It is currently: May 14, '24, 12:26 pm

Music Club Meeting #4 - "AM" by Arctic Monkeys

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

Music Club Meeting #4 - "AM" by Arctic Monkeys

Postby prophet » May 21, '14, 2:12 pm

Seeing as how DanielsonTHAGOAT has gone missing I figure I'll set up the music club this time around. SO I've gone with my 2013 album of the year and album number 5 from the Arctic Monkeys "AM". NME rated it 10.0 and called it the album of the year and I can't help but agree. Quality music from the Yorkshire lads, give it a listen if you have the time and let me know what you think!

#1 - 'Do I Wanna Know?'

#2 - 'R U Mine'

#3 - 'One For The Road'

#4 - 'Arabella'

#5 - 'I Want It All'

#6 - 'No.1 Party Anthem'

#7 - 'Mad Sounds'

#8 - 'Fireside'

#9 - 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?'

#10 - 'Snap Out Of It'

#11 - 'Knee Socks'

#12 - 'I Wanna Be Yours'

I'm not nearly as committed as my music club predecessor to provide you all with a detailed background on every track so you'll have to research for yourself if you'd like to know more. What I will say is I went to see them a few months ago in Sheffield and they were fucking quality.

Enjoy the album!
:punk2

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Music Club Meeting #4 - "AM" by Arctic Monkeys

Postby Viazon » May 21, '14, 5:17 pm

I was one of the biggest advocators of the music club and I feel ashamed that I havent taken part it any yet, despite my promises to do so. But so help me God, I will listen to this album.

It may not be until the weekend but I will do it and I will come back with my thoughts.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 21, '14, 8:35 pm

I have not heard all the songs yet but my local radio station plays the piss out of these guys and I have heard nothing but good things about the album. The songs I have heard are fucking great, they have a very unique sound to them that is just awesome. I will have to give the whole album a go this weekend

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '14, 1:54 pm

Now that @DanielsonTHAGOAT is back I demand you listen to the album I posted in your stead.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby UTK » Jul 11, '14, 4:10 pm

Oh shit, I started this thing back up again and I didn't even do it. I'll do it soon, I swear.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 11, '14, 10:11 pm

@prophet

#1 - 'Do I Wanna Know?' - first off, I love the opening guitar riff and how gritty the song sounds. I love the falsetto backing vocals the accompany the main singing layer. The only thing I dislike is the breakdown during the chorus, I wanted something a little heavier but other than that, phenomenal track. 9/10

#2 - 'R U Mine' - i heard they were inspired by Drake when they made this song :P . I love this song, brilliant writing, drums are great and heavy. the drums by far are the best part of this song, the drum rolls on this song are a thing of beauty. The lyrics are phenomenal "satisfaction seems like a distant memory". "She's a silver lining climbing on my desire". Favorite track off the album. 10/10

#3 - 'One For The Road' - whewww that bassline is so fucking nasty. nice and gritty just like the opening guitar riff of 'Do I Wanna Know'. Once again, the falsetto vocals provide such a great melody. It really gives the track life especially when it's layered with the main vocal at times. Lyrics are really great on this as well. 9/10

#4 - 'Arabella' - wow the lyrics on this one are amazing. "and when she needs a shelter from reality, she dips into my daydreams". Everything else sits well on this song, the lyrics are definitely my favorite part of this song. 8/10

#5 - 'I Want It All' - This song was pretty meh. It wasn't bad or good just average for me. 6/10

#6 - 'No.1 Party Anthem' - I really like this song. The story being told in this song is great. I also love how Alex is sarcastically saying how this song is the "No. 1 Party Anthem" despite it being a slow ballad. It's really creative, light hearted, and is great sonically. 9/10

#7 - 'Mad Sounds' - - 'Mad Sounds' - I'm not sure the best way to follow up a ballad on an album is to have another slower ballad. However, the track is still extremely powerful and the melodies during the bridge of the song are intoxicating. Although the lyrics are not as strong as No. 1 Party Anthem, I can still lean back and vibe out to this song. 8/10

#8 - 'Fire Side' - This track was a little meh sonically to me but the lyrics were once again REALLY good. I think i just need to sit on this song a couple of times to enjoy it. 7/10

#9 - 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High' - I like how light hearted this track was compared to No 1 Party Anthem. I've noticed the second half of the album is much more peaceful and slower in tempo. I enjoy this song, it doesn't drag on too long. It's short and sweet. - 8.5/10

#10 - 'Snap Out Of It' - This song is cool too. I see the theme of the album right now, it's really cool. Alex is really, really talented at writing songs. idk how many times i've mentioned how much I like his writing. I like the bluesy feel with the piano and drums. - 8/10

#11 - 'Knee Socks' - This song captures the tempo of the first half of the album. It's enjoyable but this is the first song on the album that the lyrics are forgettable. Still groovy though. - 7/10

#12 - 'I Wanna Be Yours' - Great ending to the album. Follows the theme of love all throughout the album. It's brilliant. Love how it builds up in the outro of the track. You can really hear how vulnerable Alex is here just be loved.

Overall prophet, I'd give this album a 8.6/10. It slacked off a little bit on the second half but the first half is pure brilliant. Also, I think Alex might be one of the best songwriters (if he writes his lyrics) in music today. I'd put him and Frank Ocean up there as elite singer/songwriters of today.

Great choice, phenomenal album. I'm definitely keeping this in rotation.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby prophet » Jul 15, '14, 8:55 am

@DanielsonTHAGOAT as far as I'm aware he does write all his own lyrics, yeah. Props for actually checking the album out!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Ace » Jul 15, '14, 9:45 am

Great group. I used to listen to the back like 6 years ago or so & Favourite Worst Nightmare was an awesome album. Very much enjoyed Florescent Adolescence. I didn't really keep up with them. Then my girlfriend's brother mentioned them & I listen to this album a few times over.

Great beats & catchy tones. Pretty rockin vocals. Most alternative/indie fans would agree that their older stuff had a different kind of style to it. Some would say it got better & others would argue that it got worse. For me it's just different. I like the entire album. "R U Mine" & "Mad Sounds" are my favorites of the album. I always replay the ooh la la la from "Mad Sounds :P "I also loved "Do I Wanna Know" & "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High". The only thing against these two songs is that they're the only 2 songs played from this album on the alternative/indie station that I listen to so I've heard enough of them & then some.

Other than that, awesome album. Overall 8.9/10 :moocow

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35

Postby UTK » Oct 22, '14, 7:13 pm

UTK wrote:Oh shit, I started this thing back up again and I didn't even do it. I'll do it soon, I swear.

I wasn't lying!

Arctic Monkeys are an extremely talented group. I've never listened to a full album by them, not because I didn't want to, but just because....I just haven't. So I'm glad this album (which I would definitely say is their most known album at the moment) is nicely laid out for me.

This album has a great feel, and a great flow to it. I've heard "Do I Wanna Know" and "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High" about ten thousand times thanks to radio overplay, but I still think they're both very good songs. My favorite song would either be "No. 1 Party Anthem" or "Snap Out of It."

If I had to give the album an overall rating it'd probably be 7.5 or 8 out of 10. Very enjoyable.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Return to Music