It is currently: Apr 29, '24, 4:28 am

Justice League

Talk about movies and television in here!

Justice League

Postby Everlong » Mar 27, '17, 7:37 pm

If this movie earns more than 50% on rotten tomatoes I will buy a pizza for the first three people who take me up on this offer.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Justice League

Postby Ali » Mar 27, '17, 8:09 pm

I'll take the offer.

This doesn't look good. Why is Aquaman a water-redneck?

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 43

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 27, '17, 9:08 pm

This looks fun and Aquaman is a badass. You can tell the tone of this promotion is totally different than the one for Batman v Superman, which will be the most disappointing thing to me if it means DC is moving away from the darker, character-focused tone that they had for Man of Steel/BvS as a response to the criticism. You could argue they fucked that up, but at least it felt different than Marvel; this trailer feels like a trailer for a Marvel movie.

This probably won't be a "good" movie, and there seems to be a concerning amount of new characters and backstories to get through (Suicide Squad all over again?). But I also reckon it could really deliver as a simple badass action flick, if that's all they are shooting for this time. Seems a lot harder to fuck up than the Batman v Superman plot.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby DBSoT » Mar 27, '17, 10:32 pm

It won't matter if this is a "good movie." There will be people that are going to shit on it out of habit. Including a good portion of critics. Part of it is that the Cinematic Universe has struggled to be built properly. The other part is that people have a very jaded opinion of DC that will be tough to break regardless of what movie is made.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Ali » Mar 27, '17, 10:57 pm

DBSoT wrote:The other part is that people have a very jaded opinion of DC that will be tough to break regardless of what movie is made.

Guilty.

I just don't see much to be excited about here. I kind of like how they're doing The Flash, not going with the cliche, "the world slows down around him" stuff like the X-Men movies. But the CGI on Cyborg looks terrible, and jarring. And it feels like they're trying to make Aquaman like Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy, a big scary-looking dude who turns out to be really funny and kind of crazy. Jason Momoa was up for Drax before Batista got it, so it kind of makes sense to go that route, but if you go back and watch those original trailers for GotG, there was no hint of Drax being funny, it was a surprise. But in this, we know Aquaman's gonna start off stoic and end up being a wild card, so that moment is ruined before we even get in the theater.

The thing is, DC has crapped the bed and is still trying to get people into it. Their "dark and edgy" tone didn't work, and Suicide Squad tried DESPERATELY to be more "fun", and we got a convoluted mess out of that, too! But if they try to make it more like Marvel, they're just copycats. DC has lost trust with a lot of people. They have developed a reputation of showing really promising trailers, but not delivering on the actual film. And with Zack Snyder still at the helm, I see no reason to get my hopes up for this to be a good movie.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 27, '17, 11:54 pm

I was less interested in Aquaman before this, but I think he was he best part of that trailer and could likely steal the show in the movie, so I'm glad he's not always gonna be the stoic guy. I doubt that having his jokes be a surprise reveal would have the effect it did for Drax, because it's already been done, and DC did need to lighten things up a bit after Batman v Superman. And Drax was just more goofy anyway. Aquaman seems like a Pacific Islander guy who can kick major ass but knows not to take himself too seriously. He's like Roman Reigns.

Agree on Cyborg - too similar to Ironman and let's face it, he's there to be the token black guy. The Flash is the one I'm least interested in. The relationship with him and Bruce is fun, but we've already seen that with Peter Parker and Ton Stark. Though I like how they've managed to make Flash's action scenes be different that the other speedsters we've seen in superhero movies lately.

As for Wonder Woman, not sure what to think about her yet. I'm not interested in seeing her movie, but I am interested in seeing if it continues the trend of badly-reviewed DC movies or if it ends up surpassing expectations and bringing some optimism back.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » Mar 28, '17, 12:12 pm

DBSoT wrote:It won't matter if this is a "good movie." There will be people that are going to shit on it out of habit. Including a good portion of critics. Part of it is that the Cinematic Universe has struggled to be built properly. The other part is that people have a very jaded opinion of DC that will be tough to break regardless of what movie is made.

As someone without any preconceived notions of DC before their cinematic universe kicked off, I'd be more than willing to give them a shot if they made anything good. But without fail every one of their movies has been dogshit so far, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more of the same.

I think they have all of the ingredients they need in terms of characters, lore, villains etc. to actually do something cool. But the difference is that Marvel's stuff is being handled expertly (even if I have plenty of criticisms about the MCU too), whereas there doesn't seem to be a consistent vision (or at least a good one) for DC.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby prophet » Mar 28, '17, 3:55 pm

Jason Momoa deserves endless praise for already making Aquaman badass.

Don't care for the film though.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Mar 28, '17, 3:58 pm

DBSoT wrote:It won't matter if this is a "good movie." There will be people that are going to shit on it out of habit. Including a good portion of critics.

What are you basing this on though? There have only been three films in this new DC franchise (let me know if I'm forgetting one): Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad. If they only release bad films, then they're only going to get bad reviews. If Wonder Woman or Justice League wind up being better, we might see if there's anything to people's theories about anti-DC bias.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to Movies and TV