It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 3:59 am

Sony Cancels Release of 'The Interview'

Talk about movies and television in here!

Sony Cancels Release of 'The Interview'

Postby JDD » Dec 17, '14, 8:31 pm

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-scraps ... 201328639/

After the terrorist threats, all the sony hacks, and the top 5 movie theater chains deciding not to show he film Sony has canceled the release of the Seth Rogen/James Franco comedy 'The Interview'.

For those who don't know, this movie depicts the assassination of Kim Jong Un and has been a subject of controversy since the films first trailer was release. For the past few weeks, an anonymous hacking group has been leaking films and emails from Sony and terrorist threats have been made if this movie were to play.

In my opinion, this sets a pretty terrible precedent. Sony gave in to anonymous hackers. If anything this makes me want to see the movie more, when I didn't really have that much interest in it.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 78

Re: Sony Cancels Release of 'The Interview'

Postby Viazon » Dec 17, '14, 8:45 pm

JDD wrote:If anything this makes me want to see the movie more, when I didn't really have that much interest in it.

Perhaps that was the whole point.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 17, '14, 8:54 pm

I am on both sides of this.

on one hand, I can understand why sony would be concerned over the threats, especially since it was announced that North Korea was behind the threats and hackings. They do not want to take the chance of calling bluff because if they did go threw with the release and something happened it would not only ruin sony entertainment as a company but it would cause a shitstorm worldwide.

on the other hand, I can not believe that the US government is doing nothing about this. The have determined that North Korea is the sanctioning party in these cyber attacks and threats but they refuse to stand up. North Korea has threated to take the lives of American citizens on American soil, going as far to say the attacks would be on the scale of 9-11 attack. Shouldn't this be a major military concern? Why are we not emailing them video footage of a nuke going off with a subject title of "do you really want to play this game?"

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Matteo » Dec 18, '14, 3:44 am

This is just depressing. I find it quite disconcerting that Sony has cancelled the release of the film, irrespective of how mediocre it might have been. I thought film censorship had been rendered obsolete over the last 50 years. I mean, there is an outside entity (confirmed now to have originated in North Korea) threatening a corporation and the individual citizens of the United States if a particular film is released. I sincerely believe that the people of America (and any other state in general) should feel protected from such outside threats, and should not feel as though we must live in fear from them. It doesn't matter what the content of the film is - it is not right for one country to succumb to the apocalyptic rhetoric of another, especially when it comes to artistic mediums that are expressive and democratic. This is the 'thin edge of the wedge' and sets a dangerous precedent for the future.

What's next, Putin makes threats against South Park because he doesn't like being mocked? Islamic extremists carrying out similar threats for how they feel their religion and/or ideologies are being represented in films, video games and books? The Christian right wing? Where is the line drawn between exercising the hard-fought freedoms of the United States, including that of speech, and cowering in fear from every tyrant who makes an slothful threat? What Sony has done has set a perilous and misleading example.

And, besides, we all know North Korea have a maddening propensity to spout endless rhetoric and threats and never follow up on them. Every few months North Korea postulate silly babble to get attention from the international community and to receive more aid. Heck, North Korea understands that attacking the United States, a nuclear weapon state and the world's most commanding military superpower, is suicide. NK's only real ally, China, certainly would not allow it either. These idle threats are no different. This was simply a terrible decision by Sony and one that could consequently have many repercussions because it sends an egregious and vunlerable message.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby The Legend » Dec 18, '14, 7:13 am

^^^ I think what's next is Rusev goes on to be undefeated forever because Putin will get mad if he ever loses a match.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '14, 9:04 am

Since when do we actually listen to any kind of threat coming from North Korea? They've issued threats against the U.S. almost daily for the last decade, many of them way more plausible than this (yet equally ridiculous). I just don't understand.

THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SortaCreative » Dec 19, '14, 9:31 am

Everlong wrote:Since when do we actually listen to any kind of threat coming from North Korea? They've issued threats against the U.S. almost daily for the last decade, many of them way more plausible than this (yet equally ridiculous). I just don't understand.

THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON.

Who is this WE. These are companies making decisions that probably make sense for a company.

The cinema companies might be American. Sony isn't.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Dec 19, '14, 10:25 am

Everlong wrote:Since when do we actually listen to any kind of threat coming from North Korea? They've issued threats against the U.S. almost daily for the last decade, many of them way more plausible than this (yet equally ridiculous). I just don't understand.

THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON.

I'm actually OK with the decision. First of all, making a stupid slapstick comedy about killing a real world leader is a stupid concept to begin with. That's why most movies make up the name of a country and a leader when they make this kind of a concept.

Also, you have to realize the kind of threats that would really exist from these situations. I mean the types of attacks we would have been subject to are the same type of thing we've already seen and not the typical attacks. We've already seen that our movie theatres aren't exactly top security and I've got to imagine that every theatre holding the movie would be a target for a shooting.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Dec 19, '14, 11:09 am

It's a really weird situation. I think it's kinda bad for Sony to cancel the film, after they committed to making it. It lets people down and it sets a dangerously bad precedent. Yet on the other hand, I totally disagree with the making of this film to begin with. They didn't think making a slapstick comedy about killing an existing head of state might ruffle a few feathers? It was just an immature, attention-grabbing move that was bound to have consequences.

I understand where the movie theatres are coming from here. They don't want to show the film anymore because the threats have made them vulnerable from a legal point of view. They're more likely to be held liable if anything happens during the screenings of this particular film, because they knew of the existence of a threat. It might have an impact on their insurance. It's an understandable call for them to make.

Sony's decision is a little less understandable. Maybe they just wanted to be seen to be doing something, and maybe they figured it was better to withdraw the film if they couldn't make money on it in the box office. I've heard people talk about making it available for online download: how that could neutralise the threat of terrorist action, while still allowing the film to make money, and allowing fans to see it. That does seem to be a feasible and interesting solution. But perhaps they'd rather wait until the controversy has died down and give it that box office release after all.

Incidentally, I've seen the word 'censorship' thrown around and that really doesn't apply here. The theatre companies and then Sony have made a decision based on their own interest to not show/release this film and that decision is their right. Unless the United States government or another governing body were the ones to make the bomb threats, then this isn't censorship.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Dec 19, '14, 11:45 am

^^^ Hey Steve, I'm curious exactly what the dangerous precedent is that you see being set? To me this is a pretty confined special set of circumstances that isn't highly likely to pop up again any time soon.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Dec 19, '14, 11:56 am

The Legend wrote:^^^ Hey Steve, I'm curious exactly what the dangerous precedent is that you see being set? To me this is a pretty confined special set of circumstances that isn't highly likely to pop up again any time soon.

I just worry that it will encourage other groups to make threats in protest of future movies to get them cancelled. This is a pretty extreme example here, given the film is about killing the head of North Korea, but now that people have seen that it's effective, what's to stop other hackers or groups of protesters from making similar threats to get future films cancelled?

If that ball starts rolling, it's hard to know what could get crushed in its wake. I hope that doesn't happen and there's no guarantee that it will. But if it works once on this, maybe the next film that gets targeted won't be quite so controversial. It could be a film with a certain religious/anti-religious message, or a film with a certain perspective on abortion or LGBT relationships.

I do think they were setting themselves up for trouble by making this film, but I worry now that they cancelled it that they've increased the likelihood of more of these threats occurring in the future. In which case, thanks a bunch Sony. You just had to fuck around with the North Koreans.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SortaCreative » Dec 19, '14, 1:27 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ Hey Steve, I'm curious exactly what the dangerous precedent is that you see being set? To me this is a pretty confined special set of circumstances that isn't highly likely to pop up again any time soon.

Lets just pretend that Fox and Regency Media didn't just cancel development on a film involving North Korea then (starring Steve Carrell)

The precedent has been set. It's a dangerous one. But to say AMG THE US ARE LISTENING TO THE TERRORISTS is silly.

Now any group loud enough could conceivably just scream and threaten until the offensive content in question is quashed.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 19, '14, 4:12 pm

Hanley! wrote:

I just worry that it will encourage other groups to make threats in protest of future movies to get them cancelled. This is a pretty extreme example here, given the film is about killing the head of North Korea, but now that people have seen that it's effective, what's to stop other hackers or groups of protesters from making similar threats to get future films cancelled?

If that ball starts rolling, it's hard to know what could get crushed in its wake. I hope that doesn't happen and there's no guarantee that it will. But if it works once on this, maybe the next film that gets targeted won't be quite so controversial. It could be a film with a certain religious/anti-religious message, or a film with a certain perspective on abortion or LGBT relationships.

I do think they were setting themselves up for trouble by making this film, but I worry now that they cancelled it that they've increased the likelihood of more of these threats occurring in the future. In which case, thanks a bunch Sony. You just had to fuck around with the North Koreans.

It would not be limited to just the film industry either

so this worked for North Korea, they also don't approve of Coca Cola and have banned the sale of it in their country. whats to stop them from hacking and/or issuing direct threats to coca cola executives, employees and the employees families if coca cola tries to promote or sell in the nearby area?

I know this was a extreme case but it has been reported worldwide that a group was able to bully and threaten the US into doing something. before long more groups are gonna try to do the same thing and eventually these threats will no longer become threats but they will become reality.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 19, '14, 4:38 pm

I'm probably being cynical but part of me thinks, Sony might have done this - partially - to prevent further attacks on their system and their private information being compromised that might bring more embarrassing revelations. The stuff being released doesn't seem that nasty besides some comments on Angelina Jolie but who knows what more things have been said that might include other, possibly illegal/criminal, things.

But again, might just be thinking too cynically! Like Hanley said, sounds like a shit movie to begin with.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby prophet » Dec 20, '14, 6:12 am

Don't you see Sony's master-plan? Take it away from you to trick you into thinking you want it...tease you...torment you...

...release it on the 4th July weekend as a big 'murican fuck you to terrorists #wethepeople

AMERICA. FUCK YEAH. HERE THEY COME TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY, YEAH!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby Viazon » Dec 20, '14, 8:35 am

Ok. First of all, the movie looks awesome. Come on. Seth Rogen and James Franco. That's comedy gold every time. Anyone who disagrees can suck a dick. Haters gon' hate.

Now, this isn't the first time a real life person has been the subject of a movie. Why is it such a big deal now? What about Team America? What about Hot Shots? I mean, Jesus, South Park has depicted Saddam Hussein as a homosexual who started a relationship with Satan once he died and went to hell. This movie isn't made by American and it shouldn't been seen as a threat to North Korea. It was made by a couple of film makers who came up with this particular idea for a movie. The two directors aren't even American, they are Canadian. This movie is a satire and is obviously not to be taken seriously.

However, I am trying to see it from North Korea's point of view. If a couple of North Korean film makers made a movie about trying to assassinate Barack Obama, how well would it go down with America? There would be outcry. People would call it disgusting.

In any case, I was interested in seeing this movie and I hope I get to at some point.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Hanley! » Dec 20, '14, 9:00 am

Seth Rogan and James Franco aren't exactly standard bearers for quality. Some of their films are good, but plenty are just the opposite. Honestly, I hadn't even heard of this film until the controversy started so I'm not sure how much people cared about it until now. Which is funny because if and when it is released now, it'll probably do a lot better than it otherwise would have.

It doesn't really matter that the makers were Canadian rather than American either. It's the film itself that has really been threatened, not the US as a whole.

There have been other films that have done similar things making fun of foreign dictators, but this one takes it a little further. In South Park or Team America, making fun of the foreign dictator didn't seem like the entire focus of the film based on trailers, etc. And the dictators weren't quite as crazy as Kim Jong Un. In Team America, Kim Jong Il didn't actually die and they even portrayed him a little sympathetically (while still making fun of him). So you're right in that this has been done before, but to me it seems to be taking it a step further.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Dec 20, '14, 1:27 pm

I find it funny that Obama is saying that Sony have made a mistake by pulling The Interview. If the shoe were on the other foot, I don't think he'd be best pleased.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Kyle » Dec 20, '14, 1:51 pm

Everyone has already said what I feel, but it's such a sad situation.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Matteo » Dec 21, '14, 4:46 am

Viazon wrote: a couple of North Korean film makers made a movie about trying to assassinate Barack Obama, how well would it go down with America? There would be outcry. People would call it disgusting.

It's likely already been done since North Korea have a notoriously hermitic, secluded film industry. Interestingly, however, the 2006 British film, Death of a President, depicts the assassination of George W. Bush, and little, if any, controversy or dissension eventuated from it. And this wasn't North Korea. This was an American ally, and a close one at that.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Next

Return to Movies and TV