It is currently: May 08, '24, 11:25 pm

Need Advice - I'm about to be fired..

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: Need Advice - I'm about to be fired..

Postby HardcoreLegend » Jan 18, '16, 7:10 pm

Did you get fired then?

Shame the security guard couldn't have turned a blind eye to something so minuscule.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 50

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '16, 11:50 am

I still want to know what crisps they were...

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Jan 25, '16, 9:23 am

Forgot about this, what happened in the end?

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Headlesspete » Jan 25, '16, 10:11 pm

Ah, yeah, so what happened..

I got fired! I went to my meeting, and although i presented a really strong case about how i genuinely didn't realize what i did would result in such drastic action, and apologized repeatedly...the boss still fired me. To be fair, before i even went to my meeting, my actual boss (it was the area manager who fired me and dealt with all this, my actual in store boss was really nice and tried his best to help) helped me out. I had another job interview while on suspended leave, so i rang my nice boss and asked him what the chances were i was gonna get sacked, and he told me off the record to take the other job as he'd already been told irreverent of what happens at my disciplinary hearing and whatever case i make, I'm gonna be fired "to prove a point", basically, I was made an example out of.

So yeah, i got sacked, but by the time the meeting actually happens (2 weeks after the incident) I'd been paid 2 weeks wages on suspended leave AND get another job before it all got wrapped up. So yeah, it sucked, but things turned out all right in the end i guess. Had i not got the other job, i would have definitely appealed, as the area manager broke numerous confidentiality and privacy rules, but as i had another job ready, it felt better just to leave it be.

Oh, but after actually being told i was fired, i did tell my area manager he had "no compassion, no empathy" I told him that firing someone a week before Christmas was outright disgusting, and that he should be ashamed of himself. He said he was sorry i was upset, to which i said he was patronizing for apologizing, as it was his predetermined choice to do this no matter what. He just sat there looking stupid, so yeah, i said my piece before i left, and to be honest, I'm glad its all turned out the way it did. :)

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 25, '16, 10:40 pm

Headlesspete wrote:Oh, but after actually being told i was fired, i did tell my area manager he had "no compassion, no empathy" I told him that firing someone a week before Christmas was outright disgusting, and that he should be ashamed of himself.

But you admittedly did break the rules and he was completely justified in his firing of you. Why so harsh on him?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Jan 26, '16, 2:10 am

What kind of crisps though?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 26, '16, 2:14 am

@PorkChop

SlightlyJames wrote:He said 10p crisps so I'm assuming low-tier own brand crisps or something like Chipsticks, Space Raiders etc.

Other candidates would be something like Johnny's Onion Rings or Build a Bike. There are many possibilities.

We need answers Pete!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 26, '16, 4:40 am

PorkChop wrote:What kind of crisps though?

Answer us dammit!!

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Jan 26, '16, 5:34 am

Sounds like if your store manager had had his way then you would have kept your job. Yes you broke the rules, but the area manager sounds like an arse. Like you say though, things worked out in the end. You live and you learn.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Headlesspete » Jan 26, '16, 8:38 am

Str8Shooter wrote:
Headlesspete wrote:Oh, but after actually being told i was fired, i did tell my area manager he had "no compassion, no empathy" I told him that firing someone a week before Christmas was outright disgusting, and that he should be ashamed of himself.

But you admittedly did break the rules and he was completely justified in his firing of you. Why so harsh on him?

No, he wasn't at all. First off, he had already told my manager that he was going to fire me, BEFORE i had chance to state my case and argue what had gone on. He'd made a predetermined choice about my fate, and to me, that completely biased and unfair. I never stood a chance

And 2nd, as i argued on the day, the definition of theft is (As stated on Legal legislation UK) "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly. However, it also states when it comes to the word "dishonesty in that statement, the following "A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—if he appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other’s consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it". Thus, as stated, when i took the crisps, i had assumed the company i worked for would OK with me taking them, as my previous employers had been OK with me taking old stock. So, as i didn't take it with dishonestly, it can't technically be "theft", as theft can only occur when its taken with dishonesty.

My area managers response to all of that? "Theft is theft", even though I'd plainly explained how it wasn't actually theft. But its irreverent, because he'd already made his choice to fire me BEFORE i presented my case.

I do like how you think i was the harsh one, ya know, when he fired me a WEEK before Christmas for a bag of crisps.

Last edited by Headlesspete on Jan 26, '16, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Headlesspete » Jan 26, '16, 8:41 am

Oh, and for all those wanting to know what crisps they were, drum roll please......

Spoiler:

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 26, '16, 9:24 am

Headlesspete wrote:I do like how you think i was the harsh one, ya know, when he fired me a WEEK before Christmas for a bag of crisps.

Well considering you seemed to have changed your tune quite a bit from when you posted this in the very first post of the thread.

Headlesspete wrote:So i work in a supermarket, and today i stole a packet of crisps. I admit right off the bat, I'm in the wrong, technically its theft no doubt.

Now you seem awfully defensive about the whole thing like it was no big deal.

Maybe the guy was a bit of a jerk for canning your ass right before Christmas. And maybe you were a bit of a jerk for taking something that didn't belong to you and putting him in a position to fire somebody right before Christmas.

This is hardly a black and white situation.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Headlesspete » Jan 26, '16, 11:00 am

Str8Shooter wrote:
Headlesspete wrote:I do like how you think i was the harsh one, ya know, when he fired me a WEEK before Christmas for a bag of crisps.

Well considering you seemed to have changed your tune quite a bit from when you posted this in the very first post of the thread.

Headlesspete wrote:So i work in a supermarket, and today i stole a packet of crisps. I admit right off the bat, I'm in the wrong, technically its theft no doubt.

Now you seem awfully defensive about the whole thing like it was no big deal.

Maybe the guy was a bit of a jerk for canning your ass right before Christmas. And maybe you were a bit of a jerk for taking something that didn't belong to you and putting him in a position to fire somebody right before Christmas.

This is hardly a black and white situation.

I think i posted this maybe a few hours after it had gone down, so yeah, i just assumed technically there was no way i could argue my case, and that it was simply black and white, until i actually researched and looked into things more, and found out what "theft" actually means.

Anyway, its over with now, although you clearly have a completely different definition of the word "jerk" to me.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 26, '16, 11:21 am

I feel the need to begin this by remembering that this is all about a bag of knockoff Hula Hoops, as such I wouldn't take what I'm about to say as seriously as the written tone might suggest, reading it back. :P

Pete from what you wrote in the initial post you clearly felt at the time that you were in the wrong. As trivial of a matter as it is, the fact that you found a technicality that means you didn't necessarily legally steal, the fact that you described it as stealing in the first place makes me feel that you're grasping at straws there. I don't know where you're getting biased from, do you have any reason to think that he wouldn't have fired anyone else in your position?

As far as unfair goes, sure the timing was shitty but policy is what it is. The way you worded it that you were being fired to "prove a point" paints it as some kind of conspiracy or something but when the point he's making is 'don't steal shit' I'd say it's a fair point to make. :lol The fact you went off on him and rejected his apology seems petty, predetermined or not his decision to let you go seems a fair one to me.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Jan 26, '16, 1:32 pm

^ Though if the guy legitimately did make up his mind before the hearing, then that actually isn't fair. If people were supposed to make up their minds before hearings, then there wouldn't be a requirement for them. Certain acts do warrant immediate termination, but this clearly wasn't one of those.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Previous

Return to The Pub