It is currently: May 08, '24, 3:19 pm

What did we think of The Walking Dead Finale?

Talk about movies and television in here!

What did we think of The Walking Dead Finale?

Postby prophet » Apr 04, '16, 4:35 pm

I thought it was stupid.

While I enjoyed Jeffrey Dean Morgan's portrayal of the character I couldn't help but feel Negan's opening monologue dragged a bit and the decision to end on a cliffhanger was fucking annoying. Negan's debut would've been so much more powerful if they'd have shown him flat out butcher someone (as in, shown the connection between Lucille and skull) before cutting to black.

I can't help but feel short-changed after watching that and the fact I've not been able to release the tension I've had anticipating someone dying has completely drained my enthusiasm for the show. Anyone else feel the same or did you guys enjoy it?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: What did we think of The Walking Dead Finale?

Postby PorkChop » Apr 04, '16, 4:48 pm

I thought it was tense, but it definitely dragged out a bit. It was quite a repetitive episode - Morgan going from place to place to save Carol, and the rest of them driving round the RV from place to place and turning back.

I really hate it when the add blood splatter effects to the camera. It's happened throughout past couple of series but is getting more and more frequent. When Darryl got shot there was a huge splatter on the screen, and now there's a dripping blood effect when Carl got beaten. I really, really hate it.

I'm anticipating each series less and less as it goes on. I really hope that the next series is the last.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Apr 04, '16, 5:05 pm

PorkChop wrote:I thought it was tense, but it definitely dragged out a bit. It was quite a repetitive episode - Morgan going from place to place to save Carol, and the rest of them driving round the RV from place to place and turning back.

I really hate it when the add blood splatter effects to the camera. It's happened throughout past couple of series but is getting more and more frequent. When Darryl got shot there was a huge splatter on the screen, and now there's a dripping blood effect when Carl got beaten. I really, really hate it.

I'm anticipating each series less and less as it goes on. I really hope that the next series is the last.

Interesting to hear you say you think it was Carl! Why is that?

For me it was either Daryl or Glenn purely because throughout the episode they kept going back to the POV of someone who was revealed to be trapped in the van (Daryl, Rosita, Glenn and Michonne) so I felt like it was the same POV at the end of whoever it was that got Lucille'd. If I had to put money on it I'd say it was Glenn although after his outburst they may feel like that would be too obvious so just decide to kill Daryl for the shock factor.

Man though, that cliffhanger was fucking stupid. They've really pissed me off and it has nothing to do with Negan. Also from my perspective Rick is the villain here; the guy went and murdered a bunch of saviours in their sleep no less based on the rumours he was told by people he'd only just met. How are supposed to begrudge Negan getting one back for his side after Rick's people had slaughtered so many already?

Fuck this show.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SlightlyJames » Apr 04, '16, 5:33 pm

Yeah idk why you think it's Carl either. Negan loves Carl. Cliffhanger was stupid as fuck and so was the blood drip on the camera.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Westcoastvibes » Apr 04, '16, 9:22 pm

I wish the episode would not have put emphasis on Negan killing for retribution and more towards tteaching a leason. It could have ended with the first crack of Lucille against skull but actually seeing who it was leaving the cliffhanger that persons fate and not "who was it"

I also agree with the POV theory, I dont think it was Daryl though. My thoughts would be Rosita or Glenn. If you watch the episode again all of the POV camera work from inside the box shows figures in front of the POV, when the box is opened the camera shot shows Daryl and Michone in the front with Glenn and Rosita rear. This tells me that the POV is either Glenn or Rosita.

I am leaning towards Rosita myself, simply because at the very end in the lineup Rosita was in line with the others but Glenn was cockeyed out of line almost facing the group. The stupid blood drip POV showed no persons in view just trees. I know thats a far fetched reason but its what I am going on simply because with abraham leaving her, her story is done as for glenn, he has always been the sensible one and my hopes is that he will go full shane before dying.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby PorkChop » Apr 05, '16, 2:52 am

I don't know why it's Carl either, actually. When it happened I was like "Holy shit that's Carl!" when in hindsight, there's nothing which really suggests that it is.

The finale is the lowest rated episode of Walking Dead ever on IMDB. People are really fucked off by it.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » Apr 05, '16, 12:41 pm

PorkChop wrote:I don't know why it's Carl either, actually. When it happened I was like "Holy shit that's Carl!" when in hindsight, there's nothing which really suggests that it is.

In fact, Carl, along with Rick, are the only two we can be sure are safe. Before Negan's bashed the persons head in, he said if anyone tries anything, then they will rip out Carl's other eye and feed it to Rick.

I thought it was a really good episode but was very disappointed with the ending. I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was great as Negan and I thought his introduction was really good. Sure, it may have dragged on a bit, but I think that was intentional to build up the tension more. I was really annoyed at the ending though. I thought it was stupid to not reveal who it was that got killed.

However, with that being said, I am trying to be objective about the whole thing. I don't blame readers of the comic book for getting angry. Because we all knew someone was going to die. So what we were all preparing for was exactly who that would be. By the time the show end, all we knew was that someone had died. But we already knew that would happen. So nothing was resolved for us. I think the creators of the show were thinking more about the wider audience. The TV audience is obviously much much larger than the number of people who read the comics. And how many of them really go online and read about what happened in the comics or what is going to happen in the show? Most people who watch the show probably don't know what is going to happen and had no idea someone would die. I think fans of the comics can be a bit annoying sometimes when they think they are the only ones who watch the show and when they get annoyed when things don't happen the way they expected it to. This cliff hanger was more for the wider audience. That's what TV shows do. It's what they have always done. They have cliff hangers.

With that being said, I still think it shouldn't have been a cliff hanger. I think them showing who Negan killed and showing the reaction of the rest of the group would have been a perfect way to end the season. I mean, how are they gonna start the first episode of the next season? By showing who died? You're not supposed to start a show with a death, you're supposed to end it. The creators of the show tried to justify it by saying that the fact that Negan's group basically got the drop on the main group is the end of the current story. The fact that he killed someone is the start of the new story. Which is why that's how season 7 will start. But a new story starts when the other one ends, so I think they could have very easily shown the death.

But hey, I don't create TV shows, so what do I know? I guess I just have to have faith that they will do a good job with it next season.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to Movies and TV