It is currently: May 10, '24, 9:19 am

Pewdiepie made $7.45 million last year

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: Pewdiepie made $7.45 million last year

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:42 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:If it's easy, go do it brother. Make some fucking bank.

thats not the point but ok

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Daz » Jul 06, '15, 3:44 pm

Circled Square wrote:
Daz wrote:
Circled Square wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:He's a brand. He's an advertiser. He doesn't just film himself playing games as much I hate him, I know there's more to it than that.

He probably works more hours than most.

I can go and start paying for CircledSquare T-shirts, mugs, etc. It's not difficult. At this point I'd assume he has people working for him.

Go market my book. when you make me 7 million off of it, I'll give you 25%.

What's easier to market, playing Minecraft [and pandering to kiddies] or a book?

You said you could put your name on a mug and do it. And you'd be working for me.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:47 pm

Sure, I can burn some money and make my own t-shirts, mugs, posters, armbands, etc. Marketing's not the hard part lmao. And if people think pewdiepie does everything himself, well, okay. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 3:48 pm

Circled Square wrote: Marketing's not the hard part lmao.

It really is though.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:49 pm

Everlong wrote:

It really is though.

Yeah, must be hard to have a Twitter account. It all goes back to right place, right time. If you're a YouTuber, the fans you've built, they'll advertise you for free anyway.

To put this simply: If PewDiePie started his channel in 2015 he'd be nothing. 5 foot nothing. 175 pounds of nothing.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 3:52 pm

Circled Square wrote:Yeah, must be hard to have a Twitter account. It all goes back to right place, right time. If you're a YouTuber, the fans you've built, they'll advertise you for free anyway.

To put this simply: If PewDiePie started his channel in 2015 he'd be nothing.

I don't think you have any idea of how hard it is to start from nothing and build up a huge following.

I work in marketing. I see this every single day. Any company/person can build a good product that people would be interested in. Where so many of these small businesses fail is getting the word out, building customer loyalty, and creating a strong brand identity.

It's the same thing for YouTube celebrities like this guy. At some point, he started up from absolutely nothing. Whether he has people helping him now or not (and I'm sure he probably does, yeah), he did the leg work by himself to get to the point where he really had a brand identity that was garnering loyalty from YouTube followers. He's definitely self-made in that regard.

It's not just a matter of putting up social media accounts and starting to post. It's way, way more complicated than that. If it were that easy, all of us would be filthy rich right now.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Jul 06, '15, 3:54 pm

Circled Square wrote:
Everlong wrote:

It really is though.

Yeah, must be hard to have a Twitter account. It all goes back to right place, right time. If you're a YouTuber, the fans you've built, they'll advertise you for free anyway.

To put this simply: If PewDiePie started his channel in 2015 he'd be nothing. 5 foot nothing. 175 pounds of nothing.

You severely underestimate how hard marketing is.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:57 pm

Okay, you work in marketing. Great. What does that make you? YouTube's a different animal. He got popular no doubt by his own work. But, and this is a big BUT, he wouldn't be who he was if he didn't start before the market got flooded by commentators. Just like Ray William Johnson. Remember when he was top dog? Took advantage of the Tosh.o-esque videos at the right place, at the right time. It's nothing else but timing. How many people can go out, buy a Snowball mic, a HDPVR, and start commentating? A shit-ton. The differnce is, PewdiePie got there in-time, before everybody started doing it. It's a reason why he's successful, if not the reason. Again, he starts his channel now, he'd be a needle in a haystack.

You severely underestimate how hard marketing is.

Nice, everyone all of a sudden is a marketing genius. Okay.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 3:58 pm

Circled Square wrote:Okay, you work in marketing. Great. What does that make you?

...significantly more knowledgeable in this particular field than you?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 4:01 pm

Everlong wrote:
Circled Square wrote:Okay, you work in marketing. Great. What does that make you?

...significantly more knowledgeable in this particular field than you?

Sick burn bro.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 4:03 pm

It's not meant to be a burn. I have a lot of insight into this particular field, and your previous response basically dismissed it. I have a pretty good idea of how hard it is to find success in web marketing, and it's pretty hard man.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 4:06 pm

Everlong wrote:It's not meant to be a burn. I have a lot of insight into this particular field, and your previous response basically dismissed it. I have a pretty good idea of how hard it is to find success in web marketing, and it's pretty hard man.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm really not, but YouTube's such a strange way to make money, it's very specific. When you say something like "I've got marketing experience" it comes off to me as a bit vague. My bad for misunderstanding the comment. But hey, you run this site, you must know -something- about spreading the message across the net.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 4:10 pm

And I'm a total hypocrite for saying I wouldn't turn this into a multi-paged bitchfest. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby UTK » Jul 06, '15, 4:10 pm

I think we need Bryan Eggers' expertise on marketing in here.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 4:15 pm

UTK wrote:I think we need Bryan Eggers' expertise on marketing in here.

Implying you don't browse LasVegasNews for your up-to-date Nevada info.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Jul 06, '15, 4:24 pm

Circled Square wrote:The differnce is, PewdiePie got there in-time, before everybody started doing it.

Being the first person to do a particular thing is a good starting point if you're looking to attract viewers, no doubt about it. You're starting off without direct competition and you're offering something new. I don't know how innovating in this way is a bad thing though.

I mean, if you're saying that it's kinda crazy that this guy is so successful and popular, then I'd agree with you really. But at the same time, fair play to the guy for managing to make so much money doing this kind of work. It can't have been easy to get himself into this position, but now he gets to be rich for playing video games and stuff.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 4:29 pm

He's self made no doubt. But the stars aligned for him IMO. He's lucky he didn't start a year later.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 06, '15, 4:56 pm

Circled Square wrote:
Everlong wrote:It's not meant to be a burn. I have a lot of insight into this particular field, and your previous response basically dismissed it. I have a pretty good idea of how hard it is to find success in web marketing, and it's pretty hard man.

I'm not trying to be a dick,

If your post starts with "I'm not trying to be a dick", you are almost certainly about to be a dick.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 5:04 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

I'm not trying to be a dick,

If your post starts with "I'm not trying to be a dick", you are almost certainly about to be a dick.

or maybe it's because I was banned for being a dick and wanted to clarify I wasn't trolling.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Jul 06, '15, 6:12 pm

His let's play CAN be funny, albeit rare. However the rest of his shit is absurd. Kudos tho.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub