It is currently: May 21, '24, 3:36 pm

Halloween Season

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Halloween Season

Postby Ace » Oct 15, '14, 10:20 pm

Well I've been away for a few weeks, focusing on school & work along with other personal stuff :facepalm

Anyway, since Halloween is my favorite holiday, I decided that upon my return I'd entertain y'all with some cool scary stories to get into the mood of the Halloween season around here.

STORY #1 - RED WITH WHITE

One late night a tired man stopped to get a room at a hotel in the middle of nowhere out in the country. The man received the room key & before he could start making his way to the room, the front desk clerk stopped him & warned the man of a room on the 3rd floor.
"Your room is 311; on the top floor. You'll pass a room with no number on it before you get to yours. It is locked & no one is allowed inside the room."
The man shrugged & agreed to the condition of the numberless room.
"Another thing..." said the clerk. "Don't look though the keyhole..."
Again the man agreed & headed up to his room. Once he got to the 3rd floor he found the door with no number. Written on the door was, 'FORBIDDEN. DO NOT ENTER'.
The man looked around & his curiosity got the best of him. He grabbed the handle. It was locked just as the clerk had warned, so the man then decided to look through the keyhole. Cold air brushed his face as he leaned down. There, in the room, he saw a woman; young with long black hair. She wore a long white dress & her skin was just as white as her gown. She faced away from the door.
The man was confused as to how the woman got into the sealed room & decided that he'd alert the clerk in the morning as he was too tired to do so at that moment. That night he thought about what he had seen in the room before finally going to bed.
The next morning, the man once again was passing the door & decided to take another look into the keyhole to see if the woman was still in the room. This time when he looked into the room all he saw was bright red. He couldn't see anything else & thought that maybe the woman had covered the keyhole because she knew he had peaked inside the room.
When he got to the front desk he told the clerk that he had seen a woman in the restricted numberless room. She said that she was aware that there was a woman in there. The man then asked why she was allowed into the room when no one else was. The clerk ominously responded...
"Well I guess I'll tell you the truth about that room. Long ago a man murdered his wife in there. Her ghost haunts the room & that's why no one is allowed in or out."
"I believe I saw her last night. She had white skin & white dress." the man responded.
"Did you see them then? Her eyes?" asked the clerk.
"No. She was facing away from the room."
"Good. Those who have seen them have lost their minds.
HER EYES ARE A BRIGHT RED COLOR...

I did research & am not aware of the origins. I read it a few years ago on Reddit & this version is my own; although I do not claim ownership of the original story.

P.S.- I will be submitting one everyday until & including the day of Halloween

I hope you guys enjoyed! :tim

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Halloween Season

Postby PorkChop » Oct 16, '14, 4:23 am

Another three:

Spoiler:
Around two years ago, I finally moved into a brand new house in a brand new building estate in Australia. I was one of the first to have a finished build in the area and was elated to finally gain independence. The first few weeks went by as normal and during that time, I'd often take walks alone with the dog in the afternoons and roam the surrounding estate area.

All the roads around us had been partially completed and all the other properties were marked out, but no other houses were built excluding one that was directly opposite mine. The house looked finished, but there was no driveway laid yet and from what I could gather, noone lived there.

To the left of my house roughly a few hundred meters away was a field with a huge hill in it. I later found out that the whole area was council property, not only was noone allowed to build up there but the whole hill was basically a no go zone. For whatever reason, the council just didn't want people on it so the whole area was surrounded by a huge chain link fence.

The only other noticeable feature in the area was a small abandoned farm house with a shed a few kilometres down the road. I knew nothing about it and often went walking there with the dog as it gave me something mild to explore amongst the vast nothingness I was living around. The entire place was dilapidated and completely inhabitable, but it was still interesting none the less.

About a month or two after moving in, I awoke one morning to the sound of a violin. It sounded extremely distant and quite haunting, I actually enjoyed it and assumed that the neighbours opposite me has finally moved in. Excited that I finally had some people to talk to, I peeked out the curtain and saw the house opposite mine was still as vacant as it ever was. I got dressed but by the time I managed to look outside, the violin has stopped.

This happened roughly every second day for the next week, the violin would wake me up and then just disappear after about 45 seconds. I'd ignored it to the point where my curiosity simply got the better of me and the next morning when I heard the violin playing again I immediately jumped out of bed, threw on my dressing gown and shot out the front door. I scoured the early morning surrounding and there, up on the hill, was a figure playing a violin.

It was barely light, but the person looked very tall from the distance I was at and as they were playing, was doing what could only be described as a waltz-type walk, spinning slowly around in a circle as they played. I took my eyes off the person and walked over to pick up the morning paper and in the 10 seconds that took me, I heard the violin stop.

When I looked up, I noticed the figure was no longer playing or dancing, but was now standing still and most likely looking in my direction. It was so dark i couldn't make out and more and we both just stood there for half a minute not moving before the creeps got the better of me and I went back inside.

After that morning, things started happening. On my walks I began to notice footprints on the surrounding properties that weren't made by me and that I'd never seen before, which I just assumed were from people walking up from the other housing areas down the road. I never awoke to the violin, but I swore I could hear someone walking on the street next to my bedroom window in the early mornings, however I never saw anything.

Other really general things as well, like random tools such as spades and rakes laying around the area which I guessed were left there by construction crews, none of which I ever saw. I'd started getting calls at work that would immediately hang up on me and I also stopped walking up to the abandon farm house, as the experience with the violin player had me a little shaken.

One night as I was heading to bed, I turned off the television in the living room and again, could hear the faint sound of a violin playing, however it sounded more muffled and rehearsed.

I froze and a cold chill flowed through me instantaneously. Considering that it was about midnight and not the usual time I'd hear it playing, I went to the front window and peeked out to see that there was a light in the house opposite mine. It was clearly a candle as I could see the dim light flicker in the empty window and the music sounded like it was coming from an old record player, but in the ten minutes I watched, I never saw any movement inside the house.

I moved away from the window sufficiently freaked out and after another five minutes, I heard the music abruptly stop. I peeked out again to notice the light was now out. I never saw anyone. I began to become unsettled in the house and would often invite friends over to hang out until late, but of course nothing would ever happen when someone else was with me. I never bothered to tell any of my friends as without evidence, I figured they'd just give me shit about it and I'd just become more agitated.

But nothing compared to what happened next. In my living area, the desk sits right next to a small window which looks out to the fence surrounding my property. The steel fence is literally an arms length from the house and about six feet tall so I always figured that, unlike most of the other windows, I'd never need to cover this one with a sheet or blanket because noone could ever see in. I usually had headphones on when I played and I always had the lights off, for no other reason than I preferred to play games in the dark.

One night when I was gaming, I got up and walked into the dark kitchen and got a beer out of the fridge. It was dead silent excluding the faint sound coming out of my headphones. As I closed the fridge and turned around to face the desk, I saw directly out the window two very, very faint lights.

I didn't even catch on and immediately started walking back to the desk fixated on the small glowing balls and it wasn't until I had my nose almost pressed against the glass that I realised the two lights weren't lights at all.

They were eyes.

A set of eyes, sitting just above the fence line staring wide open at me. They didn't blink. They didn't move. My entire body locked up, all I could do was simply stare back as my brain was still comprehending that there was an actual person looking at me in the scariest way I could possibly ever imagine. I don't know what happened, either my head kicked into gear or my muscles loosened but my body automatically collapsed and I fell to the floor, scurrying to hide against the wall away from the window.

I could hear my heart beating through the carpet like a drum as I tried to lay as flat as possible and as my mind was still processing the sheer severity of the situation, a violin started playing. That fucking violin and the haunting tune it always emitted started up, except this time it was directly outside my window and much louder than I'd ever heard it before.

The lights were still off and I wanted to get up to turn off the PC screen so I couldn't be seen, but my whole body just wasn't ready to cooperate. Not only was the sound of the instrument extraordinarily loud, but it sounded like it was been played with frustration, notes been missed frequently and the strings screeching. The pace of it was getting faster and faster and by this time, my dog Jeb out in the backyard had picked up on the situation and registering an unfamiliar sound, gave one solitary, deep bark.

The violin instantly stopped and the house was finally dead silent excluding my headphones which I could hear quietly working away. I was still frozen to the carpet and it wasn't until Jeb gave a second menacing bark that I heard the figure outside the window start to walk away in the direction of my yard.

Once that first footstep hit the ground, I instantly thought of the welfare of my best mate and finally, my head connected with my extremities and my entire body kicked into overdrive. I left from the ground and slid across the laminated floor to the backdoor where Jeb was standing, staring into the backyard. I ducked to keep low and quietly unlocked and slid open the door.

Usually doing so would notify Jeb that he was allowed inside but when the door opened up, he didn't move an inch and was completely fixated on the pitch black backyard. Everything told me not to go outside but there was no chance I was letting anything happen to my dog and I moved out onto the alfresco, moved behind Jeb, put my hand under his collar and attempted to back him toward the house. Jeb is a pure labrador and weighs like a sack of sand so when he doesn't want to move, it takes a sheer force to pull him in the direction you want him to go and right now, Jeb wasn't going anywhere.

I yanked at his scruff and as I did, he emitted a bark like I'd never heard before, a deep, bellowing "fuck you right off" sound that elevated my nerves to an all time high. We both just stood there, waiting for some form of reply and I couldn't remember how long we both just froze there, but eventually i heard footsteps from around the side of the house begin to walk away. But not a simple walk, almost like whoever was doing it was slowly dancing in a circle, the footsteps keeping to a beat as they drifted away from the house into the distance.

Once I couldn't hear anything, Jeb licked his lips, gave me a look and wandered back inside. I followed, locked the door behind me and spent the night reverting to my child-like self; hiding under my bed covers with my dog. I didn't sleep a wink.

That was the last time I ever saw or heard the violin player. The following morning when the sun finally came up, I called into work sick and called the police. They scoured the lot next to mine and found footprints in the dirt, however there were so many there that it was impossible to tell who's were who's. The only description I could give to the officer was his height, he would have had to be over 6ft to stare over that fence at me but they explained that he could have been standing on something, or on his toes.

They also told me that they've never received a report of anyone playing a violin in the area or anyone been in the fenced off hill either. I essentially looked like an insane person, but the officers were very nice about the whole thing and offered to patrol the area for the next few nights which helped put my mind at ease. Nothing else has happened since then.

Over the next year or two, people finally started moving in and I tell them all the story about the figure I saw, some of which still use to keep their children in line which I found funny. One guy nicknamed the council lot 'Violin Hill' and the name has stuck around our street since then. I even spent a period of time scoring the depths of the Internet for that violin tune I kept hearing, but could never find it. There were a few classical pieces that seemed reminiscent, but I've since thought that whatever tune was played must have been self composed, which creeps me out even more.

I'm still in the house, I still tell people the story and I haven't changed my routine one bit which has really helped me to block out the fear of the experience.

I game with the blinds closed now.

Spoiler:
About five years ago I lived downtown in a major city in the US. I've always been a night person, so I would often find myself bored after my roommate, who was decidedly not a night person, went to sleep. To pass the time, I used to go for long walks and spend the time thinking.

I spent four years like that, walking alone at night, and never once had a reason to feel afraid. I always used to joke with my roommate that even the drug dealers in the city were polite. But all of that changed in just a few minutes of one evening.

It was a Wednesday, somewhere between one and two in the morning, and I was walking near a police patrolled park quite a ways from my apartment. It was a quiet night, even for a week night, with very little traffic and almost no one on foot. The park, as it was most nights, was completely empty.

I turned down a short side street in order to loop back to my apartment when I first noticed him. At the far end of the street, on my side, was the silhouette of a man, dancing. It was a strange dance, similar to a waltz, but he finished each "box" with an odd forward stride. I guess you could say he was dance-walking, headed straight for me.

Deciding he was probably drunk, I stepped as close as I could to the road to give him the majority of the sidewalk to pass me by. The closer he got, the more I realized how gracefully he was moving. He was very tall and lanky, and wearing an old suit. He danced closer still, until I could make out his face. His eyes were open wide and wild, head tilted back slightly, looking off at the sky. His mouth was formed in a painfully wide cartoon of a smile. Between the eyes and the smile, I decided to cross the street before he danced any closer.

I took my eyes off of him to cross the empty street. As I reached the other side, I glanced back... and then stopped dead in my tracks. He had stopped dancing and was standing with one foot in the street, perfectly parallel to me. He was facing me but still looking skyward. Smile still wide on his lips.

I was completely and utterly unnerved by this. I started walking again, but kept my eyes on the man. He didn't move.

Once I had put about half a block between us, I turned away from him for a moment to watch the sidewalk in front of me. The street and sidewalk ahead of me were completely empty. Still unnerved, I looked back to where he had been standing to find him gone. For the briefest of moments I felt relieved, until I noticed him. He had crossed the street, and was now slightly crouched down. I couldn't tell for sure due to the distance and the shadows, but I was certain he was facing me. I had looked away from him for no more than 10 seconds, so it was clear that he had moved fast.

I was so shocked that I stood there for some time, staring at him. And then he started moving toward me again. He took giant, exaggerated tip toed steps, as if he were a cartoon character sneaking up on someone. Except he was moving very, very quickly.

I'd like to say at this point I ran away or pulled out my pepper spray or my cellphone or anything at all, but I didn't. I just stood there, completely frozen as the smiling man crept toward me.

And then he stopped again, about a car length away from me. Still smiling his smile, still looking to the sky.

When I finally found my voice, I blurted out the first thing that came to mind. What I meant to ask was, "What the fuck do you want?!" in an angry, commanding tone. What came out was a whimper, "What the fuu…?"

Regardless of whether or not humans can smell fear, they can certainly hear it. I heard it in my own voice, and that only made me more afraid. But he didn't react to it at all. He just stood there, smiling.

And then, after what felt like forever, he turned around, very slowly, and started dance-walking away. Just like that. Not wanting to turn my back to him again, I just watched him go, until he was far enough away to almost be out of sight. And then I realized something. He wasn't moving away anymore, nor was he dancing. I watched in horror as the distant shape of him grew larger and larger. He was coming back my way. And this time he was running.

I ran too.

I ran until I was off of the side road and back onto a better lit road with sparse traffic. Looking behind me then, he was nowhere to be found. The rest of the way home, I kept glancing over my shoulder, always expecting to see his stupid smile, but he was never there.

I lived in that city for six months after that night, and I never went out for another walk. There was something about his face that always haunted me. He didn't look drunk, he didn't look high. He looked completely and utterly insane. And that's a very, very scary thing to see.

Spoiler:
In the mid-80s, my mum was a cleaner in Australia. She would do clean houses in suburban areas and would sometimes do houses in rural/wine regions (we lived near both).

She would leave business cards at the local shops and got most of her business this way, and some through referrals and word of mouth.

One day she got a call from a lady who sounded like she was around 60, asking mum to clean her old farmhouse. She made a lot of odd demands and mum would usually meet clients before taking on new business. In this case, the lady did not want to meet mum and said she would leave the keys under the front doormat. Mum agreed mainly because the lady was quite obviously wealthy and was offering to pay mum substantially more than she would reasonably expect.

Mum went to the house on a Monday morning and said she already felt unnerved by the long driveway. The house was essentially in the middle of a very large, and very empty property. She found the keys and started cleaning.

About an hour in to the clean, she hears the back door shut. Mum was told no one would be at the house so she immediately felt unsafe. She stood frozen in the kitchen for what she said felt like 3-4 minutes although she said it could have been much longer. There was no other car on the property.

She wanted to leave immediately but had two rooms left to do, both were bedrooms. She said as time passed and she heard nothing else, she decided that perhaps it was nothing, or perhaps something had fallen and it wasn't the door after all.

She walked up the hallway and stepped into the bedroom. All over the bed were black and white photos. As mum got closer, she realised the photos were all of her. Some where taken at our family home, and many others were taken at other houses mum would clean. Some through windows or over fences.

She used the house phone to call the police and immediately drive to the end of the driveway. The lady ended up being investigated but continued to claim that it was a break-in. After some time, the police stopped with their searching and we ended up moving to a new town 4 months later.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Return to The Pub