It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 11:42 pm

Best rivalries in sports

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Best rivalries in sports

Postby UTK » Oct 20, '13, 1:19 pm

I think this was a topic on the old club, I'll bring it here as well. What are some of the best sports rivalries?

The most obvious is Yankees/Red Sox.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Best rivalries in sports

Postby HFX » Oct 20, '13, 1:27 pm

For hockey the biggest rivalry is Les Canadiens de Montreal vs the Boston Bruins. Both teams and fans hate each other and the games are always awesome. Other big ones are the Atlantic 5(Devils, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Islanders) with the Flyers and Penguins being especially volatile. There's the classic Toronto vs Montreal rivalry as well as Detroit vs Chicago. Edmonton vs Calgary has died down in terms of play and prominence the last decade but the rivalry between the two cities is alive and well. Here's hoping both teams current struggles leads to a resurgence of the 80's heydays.

The Dodgers and the Giants fan bases have A LOT of animosity towards one another.

When I think NFL rivalries I immediately think Chicago vs Green Bay. Then there's college rivalries like Alabama vs Tennessee, Michigan vs OSU, Texas vs Oklahoma and USC vs Notre Dame which are classics.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 43

Postby PorkChop » Oct 20, '13, 1:31 pm

Man United vs Liverpool
Real Madrid vs Barcelona (a player who moved from Barcelona to Real Madrid had a pig's head thrown at him by fans)

Few rivalries in the whole of sports can match Fenerbahce vs Galatasaray, though. That's more than just a rivalry.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Camstud » Oct 20, '13, 1:41 pm

Celtic/Rangers is a big one.

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby JDD » Oct 20, '13, 2:02 pm

Michigan/OSU is a great rivalry. Of course Yanks/Sox too. Also Giants/Eagles and Giants/Cowboys.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby HFX » Oct 20, '13, 2:09 pm

PorkChop wrote:Man United vs Liverpool
Real Madrid vs Barcelona (a player who moved from Barcelona to Real Madrid had a pig's head thrown at him by fans)

Few rivalries in the whole of sports can match Fenerbahce vs Galatasaray, though. That's more than just a rivalry.

What about Lazio vs Roma?

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby PorkChop » Oct 20, '13, 2:16 pm

HFX wrote:

What about Lazio vs Roma?

Yeah, that's another good shout. People often die at those games, that's how intense the rivalry is.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 20, '13, 2:21 pm

Agreed with the above soccer ones mentioned.

Boca Juniors vs. River Plate another one I could think of.

The Fenerbahce/Galatasaray one, I only found out recently, is due to the positioning of both teams in Turkey. Gala is in Istanbul which is more closer to Europe, probably more better living conditions and Fenerbahce is more closer to Asia and not the best conditions.

In cricket, I'd say India vs. Pakistan (players have had to be extremely careful after losing a match and it's watched world-wide when they play, in an ODI match). England vs. Australia.

Boxing - Ali/Frazier, Barrera/Morales, Gatti/Ward.

Tennis - Federer/Nadal - Still remember watching that epic 2008 Wimbledon final.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to General Sports Discussion