It is currently: May 16, '24, 6:16 am

When you watch TV/movies, what are you most critical of?

Talk about movies and television in here!

Acting
29%
Writing
43%
Directing
No votes
Effects
No votes
Other (specify)
29%

Total votes : 14

Postby Everlong » Feb 15, '14, 5:07 pm

I'm a fairly critical person when it comes to books, movies and television. This probably has a lot of roots in my schooling -- as an English student in college it became ingrained in me to be very critical of everything that I read, and I've carried that on to this day. Of course, I can let go of that for certain types of movies, but let's say I'm watching a show or movie that was supposed to be critically acclaimed or that is taking itself seriously as a piece of art, I'm going to be much more critical of it.

Of the options listed, I'm probably most critical about writing, probably for the reasons I've already mentioned. I feel like you can have the best actors in the world, but a bad script or premise is going to doom the whole production. Take a look at the Star Wars prequels; there were some really talented actors in those movies, but there's no way they could have done anything with the crap they were handed.

What about you?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: When you watch TV/movies, what are you most critical of?

Postby Buck » Feb 15, '14, 5:14 pm

Writing. It can derail all the other shit even if everything else is rock solid.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 26

Postby prophet » Feb 15, '14, 5:24 pm

I'd probably say acting although if truth be told I've never given it much thought and, particularly on this site, I've never given a film a bad score :lol

I think bad acting is more off-putting to me than anything else. I'd like to think that a bad actor can make even the best dialogue seem unimpressive whereas a good actor can make bad dialogue seem better than it is, if that makes sense...

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ali » Feb 15, '14, 5:33 pm

Honestly, it's kind of an "All of the Above". Really, I'm fine with a movie as long as it doesn't bore or anger me. Keep me invested for SOME reason. Even if it's done incompetently, I can still maybe have fun laughing at bad writing or acting or whatever. But if you are just BAD, if there is no soul or life or effort into a movie, that's where you lose me.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 15, '14, 7:18 pm

Effects have there place but not as much as writing and acting. I've seen enough movies where I have thought the writing was good and the acting sucked. Sometimes I've seen movies where I have thought the acting was good but the writing was bad.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby PorkChop » Feb 15, '14, 7:28 pm

Writing / Acting. I'd say it was about 70/30 split.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Kyle » Feb 16, '14, 7:50 pm

Writing is most important to me. Acting is definitely crucial to pull off the script in a believable way, but without the writing there in the first place, the actors have nothing. For instance, Heath Ledger was amazing as The Joker and he made many of his lines very memorable, but without the writers writing it in the first place it's nothing.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Racing Guy » Feb 16, '14, 9:25 pm

I would have to say acting. I can look over plot holes, or cheesy dialogue but those actors who sound like they're reading off a card in front of them is terrible.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby Locke » Feb 19, '14, 2:08 pm

I'm not really sure. I try not to break apart movies by this sort of "step by step" construction and just enjoy the movie (if I can) for what it's worth. I can't tell you how many movies that are so low budget, absolute shit looking movies, with terrible acting, that I still really enjoy. Pretty much any B (or worse than B) flick on Netflix about dragons, for example, I can sit down with a few beers and just love the shit out of it.

One of my favorite examples of a shit movie that I enjoy is Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God. It has pretty corny actors, pretty piss poor effects, and a cliche DnD story. For some reason, however, it sucks me in, and for the duration of the movie I'm immersed. I'm gone for 2 hours. Love it.

So I guess wherever "it immerses me" falls into is what does it for me.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 9:44 am

I said acting. You might have the greatest story to be told but if the acting sucks in it then it falls flat on its face.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Movies and TV