It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:05 pm

Who's going to Star Wars this week?

Talk about movies and television in here!

Who's going to Star Wars this week?

Postby Everlong » Dec 12, '17, 2:00 pm

I'm going Thursday night... can't wait!!! The few reviews that have leaked out so far have been extremely positive, but I've tried not to read them too closely.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Who's going to Star Wars this week?

Postby Daz » Dec 15, '17, 10:04 am

Saw it yesterday. Honestly didn't enjoy. Feel like I'm the only one.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 15, '17, 10:27 am

Daz wrote:Saw it yesterday. Honestly didn't enjoy. Feel like I'm the only one.

You're not, only one of my friends who has seen it said the same. I've not seen it but heard other people say there's too many jokes.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Daz » Dec 15, '17, 10:55 am

SlightlyJames wrote:

You're not, only one of my friends who has seen it said the same. I've not seen it but heard other people say there's too many jokes.

So many jokes. Awful jokes at that.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Dec 16, '17, 8:15 am

SlightlyJames wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty majorly let down. Thought it was pretty bad, to be honest.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Dec 16, '17, 7:19 pm

I was starting to look forward to this, and was comforted to hear that the critics scores were high and that the movie had some new ideas rather than being a direct copy of the plot of Empire. But some of the talk I've heard over the last few days has me worried now.

When it comes to blockbusters, I tend to distrust audience opinion online. A lot of fans have lower standards than I do, and there are always fanboys eager to artificially boost a film's score regardless. I put a lot more trust in the critics. But the fan score on Rotten Tomatoes right now is almost 40% lower than the critics score. That strikes me as a bad sign too.

You do see that kind of discrepancy sometimes, but it's usually a 3-hour art film with some great film-making techniques that put the audience to sleep with poor pacing and a dull story. Or a film with trailers that misled the audience about its genre. To see fans scoring Star Wars substantially lower than critics is weird as fuck. This is a franchise with more fanboys than almost any other.

Do I still go to see this film? I'm so confused.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to Movies and TV