It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 8:43 am

Pewdiepie made $7.45 million last year

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Pewdiepie made $7.45 million last year

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 1:40 pm

http://dlvr.it/BQT9VC

I have heard of this guy but had never seen any of his videos before. They're fucking stupid. I don't understand one bit how he got so popular.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Pewdiepie made $7.45 million last year

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 1:46 pm

I never could get into these Let's Play guys. They all seem to be cringey. Only guy I can stand to watch play vidya is Cr1tikal.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Daz » Jul 06, '15, 1:51 pm

He's pretty much made a fortune acting like we all did as kids playing video games. Not bad work if you can get it.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 1:53 pm

Daz wrote:He's pretty much made a fortune acting like we all did as kids playing video games. Not bad work if you can get it.

It's not a real job. No matter how many hours he puts into editing videos, its such a millennial job.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 06, '15, 1:59 pm

Daz wrote:He's pretty much made a fortune acting like we all did as kids playing video games. Not bad work if you can get it.

I was never that much of a cock.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby prophet » Jul 06, '15, 2:00 pm

I've never watched a PewDiePie video but good for him, I guess. Living the dream.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Jul 06, '15, 2:05 pm

Circled Square wrote:

It's not a real job. No matter how many hours he puts into editing videos, its such a millennial job.

So, who are you to justify what's a real job or not? He's playing by the rules of our society. He's actively doing something that is not illegal that people are willing to pay him money for. And he's found a way in an increasingly difficult economy to be self-sufficient, what's not to embrace?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Jul 06, '15, 2:16 pm

Things I need to do over the next year:
1. Record myself playing video games
2. Put video on YouTube
3 ?
4 Profit.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 2:21 pm

The Legend wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

So, who are you to justify what's a real job or not? He's playing by the rules of our society. He's actively doing something that is not illegal that people are willing to pay him money for. And he's found a way in an increasingly difficult economy to be self-sufficient, what's not to embrace?

Pardon me. I just don't think that talking to yourself or streaming yourself playing Minecraft is the hardest of work. He doesn't need to do drywall lmao but he's not worth 7 million dollars. It's a niche job that'll only exist in our generation IMO. Eventually corporations will take them over if they haven't already.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 06, '15, 2:34 pm

Circled Square wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

Pardon me. I just don't think that talking to yourself or streaming yourself playing Minecraft is the hardest of work. He doesn't need to do drywall lmao but he's not worth 7 million dollars. It's a niche job that'll only exist in our generation IMO. Eventually corporations will take them over if they haven't already.

Brother puts out pretty shitty content imo but he's built an audience that watch his shit religiously enough to make him a millionaire. It doesn't get any more legitimate than that.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 2:38 pm

Meh. He wasn't the first to do it. He didn't bring anything new to the table. It's why I don't really have that much respect for the guy. When I see a guy who makes 7 million a year I expect him to be innovative. He wasn't, isn't, it's simply right place, right time. I'm not going to go into a 4 page bitchfest about Pewdiepie, don't think I can sink that low. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 06, '15, 3:07 pm

He's a brand. He's an advertiser. He doesn't just film himself playing games as much I hate him, I know there's more to it than that.

He probably works more hours than most. I'd probably agree there was a degree of luck that his videos hit where others didn't.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:08 pm

SortaCreative wrote:He's a brand. He's an advertiser. He doesn't just film himself playing games as much I hate him, I know there's more to it than that.

He probably works more hours than most.

I can go and start paying for CircledSquare T-shirts, mugs, etc. It's not difficult. At this point I'd assume he has people working for him.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 06, '15, 3:22 pm

Circled Square wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:He's a brand. He's an advertiser. He doesn't just film himself playing games as much I hate him, I know there's more to it than that.

I can go and start paying for CircledSquare T-shirts, mugs, etc. It's not difficult. At this point I'd assume he has people working for him.

He's more a brand than just tshirts and mugs. His name and his personality now carry weight because of his audience. He essentially sells his audience. That's his business.

He can go to a company and say your game will be seen by x amount of people, 100%. Whether or not that does anything for the game, is still yet to be seen. But the guaranteed target audience is something people want. No ones been able to advertise like that before.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:26 pm

Well there's commentators who play NBA 2K who get to tell the developers what they'd like AND get early access to the game. And they don't make 7 million a year. So I'm going to assume the attention doesn't really matter, the game will be bought with or without Pewdiepie. He can't save a game from being horseshit.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 06, '15, 3:27 pm

Circled Square wrote:Well there's commentators who play NBA 2K who get to tell the developers what they'd like AND get early access to the game. And they don't make 7 million a year. So I'm going to assume the attention doesn't really matter, the game will be bought with or without Pewdiepie. He can't save a game from being horseshit.

ok cool

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Jul 06, '15, 3:32 pm

Circled Square wrote:

Go market my book. when you make me 7 million off of it, I'll give you 25%.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jul 06, '15, 3:34 pm

Daz wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

Go market my book. when you make me 7 million off of it, I'll give you 25%.

What's easier to market, playing Minecraft [and pandering to kiddies] or a book?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 06, '15, 3:39 pm

If it's easy, go do it brother. Make some fucking bank.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '15, 3:41 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:If it's easy, go do it brother. Make some fucking bank.

But first market www.squaredcircle.net and www.novacritic.com pls

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Next

Return to The Pub