It is currently: May 13, '24, 11:17 pm

UFC 200 is this weekend

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: UFC 200 is this weekend

Postby Kein » Jul 09, '16, 11:07 pm

Didn't like the Aldo vs Edgar fight. Franky Edgar went out there ready to duke it out, he was in the center of the ring chasing Aldo the whole time and Aldo ran and countered everything. It was a good play by him and I can see Aldo won the fight by hits alone, but I just didn't like the style of his approach. It's almost like if Edgar wasn't so guns blazing there wouldn't have been a fight at all.

Comrier looked like crap. He played smart and brought the fight to the ground vs Silva, he gassed him and was dominant wrestling, but he really didn't dish out a lot of damage. Silva's stand up game was monstrous to Cormier, it was really sad. On a 48 hour notice and no fighting since his surgery removing his gall bladder Silva did very well. I can see why people boo'd Cormier here.

Lesnar did well, used his strengths over Hunt and Hunt had no answer. Gotta work on that endurance though. While it looked good the last rounds punches seemed mostly for show and points than any kind of damage.

Amanda put up a good round, showed to be real solid. I hope she can hold on to the belt unlike any of the other champs so far. We'll see how it pans out.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 15

Postby PorkChop » Jul 10, '16, 4:19 am

Jose Aldo looked fantastic and outclassed Edgar on the feet. Perfect timing and anticipation, and stellar takedown defence. That was the best I've seen Aldo in a long time, probably since his WEC days. I can't wait for a rematch with McGregor now. Fantastic performance.

Solid performance from Cormier, he did what he had to do. Silva is the better and more dynamic striker with a huge reach advantage, so it made no sense for Cormier to stand and trade with him. It pissed me off that people booed Cormier for taking him down. I'm not a huge Cormier fan by any means but he didn't deserve that. Cormier is an Olympic wrestler who was facing an opponent with very poor defensive wrestling, so if you were expecting him to not use that to his advantage, I don't know what to say. It was a dominant performance from Cormier and Anderson had little for him except that flurry at the end.

Not really much to say about Velasquez vs Browne. Expected Velasquez to win and he did. Travis Browne has the best spaghetti legs in MMA.

I'm impressed that Lesnar can still hang with top 10 heavyweights after 5 years out. Given another two rounds I'd have bet on him to get a TKO victory. I was expecting a Hunt KO but I can't say I'm surprised by the outcome. Lesnar did look very timid on the feet though, especially in the second round which was pretty dull. I used to be a big fan of Hunt, but after the fence grabs and also what seemed to be a few eye rakes, I'm a bit mad. Glad for Lesnar though.

Miesha Tate probably has the lowest fight IQ of anyone in the UFC. Every opponent, same tactic - hover around just out of range, then charge with arms flailing and eat a few strikes in the hope of getting a takedown. Should this fail, back off and try again. It's so frustrating to watch. The best she's ever looked was probably the second Rousey fight or some of her rounds against Holm where she actually had a decent game plan and stuck to it, but she was predictable as ever here and Nunes disposed of her easily.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby PorkChop » Jul 12, '16, 11:06 am

https://streamable.com/touh

Jose Aldo looked so good, best I've seen in him years. Edgar just couldn't hit him and he stuffed all his takedown attempts too. Aldo was ragdolling him whenever he went for a takedown, it was like watching the Aldo of old.

The eventual Aldo vs McGregor rematch will be huge. With a couple of other great fights added to the card, I'd fancy the buyrate to surpass UFC 200.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Jul 12, '16, 11:43 am

After being ill all weekend, finally had a chance to watch this. Lasting thoughts...

Miesha Tate got fucked up.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Previous

Return to General Sports Discussion