It is currently: May 14, '24, 8:54 pm

Music Club Meeting #1 - "Have One on Me" by Joanna Newsom

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

Music Club Meeting #1 - "Have One on Me" by Joanna Newsom

Postby UTK » Feb 27, '14, 2:42 pm

First music club meeting. Beautiful album provided by myself. It totals around two hours: which I think is a testament to Newsom. Listen, and comment. You can say whatever you like, but to push discussion I suggest maybe talking about how you like/dislike her style, favorite song, least favorite song, and so on.

When I get back from the virgin islands, I'll randomly pick someone who's interested in submitting an album for next Thursday.

Enjoy!

ARTIST: Joanna Newsom
ALBUM: Have One on Me

Released February 23, 2010
Recorded 2009
Genre Indie folk, avant-garde, baroque pop
Length 124:08
Language English
Label Drag City
Producer Joanna Newsom

The album received universal critical acclaim, and ranked #1 on About's Best Records of 2010, among dozens of other top lists.

Some are lyric videos, some are not.

DISC ONE

TRACK 1: "Easy"

TRACK 2: "Have One on Me"

TRACK 3: "81"

TRACK 4: "Good Intentions Paving Company"

TRACK 5: "No Provenance"

TRACK 6: "Baby Birch"

DISC TWO

TRACK 1: "On a Good Day"

TRACK 2: "You and Me, Bess"
(I couldn't find the studio version anywhere for some reason)

TRACK 3: "In California"

TRACK 4: "Jackrabbits"

TRACK 5: "Go Long"

TRACK 6: "Occident"

DISC THREE

TRACK 1: "Soft as Chalk"

TRACK 2: "Esme"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EHemagYSs8&list=PL8E449FE31DD4D3B5&index=14[/youtube]

TRACK 3: "Autumn"

TRACK 4: "Ribbon Bows"

TRACK 5: "Kingfisher"

TRACK 6: "Does Not Suffice"

Post below! Let's try to get this to be active as possible!

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Music Club Meeting #1 - "Have One on Me" by Joanna Newsom

Postby UTK » Mar 04, '14, 2:26 pm

I'm glad you all discussed so well while I was away!

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 04, '14, 4:12 pm

I'm going to do a few songs at a time. First and foremost I am sorry if this is like your favorite album or this chick is your sister or something but I find her voice really squeaky and child like. She reminds me of Lisa Simpson. That said I am trying to listen to everything. I vow to give every song anyone posts at least 3 minutes of time.

So yeah so far she sounds kind of nasally as for the song themselves "Easy" was okay I guess, there were times where she seemed more like she was talking instead of singing. That's fine, that's what folk is and I like folk music. But only when they have something interesting to say.

I feel like I didn't get the point of "Have One on Me" it really didn't make sense to me but I guess I could be missing something here.

"81" was probably the best of the ones I have listened to so far but I didn't think much of it. The interments were at least nice.

Same for the "Good Intentions Paving Company" didn't hate them but really nothing there.

"No Provenance" her pacing was a bit better and her voice almost didn't sound as squeaky. Not a bad song.

Okay FINALLY I liked "Baby Birch" best song from Disc 1 for sure. Good paced and mellow. If she sung with this mellow relaxed voice in every song I may even like her.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 04, '14, 4:53 pm

I think a 2 hour CD is kind of ridiculous. I mean most of my favorite albums are 40-70 mins in length.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Everlong » Mar 04, '14, 5:22 pm

I've listened to a few so far, I'll have thoughts up sometime tomorrow.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby UTK » Mar 04, '14, 6:33 pm

I suppose 2 hours is a tad long, especially for something like this. But I really wanted to display a unique album that I also loved as a way to (re)introduce the concept of this thing.

ShaneOfan wrote:I'm going to do a few songs at a time. First and foremost I am sorry if this is like your favorite album or this chick is your sister or something but I find her voice really squeaky and child like.

So yeah so far she sounds kind of nasally

It's not my favorite album, but I am a big fan.

Your comment about her voice sounding child-like is a common criticism. It's definitely a different style of singing. I won't dispute it, I just like it and some don't. As for your comment about her sounding nasally, I don't notice that. In fact, her voice sounds incredibly clear on this album to me (which adds to the harshness of her high notes, something that may contribute to your disliking of her.)

Shaneofan wrote:I feel like I didn't get the point of "Have One on Me" it really didn't make sense to me but I guess I could be missing something here.

I'm pretty sure it's a song about Lola Montez, a famous Irish-born Spanish dancer.

Thanks for getting the discussion ball rolling.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Mar 06, '14, 1:50 pm

Hadn't even noticed this topic got made. I am going away for the weekend so won't have anytime to give this a listen. But when I get back on Monday, I have time to relax and give this listen. Then I'll come back with my thoughts.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Mar 06, '14, 2:04 pm

First off, definitely agree that 2 hours is too long for something like this... I'm probably not going to listen to the whole thing, but I appreciate the choice.

I've seen some stuff you guys were saying about her voice being too childlike. I actually think it sounds pretty good. She reminds me of a cross between Dolly Parton and Regina Spektor, as odd as that sounds :lol. A unique sounding voice to be sure.

The ones I've listened to:

"Easy" - Interesting way to start off an album. Seemed like something you'd expect to be placed in the middle.

"Have One on Me" - Not very often you hear harp get used in contemporary music. Adds a nice dreamy touch. This song really picks up in the middle though with the strings and more upbeat tempo. Definitely elevated this one for me.

"'81" - Not really feeling this one quite as much. I think I'm kind of already starting to tire of the style. It's good for a song or two but I have a feeling I'd have a hard time listening to the whole album straight through.

"Good Intentions Paving Company" - This is the first song where her voice really grates on me. The nasal, wobbly tone of her voice is kind of distracting from what's a pretty decent piano riff and chord progression in this.

"No Provenance" - Nice lyrics in this one. There just seems to be a real lack of progression in the song though. I keep waiting for it to go somewhere but it doesn't. I've noticed that in most of these songs so far, actually.

That's all I've had a chance to listen to. I think she's decent, but I wouldn't necessarily put her into my iTunes. She's in a style/genre that I do typically enjoy, but she seems to be missing a little something for me.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 07, '14, 5:48 pm

I'm gonna edit this post and write about the first CD of the album. Just wanted to pick the next album for the second meeting, I got the perfect album but yeah I'll edit this post.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Return to Music