It is currently: May 10, '24, 6:47 am

Walking Dead introduces gay couple. Typical ignorant chaos ensues

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Walking Dead introduces gay couple. Typical ignorant chaos ensues

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:14 pm

No need to creep into ad hominem to make your point. I am not bigoted for feeling as if there is an agenda in today's Hollywood and in the media. It's also not a double standard because being Gay and being a Lesbian are different. People naturally react differently. Women are praised for their natural beauty so when you see two women kissing it's almost cute in a way, even from a non sexual perspective. Men aren't portrayed as sexy, they are portrayed as strong, masculine. The world reacts differently to them because they aren't the same thing.

On your other point, It's not a big deal that this Gay thing happened in the show. Every show has Gay people in it. Obviously not every show but it's not uncommon lol. So it never is a big deal. At least not all the time.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:15 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:To the second response, it's not as if they are hateful in real life, towards Gay people. It's hatred (hyperbole) towards FICTIONAL Gay people. I doubt those two guys who Tweeted that are part of the Westboro Baptist Church.

I don't see that as being an important distinction really. It's still being hateful entirely due to their sexuality. I severely doubt that the people reacting this way would behave any differently to gay people they encountered in the real world.

The real world isn't on your TV set. It's a lot different, being a "bigot" on the internet and actually performing hate crimes, lol. I think bigot has turned into a buzzword.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby SlightlyJames » Feb 24, '15, 9:22 pm

On your other point, It's not a big deal that this Gay thing happened in the show. Every show has Gay people in it. Obviously not every show but it's not uncommon lol. So it never is a big deal. At least not all the time.

Circled Square wrote:The real world isn't on your TV set. It's a lot different, being a "bigot" on the internet and actually performing hate crimes, lol. I think bigot has turned into a buzzword.

You're right, it's not a big deal. On a show where murder and mutilation is commonplace, the fact that people would balk at the idea of two dudes kissing for a few seconds is laughable. I don't see how you're failing to see the problem with the attitudes of these people. Being a spiteful person and discriminating based on sexuality doesn't disappear when someone turns off their computer. I'll happily not use the word bigot if you've a problem with it, will intolerant cunt do instead?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:27 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:On your other point, It's not a big deal that this Gay thing happened in the show. Every show has Gay people in it. Obviously not every show but it's not uncommon lol. So it never is a big deal. At least not all the time.

You're right, it's not a big deal. On a show where murder and mutilation is commonplace, the fact that people would balk at the idea of two dudes kissing for a few seconds is laughable. I don't see how you're failing to see the problem with the attitudes of these people. Being a spiteful person and discriminating based on sexuality doesn't disappear when someone turns off their computer. I'll happily not use the word bigot if you've a problem with it, will intolerant cunt do instead?

If you think, even for a split second, that bigots on the internet are usually bigots in real life, you're mistaken friend. You don't think they use the internet as an outlet for their bigotry? You think the same guys who are going to kill or harass a Gay person are the same ones who do so via Twitter? With cheeto puff stains on their fingers and mountain dew running down their shirts? :lol

And that thing about "b-b-but murder and mutilation" is irrelevant. This is a social issue. Violence has been glorified for a long time now, and why does it surprise you that people are more interested in the social aspects of the show than the generic murder and killing?

Oh, and intolerable cunt is a perfect word for Liberals to use. Nothing like a little hypocrisy to really solidify the argument.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 24, '15, 9:29 pm

This is really not that much different then when "Night of the Living Dead" came out and people were up in arms that the male lead was a black man. The only difference is these two dudes are side characters at best. People were wrong to be upset then and they are wrong to be upset now.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 24, '15, 9:32 pm

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby SlightlyJames » Feb 24, '15, 9:35 pm

Circled Square wrote:If you think, even for a split second, that bigots on the internet are usually bigots in real life, you're mistaken friend. You don't think they use the internet as an outlet for their bigotry? You think the same guys who are going to kill or harass a Gay person are the same ones who do so via Twitter? With cheeto puff stains on their fingers and mountain dew running down their shirts? :lol

And that thing about "b-b-but murder and mutilation" is irrelevant. This is a social issue. Violence has been glorified for a long time now, and why does it surprise you that people are more interested in the social aspects of the show than the generic murder and killing?

I thought you didn't like the use of the word bigot? You've kept using it so I suppose I will as well. I don't see the logic that they're not bigots in real life. If that were the case, there would be no need for an "outlet" in the first place. I'm not saying they're going to head out and beat someone down or kill them based on these beliefs but I also don't think intolerance like this should just be hand-waved because it's on the internet.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Feb 24, '15, 9:36 pm

Circled Square wrote:I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The media has forced gayness down our throats (lmao) and every show now has to have the token gay person. Just like suspected Bond guys nowadays are sometimes black, how interracial relationships are being pushed through. The world is now so sensitive.

I think you are the one that's being too sensitive to be offended by people living their lives in a different way than you.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:40 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:If you think, even for a split second, that bigots on the internet are usually bigots in real life, you're mistaken friend. You don't think they use the internet as an outlet for their bigotry? You think the same guys who are going to kill or harass a Gay person are the same ones who do so via Twitter? With cheeto puff stains on their fingers and mountain dew running down their shirts? :lol

I thought you didn't like the use of the word bigot? You've kept using it so I suppose I will as well. I don't see the logic that they're not bigots in real life. If that were the case, there would be no need for an "outlet" in the first place. I'm not saying they're going to head out and beat someone down or kill them based on these beliefs but I also don't think intolerance like this should just be hand-waved because it's on the internet.

It's a lot better than the alternative. Would you like people to be banned for being bigots? I use this word because you use it. I don't have a personal vendetta against the word, the fuck lmao.

@TheLegend

I not once said I have anything against Gay people. That is nothing but slander and even though my back is against the wall here I haven't resorted to that level of namecalling.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Feb 24, '15, 9:46 pm

Circled Square wrote:It's a lot better than the alternative. Would you like people to be banned for being bigots? I use this word because you use it. I don't have a personal vendetta against the word, the fuck lmao.

You seemed to have been complaining about it earlier, fair enough then. I don't understand your point about this being 'better than the alternative'. I wouldn't like them to be banned, no. They're free to say that shit as much as they want no matter how insensitive it is, just like we're free to criticize their behavoiur.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:48 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:It's a lot better than the alternative. Would you like people to be banned for being bigots? I use this word because you use it. I don't have a personal vendetta against the word, the fuck lmao.

You seemed to have been complaining about it earlier, fair enough then. I don't understand your point about this being 'better than the alternative'. I wouldn't like them to be banned, no. They're free to say that shit as much as they want no matter how insensitive it is, just like we're free to criticize their behavoiur.

I agree with you, actually. :cheers

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Feb 24, '15, 9:50 pm

Circled Square wrote:But neither they, nor you, should be calling each other names. It's not right to say this guy is an intolerant* cunt just because he's against Gay people in the show. He can say that. If he said" sick of em queers on dat dang television dang flabbit" then yeah, he's worthy of some hate. But he didn't.

No, he said faggots instead.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 9:56 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:But neither they, nor you, should be calling each other names. It's not right to say this guy is an intolerant* cunt just because he's against Gay people in the show. He can say that. If he said" sick of em queers on dat dang television dang flabbit" then yeah, he's worthy of some hate. But he didn't.

No, he said faggots instead.

I know. I didn't scroll down to see the other Tweets, edited my post like 5 minutes before this reply lol.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 24, '15, 9:56 pm

Why are any of us arguing with a guy with a guy who has Adolf Hitler on his Sig?

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby SKS » Feb 24, '15, 9:57 pm

It's the internet, there are stupid people, there are bigots, there are trolls. This is nothing new. Talking about it just gives them what they want - attention. The sooner people stop being sensitive towards ignorant comments made by attention seeking randoms on twitter, the sooner they go away because people will simply stop caring and they will have no one left to offend.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 24, '15, 9:58 pm

This thread just had to come up when Tim was away and I was one of the people left in charge... :cussing

I'll just tell everybody to tread softly. A little healthy debate is good, but name calling is out of line and I would encourage everybody to read through their post before they post it and think about whether it's a good idea.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 10:00 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:Why are any of us arguing with a guy with a guy who has Adolf Hitler on his Sig?

Just because you have a different opinion than I doesn't make me inferior, or a troll. I've contributed to this website ever since I got here. I exist outside this thread you know.

I think it's been a good discussion thus far. Nobody's gotten hurt, maybe butthurt, but not hurt. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby DBSoT » Feb 24, '15, 10:09 pm

Circled Square wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:Why are any of us arguing with a guy with a guy who has Adolf Hitler on his Sig?

Just because you have a different opinion than I doesn't make me inferior, or a troll. I've contributed to this website ever since I got here. I exist outside this thread you know.

I think it's been a good discussion thus far. Nobody's gotten hurt, maybe butthurt, but not hurt. :lol
You know your right no one should judge you just because you are different and were born that way. Oh the irony.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Circled Square » Feb 24, '15, 10:11 pm

Can you explain that to me? I don't get it. An opinion = sexuality all of a sudden? I was born with the political opinions I have now? u wut m8

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Feb 24, '15, 10:14 pm

Circled Square wrote:
@TheLegend

I not once said I have anything against Gay people. That is nothing but slander and even though my back is against the wall here I haven't resorted to that level of namecalling.

Please point out to me where I either slandered you or called you a name. You can't really. I only commented on a specific retort you had in this discussion, a point that was completely accurate in the framework of what you had said and how you were representing yourself.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV