It is currently: Apr 29, '24, 2:42 am

What is the most recent book you've read?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

What is the most recent book you've read?

Postby Everlong » Jan 28, '16, 4:15 pm

I'm currently readnig American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm about halfway through it and haven't decided whether I like it or not yet, but it's interesting at least.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What is the most recent book you've read?

Postby EmperorWu » Jan 28, '16, 4:46 pm

The Canvas Volume 1: The Shine. I dug it.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby BrautFan » Jan 28, '16, 4:47 pm

The Cat in the Hat

Don't laugh!

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby BrautFan » Jan 28, '16, 4:59 pm

I can explain: Today, I was in the public library listening to a woman read to her child,"The Cat in the Hat." The kid got restless and bored, so she declined to finish reading it aloud. Frustrated, I looked up the full text and read it all (to myself). It was delightful.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 11

Postby Hanley! » Jan 28, '16, 5:04 pm

Everlong wrote:I'm currently readnig American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm about halfway through it and haven't decided whether I like it or not yet, but it's interesting at least.

Is this the first Gaiman you've read? It's my least favourite of his, so if you're not digging it, try not to write off the rest of his stuff. His other stuff is great, and Neverwhere is particularly good. Unless you include Good Omens, which was his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, and one of my favourite books ever.

I've been on a real Brandon Sanderson kick lately. I finished Elantris just last week and I'm starting on Firefight now. He's probably better than any fantasy writer at creating intriguing fantasy worlds and creating interesting systems of magic that can actually be understood by the reader. I'm really loving his stuff. His writing always makes me eager to write myself.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jan 29, '16, 10:14 am

Hanley! wrote:Is this the first Gaiman you've read? It's my least favourite of his, so if you're not digging it, try not to write off the rest of his stuff. His other stuff is great, and Neverwhere is particularly good. Unless you include Good Omens, which was his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, and one of my favourite books ever.

It is the first Gaiman I've read. I'm at about 60 percent through it now, still unsure if I like it haha.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby ShaneOfan » Jan 29, '16, 8:35 pm

I'm reading one of Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory" alternate history novels. As well as a book called "Walking the Trail." About a man walking the Trail of Tears in reverse.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Daz » Jan 30, '16, 8:40 am

Been reading a lot of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer books recently, in preparation for my next novel. Love a good hard boiled detective story but the casual 40's racism is quite unsettling.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » Jan 30, '16, 9:46 am

Everlong wrote:It is the first Gaiman I've read. I'm at about 60 percent through it now, still unsure if I like it haha.

Yeah, it's a weird one. A lot of his fans think it's his best, but I'm the exact opposite. The thing is, I like the main story, but he overcomplicates things with all those shorter stories in between. His other novels tend to be shorter and more straight forward.

It might be worth noting that he wrote the movies Coraline, Stardust and Mirrormask too, along with the Sandman graphic novels, so you might have watched/read some of his stuff before without realising it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 07, '16, 6:17 am

Twice Bitten: Holyfield v Tyson II - story of the 'Bite Fight' in 1997.

It's a real good read on the backstory of both men, who have got similarities as much as they have their differences. The common perception is that the death of Cus D'Amato, Tyson's first trainer and father figure, was the beginning of a spiral towards controversy but it was maybe the death of his manager Jimmy Jacobs who was influential whom Tyson trusted just as much as D'Amato which affected Mike badly. I vaguely remember the furore when it happened but it delves into the characters (referees, promoters) also. Tyson's financial mismanagement discussed (Don King had him over a barrel IMO when Tyson was in prison) but Holyfield has had his issues with not being able to move on and his 11 kids to support.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » Sep 07, '16, 10:21 am

If you count audiobooks I'm listening to the Darth Bane trilogy right now. (Been out of the house a lot recently so I run out of podcasts to listen to so the audiobook was quite handy).

Authored by Drew Karpyshyn, the dude who wrote Knights of the Old Republic. I've found it quite enjoyable, Bane is responsible for the one master, one apprentice setup that's in place when the movies roll around, cool seeing the reasoning behind it and whatnot. It also helps a lot that they have the licensed Star Wars music, there was a big moment earlier on when Bane lost his shit and force choked a guy and this music flared up. That was the moment I was sold.

I've just finished the first one, Path of Destruction, now I'm onto the second of the trilogy, Rule of Two. Been having a great time with them, would recommend.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Everlong » Sep 07, '16, 1:10 pm

Well this is an old thread!

The mot recent book I completed was The Nightingale, which was pretty good if a little heavy handed at times. Now I'm working on The Girl Who Played with Fire.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby JDD » Sep 07, '16, 9:11 pm

Just finished reading through my Scott Pilgrim graphic novels for the millionth time if that counts :lol Been trying to start reading more books. I borrowed Inherent Vice from a friend a while back and still have yet to read it, may give that a read soon.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Daz » Sep 08, '16, 2:17 am

Going on holiday next week, which is where I plan to catch up on some reading, so hopefully I'll have a plethora of books to add to this list.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » Sep 09, '16, 5:07 pm

I need closure on whether or not Tim actually liked American Gods in the end. :P

They're making a television show out of it now. I actually think that has the potential to be better than the book.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 09, '16, 10:03 pm

I've been on a John Grisham marathon and have read The Testament, The Racketeer, The King of Torts, and am currently on The Client.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to The Pub