It is currently: May 10, '24, 9:10 am

Olympics

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Olympics

Postby PorkChop » Aug 07, '16, 7:04 am

Who's watching?

I love the Olympics purely for the martial arts. Although I'm a huge fan of MMA, it's great to watch martial arts in their individual form. I'm particularly looking forward to the wrestling and judo.

I usually pay attention to the athletics as well, though not much else. There's some really strange / shitty things scheduled (dressage, sailing, tons of others) which shouldn't really be considered Olympic sports to be honest.

Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Olympics

Postby Hanley! » Aug 07, '16, 10:52 am

I'll be checking out some of the gymnastics contests, because those are always really fun to watch. Couldn't be arsed about anything else really.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Aug 07, '16, 1:08 pm

I haven't really had a chance to actually sit down and pay attention to much of it yet, though I did catch a little of the swimming yesterday and the volleyball today. Swimming and gymnastics are usually my favorites of the summer olympics, as well as the track and field events. Should be able to see a bunch more while I'm working this week.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Aug 07, '16, 2:21 pm

I'm looking forward to watching them as they continue. I think I mentioned on here I've got a former neighbor who is actually competing in rugby for the US so I'll watch way more rugby than I usually do. Always enjoy the swimming, equestrian, beach volleyball, gymnastics and water polo.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Ali » Aug 07, '16, 2:28 pm

I've watched some fencing, judo, and shooting just for kicks because I can livestream all of it now. Gonna try to watch all of Team USA Basketball. Fan of the swimming, also.

Did anyone else see that French gymnast who's leg just about liquified? I feel so bad for him, that was just nasty.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Everlong » Aug 07, '16, 3:46 pm

Ali wrote:Did anyone else see that French gymnast who's leg just about liquified? I feel so bad for him, that was just nasty.

No :O vid/gif?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Ali » Aug 07, '16, 3:58 pm

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Spoiler:
File format: mp4

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby DBSoT » Aug 07, '16, 5:13 pm

Handball, water polo and Swimming for me. I will check out some of the track and field stuff as well. I couldn't care less about the rest. Watching USA basketball feels like a waste considering the games are so uncompetitive.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Aug 07, '16, 6:00 pm

Ali wrote:Don't say I didn't warn you...

Spoiler:
File format: mp4

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Aug 07, '16, 6:37 pm

@Ali

You didn't warn me enough.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 07, '16, 7:24 pm

Oh fuck no, I ain't watching that.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Aug 07, '16, 7:48 pm

The Legend wrote:I think I mentioned on here I've got a former neighbor who is actually competing in rugby for the US so I'll watch way more rugby than I usually do.

Wait, there's rugby? I might have to watch that then.

Why are so many people interested in the swimming? I'm literally having trouble imagining a duller sport. Looking at a bunch of people moving back and forth in a line ... what's to like? The diving is another matter entirely, but the competitive swimming itself, I have to admit that I don't get it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Aug 07, '16, 9:20 pm

Hanley! wrote:Why are so many people interested in the swimming? I'm literally having trouble imagining a duller sport. Looking at a bunch of people moving back and forth in a line ... what's to like? The diving is another matter entirely, but the competitive swimming itself, I have to admit that I don't get it.

Really? You migyht be the only person I've ever talked to who finds swimming at the Olympics to be boring. It's produced some of the most intense, memorable Olympic moments for me that I can remember, especially the relays. Tonight's 4x100 freestyle relay was just the latest example, but other swimming events, especially in the 2008 Olympics with Phelps's domination, are always a ton of fun and it's like I have to hold my breath throughout the whole thing.

It's actually kind of funny to me that you bring up diving, which IMO is far less exciting and interesting.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Aug 08, '16, 5:44 am

Hanley! wrote:Why are so many people interested in the swimming? I'm literally having trouble imagining a duller sport. Looking at a bunch of people moving back and forth in a line ... what's to like? The diving is another matter entirely, but the competitive swimming itself, I have to admit that I don't get it.

Swimming is awesome and perfect for modern day TV. They show the world record line in each race so you can see if the winner is going to set the record and be faster than anybody ever has been, that kind of accomplishment is cool to cheer for. Also, I love the nature of the fact that most of the events are over in about two minutes, it's always somebody new in a different event and distance and a new race every couple of minutes.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 08, '16, 5:59 am

I think there's a real under-excitement for the Olympics over here - I know the BBC have got full coverage rights but I find it hard to be invested in it. All the controversy with Russia's involvement plus Lizzie Armitstead's three missed drugs tests issues, citizens of Rio hardly watching plus the football/cricket seasons underway it's behind in the interest levels 'list' for me. Might watch some of the football and golf (shouldn't be there tbh) if I get a chance.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '16, 10:25 am

I have the same problem with basically all the racing events. These people are all really talented, but it's not talent that is very visually impressive to watch on screen. Part of that might be that Ireland only tends to be at all competitive in a handful of sports, so without someone specific to root for, it takes all the tension out of these things. Watching your representative overtake their competitors might make things exciting, but without that, it's all very dull.

I don't need someone specific to cheer for to enjoy the gymnastics. I like watching gymnastics for some of the same reasons I like watching wrestling. Seeing the grace and the style with which these people move - looking at all the flips and twists and stuff that few humans can do. Most humans can swim or run, just not nearly as fast as these people. It doesn't hit me on that same level.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Aug 09, '16, 7:49 am

I am always baffled that Beach Volleyball is an Olympic sport.

And I think I'm the only one who likes watching table tennis.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » Aug 09, '16, 8:06 am

Nah man, table tennis is my jam.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby HFX » Aug 09, '16, 1:12 pm

This year the Rugby 7s are my top event though I also like to watch wrestling, swimming, rowing, kayak and women's soccer but only when Canada is playing. Don't really give a shit about the rest though who can say no to watching women's (beach)volleyball.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Aug 12, '16, 12:47 pm

Sweden just took down the US women in penalties :O

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Next

Return to General Sports Discussion