It is currently: May 10, '24, 2:31 am

Your favourite home cooked meal?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Your favourite home cooked meal?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 24, '15, 3:38 pm

South Asian cuisine always brings different options but for me, bar none, is a chicken curry with spinach that's nice and thick and I could easily have two chapattis with that. In fact, my wife made it for me after our marriage and I could have licked the plate clean (plus the in-laws were nearby and probably wouldn't have been too impressed!)

What about the rest of you?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Your favourite home cooked meal?

Postby Hanley! » Nov 24, '15, 3:42 pm

My wife-to-be (in four days time) makes an amazing jambalaya. A big plate of that with some crusty bread and a bottle of white wine might just be the best home cooked meal in the history of mankind.

If it was something that I cook myself, I'd probably go with a sausage rigatoni pasta recipe that I occasionally make for Saturday nights at home.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Nov 24, '15, 4:19 pm

My dad sometimes throws together spaghetti, mozzarella, bacon, tomatoes and spinach. It's really good.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Nov 26, '15, 4:47 am

I make an amazing chilli, I would have it a few times a week if I could (sometimes I do if there are left overs in the freezer).

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby DBSoT » Nov 26, '15, 9:52 am

My girlfriend makes this amazing steak with garlic and sage. I put A1 on pretty much every steak I eat, but I can't with this one. It is perfect by itself.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Chewy » Nov 27, '15, 2:06 pm

My wife's slow cooked beef brisket with garlic beans and sweet potato.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby JPG619 » Nov 27, '15, 11:05 pm

I have to go with my moms homemade pasta. I remember as a teenager my mom wanted to try something new so she cooked this pasta dish from scratch and end up being a family favourite for years to come

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Candyman44 » Dec 07, '15, 3:22 pm

It's something called balmoral chicken. Its chicken breast stuffed with haggis, wrapped in bacon and topped with peppercorn sauce. Served with mashed potatoes and mashed turnip. So simple but unbelievably good.

Candyman44 None specified
Gym Rat
Gym Rat

Postby The Legend » Dec 07, '15, 3:46 pm

I'm not sure whether I'm more amazed an Irishman's favorite home cooked dish is jambalaya or an Aussie's favorite home cooked meal is brisket. I need explanations of how these came about. @Hanley! @Chewy

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Dec 07, '15, 3:54 pm

Well Ireland doesn't really have much of its own kind of cuisine, so we just borrow from elsewhere. I grew up in a family where we ate all sorts of different food from other countries, which was a blessing. It definitely instilled a love of food in me from an early age, whereas a lot of my friends would have had a typical meat and two veg dinner every night.

I didn't try jambalaya specifically until I started going out with Kirbi though. She made it for me once, it was the best thing ever, and she then made it for me several more times over the following years. It's been a pretty good arrangement, I have to say. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Dec 07, '15, 3:58 pm

Hanley! wrote:Well Ireland doesn't really have much of its own kind of cuisine, so we just borrow from elsewhere. I grew up in a family where we ate all sorts of different food from other countries, which was a blessing. It definitely instilled a love of food in me from an early age, whereas a lot of my friends would have had a typical meat and two veg dinner every night.

I didn't try jambalaya specifically until I started going out with Kirbi though. She made it for me once, it was the best thing ever, and she then made it for me several more times over the following years. It's been a pretty good arrangement, I have to say. :P

I thought Ireland was a meat and potatoes country :P

So @Kirbi Where'd you learn to cook Louisiana cuisine?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Dec 07, '15, 4:02 pm

We do have plenty of meat and potatoes, but that's a pretty boring diet to live off 7 days a week. People would stick more to that sort of diet in the countryside too, compared to those in the cities, who eat Italian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. Same as America really.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Dec 07, '15, 4:03 pm

Hanley! wrote:We do have plenty of meat and potatoes, but that's a pretty boring diet to live off 7 days a week. People would stick more to that sort of diet in the countryside too, compared to those in the cities, who eat Italian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. Same as America really.

Yeah, I'm just having a bit of fun. For what it's worth I'm like 20% Irish.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Chewy » Dec 27, '15, 4:46 pm

The Legend wrote:I'm not sure whether I'm more amazed an Irishman's favorite home cooked dish is jambalaya or an Aussie's favorite home cooked meal is brisket. I need explanations of how these came about. @Hanley! @Chewy

I've been to Texas.

In my mind there are only two types of people, people who love BBQ and people who haven't tried it.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby HardcoreLegend » Jan 18, '16, 7:17 pm

The other day I got the chip pan out and made some proper home cooked chips. Had totally forgotten how nice they actually are compared to frozen ones or ones from the chip shop.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby War Daddy » Jan 18, '16, 7:53 pm

Booty.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 19, '16, 2:51 pm

HardcoreLegend wrote:The other day I got the chip pan out and made some proper home cooked chips. Had totally forgotten how nice they actually are compared to frozen ones or ones from the chip shop.

Ha, I did it on Saturday but mine probably ended more crispier (euphemism for burnt!) than yours. I wanted to make some home cooked chips in our grill/oven, but after 15mins, they weren't cooking great and I was starving so dunked them in the oil! Not the finest chips I've ever made.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby The Legend » Jan 19, '16, 2:56 pm

Chewy wrote:
The Legend wrote:I'm not sure whether I'm more amazed an Irishman's favorite home cooked dish is jambalaya or an Aussie's favorite home cooked meal is brisket. I need explanations of how these came about. @Hanley! @Chewy

I've been to Texas.

In my mind there are only two types of people, people who love BBQ and people who haven't tried it.

I agree.

World Champion
World Champion

Return to The Pub