I can't wait to see him face Triple H at WrestleMania next year!" Alas.

When Roman Reigns was on the up-and-up and barely lost to Lesnar at the WrestleMania before, nobody said, "I can't wait to see him face Triple H at WrestleMania next year!" Alas.

When Rollins won the WWE Championship in the main event of WrestleMania, nobody said, "I can't wait to see him face Triple H at WrestleMania next year!" Alas.

When Rousey debuted at the Royal Rumble, nobody said, "I can't wait to see her in a match with Triple H at WrestleMania!" Alas.

Triple H has for 19 years forced himself into matches with big stars that nobody ideally wanted to see him paired with. He has made sure his match has went on the longest, or been in the main event, or been the world title match. And what is crazy about it the most is... Triple H is not the star that the company or himself seem to think he is. He isn't Undertaker. He isn't Cena. He isn't Rock. He isn't Austin. Hell, he doesn't even generate the reactions that Punk, Bryan, or Reigns get. Triple H at his peak was great, but he's always seen himself as a bigger star than he actually is. I mean, honestly. When was the last time anyone said, "man, can't wait to see what Triple H does!"? Some of us might not like Undertaker, but whether he shows up or not is at least something we talk about with interest. Not Triple H. And yet, somehow, someway, he makes sure he is a central fucking focus of every WrestleMania.

It is a joke. And hence this gif:

Indirectly or directly, Triple H manages to bury everyone else by making sure he's "the man" in some way, shape, or fashion. So the fact that he may or may not have lost at most of those WrestleMania's doesn't mean a damn thing to me because at the end of the day, we all know that next year, Triple H will find a way to make sure his match goes on the longest (god forbid he main events or has another world title match). And it is hurting the product.

And stop with his "extravagant" entrances that aren't good anyway. It is another example of the WWE, or Triple H himself, presenting Triple H as some holier-than-thou figure.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '18, 11:08 am

Triple H is a lot like Call of Duty. It is guaranteed every year and will almost assuredly get the most hype and glamour out of any other video game, but it sees itself as being better than it actually is when in reality it hasn't been interesting or good in years. Triple H's version of DLC is randomly showing up throughout the year to appear in other prominent matches that he doesn't deserve while he unfortunately steals the money of thousands, if not millions, of fans (vs Punk in 2011 AND HE FUCKING WON, Survivor Series this past year, the Survivor Series Sting debuted, I mean you get the gist).

But keep doing you, Trips.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 09, '18, 11:19 am

Man do you ever hate the dude. It's unhealthy.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '18, 11:26 am

Str8Shooter wrote:Man do you ever hate the dude. It's unhealthy.

Lol, I definitely don't hate any man that I've never met. I think you are taking me making points about how he's overbooked a different kind of way. You said he's lost in 6 of the 8 matches. I was merely retorting why it doesn't matter because it hasn't affected the role he has been in and you can't even argue he's really made anyone a star out of it. Bryan was already super over. Same with Rollins and Rollins career, if anything, stagnated tenfold by feuding with Triple H.

Are you saying you disagree with what I'm saying?

That is all my post was doing. I mean, I don't get any perspective that equates to Triple H being worthy of the positions he has been put in in just even the last 6 years. Do you think him beating Sting made an iota of sense? How about Punk? Or Sheamus? And none of those guys ever got a win over him. Triple H destroyed Sheamus in the build-up to HHH/Undertaker in a laughable fashion. Punk never faced Triple H again after because I guess Punk wasn't worthy of beating him.

If you think I hate him then fair enough, no reason to talk about it. I'm just explaining why there is a Triple H problem with the WWE.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '18, 11:30 am

HHH has always had an inferiority complex. That's why the King of Kings gimmick is so hilarious, it's trying so hard to push him as ONE OF THEEEEE BIGGEST STARS OF ALL TIME.

And to be fair to him, he was a pretty big star and pretty fun to watch for quite a while. But he's NEVER been *THE* guy in WWE. Ever. Even in 2003-2005 when he held the WHC for basically the whole time, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar were far and away more over and doing better work.

He has to come out every year and remind us that he's still here and that he is/was awesome, but has always vastly overestimated how much people care about him.

The funny thing is I think if he'd ever learned how to control his ego he'd be one of the most beloved stars of the last two decades.

And this is coming from someone who's always considered himself a HHH fan.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 09, '18, 11:30 am

I like Triple H.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Apr 09, '18, 11:36 am

Str8Shooter wrote:He lost 6 of those 8 matches in fairness.

But that's obviously how he justifies putting himself in these prominent positions. It's how he sells it to Vince, and how he gets fans to accept it. If he's not winning these matches, then it must be totally selfless, right? Never mind the fact that he's still taking one of the biggest spots on the card and one of the biggest pay days on the card from someone better and someone who deserves it more.

Triple H has a funny way of putting people over, because by now fans have an inherent understanding that a loss will not adversely affect his spot on the card. But at the same time, a win over Triple H need not mean much of anything.

Look at those matches that he lost a bit more closely. He lost to the Undertaker at WM28, but then arguably had a better spot than him the following year (a worse match, but that's not the point) - he got to beat Lesnar, Undertaker only got to beat Punk. He lost to Bryan at Wrestlemania 30, but at Wrestlemania 31 he had a heavily promoted singles match against Sting, and Bryan was tossed in with all the intercontinental geeks in a practically meaningless ladder match. He lost to Rollins last year, and this year Rollins gets to jerk the curtain. He's really been feeling the benefits of last year's rub, hasn't he?

It's another piece of intelligent maneuvering from Triple H. If he had been winning all of these major matches, audiences would have become vocally pissed off with him and it might have been harder to justify maintaining his Wrestlemania spot for this long.

I heard this was one of the best matches of the night last night, and if so then you have to give credit to all concerned. But it is a bit annoying, because it just makes it easier to justify giving them a major spot again next year. And I have no real interest in seeing Triple H in a ring again. Meanwhile Stephanie has instant change the channel, turn off the pay per view, unsubscribe from the Network heat with me. I cannot bring myself to watch her anymore.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '18, 11:37 am

It is less to do with whether I like Triple and more of me just being tired of being in these high profile matches. There are better alternatives. I’m not saying he should never wrestle again, but why does he have to be involved with everything that is popular?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 09, '18, 11:58 am

I'm not saying he'd undeserving of any criticism, and there's plenty I can't defend. There was no reason for him to beat Sting other than Vince proving WWE is/was better than WCW. He didn't need to get involved in the Punk stuff with Kevin Nash etc. But I do think the Triple H hate and his "ego" and "inferiority complex" that always get talked about have reached a mythical "meme" like level where his reputation and the rumour of it makes a bunch of people automatically view anything he's involved in as bad or him trying to get himself over.

Many of those Mania matches that were long were also some of the best matches on the card. I also don't necessarily believe that when he's in these matches with Rollins or Reigns or Bryan he's doing it for himself. He very well might believe he's a big deal and beating him will help those people out, whether it does or not can be debated but I believe he believes its' doing good for them.

He also deserves credit for NXT and where it is now. Lots of guys like Finn, Owens, Sami, Samoe Joe, Nakamura, even AJ probably aren't even in the company if he doesn't have a large role like he does. This has helped the product immensely. 205 Live was trash until a couple months ago when Vince passed full control to Trips and it instantly became noticeably better.

I'll put it this way, I think he's a net positive for WWE.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '18, 12:20 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I'll put it this way, I think he's a net positive for WWE.

Yeah taking everything into account and not just his on stage persona, I agree with this.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 09, '18, 12:32 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:He also deserves credit for NXT and where it is now. Lots of guys like Finn, Owens, Sami, Samoe Joe, Nakamura, even AJ probably aren't even in the company if he doesn't have a large role like he does. This has helped the product immensely. 205 Live was trash until a couple months ago when Vince passed full control to Trips and it instantly became noticeably better.

I'll put it this way, I think he's a net positive for WWE.

He's definitely a net positive and he gets a ton of credit for NXT and the other creative control things he does. And he'd be even better at it if he were to focus all of his energy on those efforts and stay out of the ring for good. The problem isn't Paul Levesque. The problem is HHH and the power hungry McMahon family at this point overwhelms the show with its stale and repetitive nature.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Apr 09, '18, 12:35 pm

On a side note, does anyone remember @Everlong's "Triple H has turned his back on the fans" thread?

Contender for the best thread of all time tbh.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Next

Return to WWE