It is currently: May 09, '24, 3:32 pm

Your biggest fears in you favorite sport(s)?

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Your biggest fears in you favorite sport(s)?

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 22, '14, 6:14 pm

What are you afraid to see happen in your favorite sport(s)?

MLB: Steroids blow up even more then they already have.
NFL: One of these days someone is going to die on the field.
WWE: We are bound to have another death during a live show at some point.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 260

Re: Your biggest fears in you favorite sport(s)?

Postby The Legend » Apr 22, '14, 6:40 pm

Well, I'm taking this in a completely different direction, but my biggest fear in sports is that I go my entire life without knowing what it's like to see Cleveland win a world championship.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 22, '14, 6:44 pm

The Legend wrote:Well, I'm taking this in a completely different direction, but my biggest fear in sports is that I go my entire life without knowing what it's like to see Cleveland win a world championship.

I'm afraid I've got some...

:barrett

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Apr 22, '14, 6:52 pm

MMA - Steroids, Dana White continuing to ruin the sport

Boxing - The sport continues to die and shows no sign of improving

Football - Diving continuing to make a mockery of the sport, as well as the rising price of everything

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SKS » Apr 22, '14, 6:59 pm

Probably just the entire sport becoming obsolete or witnessing someone die on the field/ice/court.

I don't fear my teams losing or anything like that, it's just part of the game.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 22, '14, 7:00 pm

PorkChop wrote:MMA - Steroids, Dana White continuing to ruin the sport

Football - Diving continuing to make a mockery of the sport, as well as the rising price of everything

I'd agree on boxing. I love it but I feel like no one cares anymore.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Apr 22, '14, 7:01 pm

MLB: That the participation of the sport will keep declining in youths. Its already a problem in the African american community.

NFL: That so many major head injuries will happen that the league will fold because of law suits. Or that the game will become so water down that it will be unwatchable.

College: The game will become so based on greed that the schools will be giving contracts to students and become a minor league system to the pro leagues.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby PorkChop » Apr 22, '14, 7:19 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:
PorkChop wrote:MMA - Steroids, Dana White continuing to ruin the sport

I'd agree on boxing. I love it but I feel like no one cares anymore.

Boxing will have another nail hammered in its coffin when Mayweather retires, which is going to happen sooner or later. The sport is pretty much done.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 22, '14, 7:22 pm

DBSoT wrote:MLB: That the participation of the sport will keep declining in youths. Its already a problem in the African american community.

NFL: That so many major head injuries will happen that the league will fold because of law suits. Or that the game will become so water down that it will be unwatchable.

College: The game will become so based on greed that the schools will be giving contracts to students and become a minor league system to the pro leagues.

I agree with you but the main problem is the politics of the farm system is keeping the African Americans away.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Apr 22, '14, 7:33 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:
DBSoT wrote:MLB: That the participation of the sport will keep declining in youths. Its already a problem in the African american community.

I agree with you but the main problem is the politics of the farm system is keeping the African Americans away.

Well, the perceived politics anyway.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Apr 22, '14, 7:34 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:

I completely disagree with this. People completely misunderstand the real reasons for things when they look at this issue. It isn't a race issue, it's a socio-economic issue. White kids are less and less playing organized baseball as well and the reason is simple. Baseball equipment manufacturers are completely pricing America out of the sport. If you want competitive equipment by the time a kid is 12 or 13 you are talking about a 300-400 dollar bat and a 100-150 dollar glove to play the game. In basketball or football you spend 15 bucks on a ball and head to the park and play for years.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Chewy » Apr 22, '14, 7:40 pm

The Legend wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:

I completely disagree with this. People completely misunderstand the real reasons for things when they look at this issue. It isn't a race issue, it's a socio-economic issue. White kids are less and less playing organized baseball as well and the reason is simple. Baseball equipment manufacturers are completely pricing America out of the sport. If you want competitive equipment by the time a kid is 12 or 13 you are talking about a 300-400 dollar bat and a 100-150 dollar glove to play the game. In basketball or football you spend 15 bucks on a ball and head to the park and play for years.

Agreed and another aspect of the money thing is, that to get paid I baseball your looking at is even if you get drafted at 18, you're still likely in the minors for two to three years, then maybe you get called up. All the time making fuck all.

Then when you do get a major league contract you're paid not a great deal until your up for arbitration. It's a long time.

Then you look at football or basketball where you could be a millionaire after only one year of college.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby blackparade » Apr 22, '14, 7:51 pm

Motorsports: A car flying into the grandstands a la Le Mans 1955. It will end motorsports if that ever happens again.

blackparade Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 1

Postby DBSoT » Apr 22, '14, 8:21 pm

Chewy wrote:
The Legend wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:

Agreed and another aspect of the money thing is, that to get paid I baseball your looking at is even if you get drafted at 18, you're still likely in the minors for two to three years, then maybe you get called up. All the time making fuck all.

Then when you do get a major league contract you're paid not a great deal until your up for arbitration. It's a long time.

Then you look at football or basketball where you could be a millionaire after only one year of college.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. You do have to also add that college baseball players also have a different system than any other sport. This is because they can choose to enter the minors at 18 or they have to wait 3 years. Also its the only sport where you can be in the minors and go back to college to play a different sport if you choose. It does allow players some options, but it also can push kids to have to make some major decisions very young. In the case of low income youths I can see how a kid would pick up a basketball or football easily and how they would choose to get paid quicker in the NBA and NFL. The MLB needs to do what a lot of football organizations do and pay for the equipment the kids use. At least as rentals for the year.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby War Daddy » Apr 22, '14, 10:33 pm

I fear the day Tom Brady actually retires.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 23, '14, 12:06 pm

Football: Financial mismanagement will lead to clubs going under or into administration, especially at lower league level not helped by poor checks on new owners.

Boxing: The fights that should happen, won't happen as proven by the lack of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight

Cricket: Corruption

Golf: It will still be exclusive as it is now and no real diversity in the profile of players, namely that they will still be majority white players and no black players (few Asians but lack of black players besides Tiger is disappointing)

Last edited by AkydefGoldberg on Apr 23, '14, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Apr 23, '14, 12:08 pm

With the NFL I just have a feeling that if the league spends too long trying to fix things that aren't broken (in terms of rules, structure, etc.) that it'll kill off the league. The way the league is set up is perfect, and there are very few rules that I change. It's by far the biggest league in America. I don't see why they're so hell-bent on constantly switching things up.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Chewy » Apr 23, '14, 8:40 pm

It's already happened.

Moyes has been sacked.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Return to General Sports Discussion