It is currently: May 19, '24, 2:17 am

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby prophet » Oct 21, '13, 7:18 am

The Iceman - 7/10. Michael Shannon was a perfect casting decision. Really good performance from Chris Evans too when you compare this role with his rom-com dominated CV. Winona Ryder resurfaces as does David Schwimmer.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Oct 21, '13, 8:13 am

Taxi Driver - 8/10

I'd never seen it before, even though I've wanted to for years. Can't believe I was missing out on an awesome film.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Matteo » Oct 21, '13, 6:50 pm

PorkChop wrote:Taxi Driver - 8/10

I'd never seen it before, even though I've wanted to for years. Can't believe I was missing out on an awesome film.

Oh yeah, awesome film. Check out The King of Comedy if you haven't already - directed by Scorsese and also starring De Niro, it's often seen as a companion piece to this film. Very similar, thematically, and even better IMO.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Settee » Oct 21, '13, 9:20 pm

Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
This movie was all around fun, but the stuff they did with Khan's blood was too silly, but definitely worth a watch.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby Everlong » Oct 22, '13, 6:43 pm

The Road, 2009 (Viggo Mortensen/Charlize Theron)

A really great novel, and I'd been meaning to check out the movie for a while now. Pretty decent, but I think it's one of those that just comes across better in novel form. While the movie looked great and did the postapocalyptic atmosphere very nicely, I don't think they were able to pull off the intensity and desperation that the narrative of the book gives. Still though, really solid acting performance by Viggo Mortensen and the flashback scenes are heartbreaking. 7/10.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby xgamr » Oct 22, '13, 7:52 pm

Rise of The Guardians. I enjoyed it. good choice of cast. 8/10

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Everlong » Oct 25, '13, 2:52 pm

Cabin in the Woods

Girlfriend wanted to watch a scary movie, so we watched this one. It was pretty unique in that it was sort of a horror movie within a horror movie, and offered some pretty great satire/commentary on the genre in general. It's not a great piece of art or anything by any means, but it was at least an enjoyable enough movie that has a lot of horror movie tropes but for a very specific purpose, which you come to realize by the end of the movie. 6.5/10

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Matteo » Oct 25, '13, 6:34 pm

I managed to watch half of Ted yesterday before I had to turn it off. Surprisingly fun film, from what I saw.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Ali » Oct 26, '13, 11:51 am

I'm gonna use the Spill.com rating system, because I find it hard to rate movies on a ten-point scale. The Spill System is, from worst to best:
- F*CK YOU!
- Some Ol' Bulls*it!
- Rental
- Matinee
- Full Price
- Better Than Sex!

With that out of the way, here we go.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 - I loved the first one. It was one of the most fun comedies of the year, right alongside The Hangover, and the visuals were incredible. It had some excellent animation and a stellar voice cast. So how's the sequel hold up? Pretty well. The animation and visuals are still fantastic, and you'll never be bored looking at it. It's still wildly creative in what it does with the food, and the sentient food creatures or "foodimals" it creates. I enjoy all the puns and gags in this one, though not quite as much as the first one, which was just so silly and wonderful. Still, the movie has a more compelling villain, some decent morals without hitting you over the head with them, and a still great cast. In fact, the only voice who doesn't return is Mr. T, which is weird, but Terry Crews does a good job replacing him.
Overall - Matinee

Captain Phillips - It is so nice to see Tom Hanks lead and carry a movie again. Based on the true story of Captain Richard Phillips, who had his ship hijacked and was kidnapped by Somali pirates a few years ago, this is a very tense and edge-of-your-seat thriller. Director Paul Greengrass, known for doing the last two Matt Damon "Bourne" movies, does a really good job of making you feel scared for this ship and for Hanks. This is a true story, ten seconds on Google will tell you everything, but you're watching this movie and you don't know if it's gonna be okay! That is great for a thriller, and it's the same kind of thing Ben Affleck did with Argo, I love it. And as much as this is Tom Hanks' movie, they do a great job of giving the Somali pirates a lot of character. You can actually understand and even sympathize with some of them, which is something you don't get a lot of today in film. It even has some good Action Sequences. It's a little long, and not quite as tight as something like Argo, but it's still incredibly enjoyable.
Overall - Full Price!

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 30, '13, 10:57 pm

Pacific Rim - 7.5/10. Pretty bad-ass movie. Idris Elba was good in it.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 31, '13, 10:32 am

Bay of Blood - 9.5/10 rewatch

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Oct 31, '13, 2:40 pm

I watched Ondine last night. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

It stars Colin Farrell as an Irish fisherman who ends up pulling up a woman in his nets one day. The identity of the woman is a mystery and the fisherman's sick daughter begins to think she is a selkie (mystical creature, kind of like a mermaid). The film deals with the blossoming relationship between the fisherman and this mystery woman, alongside him trying to be a fitting father to his daughter in spite of his separation from her mother and his problems with alcoholism.

It was really nicely shot and the scenery in the movie is beautiful. Almost made me proud of my country. :P The score was great too, as were the lead performances. It was maybe the best performance I've seen from Farrell and the daughter was really entertaining. Good dialogue, interesting premise and a pleasant tone. It wasn't perfect, but at the same time very little about it displeased me.

I'd give it an 8/10.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Oct 31, '13, 5:04 pm

Gravity - 7.5/10

Good film, but not great, and definitely overrated. The visuals are stunning though. Should definitely pull in some Oscars in that category.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Matteo » Nov 01, '13, 11:06 pm

Saw a film called The Visitor. Quick-witted and rather poignant.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Settee » Nov 17, '13, 10:17 pm

The World's End - 9/10, a brilliant comedy. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost did it again.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby PorkChop » Nov 18, '13, 9:25 am

Everlong wrote:Cabin in the Woods

Girlfriend wanted to watch a scary movie, so we watched this one. It was pretty unique in that it was sort of a horror movie within a horror movie, and offered some pretty great satire/commentary on the genre in general. It's not a great piece of art or anything by any means, but it was at least an enjoyable enough movie that has a lot of horror movie tropes but for a very specific purpose, which you come to realize by the end of the movie. 6.5/10

I watched this recently and hated it. I genuinely think it would have been a better film if they ditched the whole comedy stuff and just went down the horror route, instead of a collaboration of both.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Camstud » Nov 18, '13, 4:17 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:Cabin in the Woods

I watched this recently and hated it. I genuinely think it would have been a better film if they ditched the whole comedy stuff and just went down the horror route, instead of a collaboration of both.

My thoughts exactly.

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby The Legend » Nov 18, '13, 4:32 pm

The Hangover 3, 4/10 it was truly awful and a disgrace to the Hangover movie franchise.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Nov 19, '13, 10:34 pm

Reservoir Dogs

To me, this movie is far superior to Tarantino's second and most renowned movie, Pulp Fiction. Every bit of dialogue has a purpose (which is more than you can say for most of his movies), and you never feel like you're wasting your time watching it (which is more than you can say for almost half of his movies). It's clever and riveting, yet also extraordinarily simple. To me, this is his best movie. 8.5./10

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby PorkChop » Nov 20, '13, 2:51 pm

Red Road - 5.5/10

This was... strange. It had a great mystery plot, which was almost scary, then the ending was a bit strange. It worked, but it was strange. I'd be interested to know if anyone else here had seen this.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV