It is currently: May 20, '24, 3:36 am

I think i've lost all my photo's

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

I think i've lost all my photo's

Postby Twister » Apr 25, '14, 4:13 am

And i'm really pissed off at myself as it could have been easily prevented, so I need a rant :banghead

My iPhone had an update so I did it last night before I went to bed, thinking when I wake up in the morning it will be done and ready to go. Woke up this morning and it was telling me I needed to plug it into the computer, thought it was just part of the update so I did. Only to be told that it's gone into recovery mode and needs to be restored to factory settings and that basically the phone will be wiped.

I'm so upset, I usually back up all my photo's and videos on an external hard drive but for the past few months I've been really lazy about it. Fucking kicking myself now aren't I. All the photo's from my daughters first birthday and Christmas are on that phone, as well as other milestones like her learning to walk. I've tried to access iCloud to see if everything' backed up on there but It won't even let me log in so i'm guessing I never activated it. I'm such an idiot. I wish i'd never bothered with the stupid update. I have a few photo's on Facebook but I also had a lot of photo's and video's which I didn't upload onto there.

I could easily turn around and blame Apple for this but the reality is it's my own fault, I should have been backing up my shit. I'm going to try and take it to an Apple store this weekend to see if they can do anything but I seriously doubt they'll be able to help. This is rubbish :crybaby

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 56

Re: I think i've lost all my photo's

Postby Chewy » Apr 25, '14, 5:25 am

Don't lose hope, they might be able to get the stuff back.

Here's hoping mate.

If not then I guess this is good to atom to make some more photos with the little one.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby Twister » Apr 25, '14, 5:49 am

Thanks, I am dreading telling my other half. He will be really upset as we used my phone to take photo's more than his as it has a better camera, I can't even ring him because my phone is stuck in recovery mode and I daren't restore factory settings unless there is the slightest chance everything can be recovered :facepalm

Luckily I found the photo's from my little ones first birthday on the laptop, but nothing else. Sigh.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Apr 25, '14, 8:20 am

Yeah, there's still a chance they can get it all back, so hopefully they're not completely lost yet!

Advice for the future: download Dropbox on your computer, as well as the Dropbox app for your phone. I have it set up on my phone so that every time I take a picture, it gets uploaded to my dropbox, which syncs with my computer so I instantly have it backed up on my computer as well. Extremely useful.

https://db.tt/av3eKsjm

^^^ Click that link to download. It'll also give me more space for referring you that way :P

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Twister » Apr 25, '14, 8:44 am

Thank you Tim! I will do that once my phone is sorted out, by clicking the link you provided of course.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Westcoastvibes » Apr 25, '14, 9:37 am

Take it to the apple store and see if they can get them, also, I don't know how iPhone works but shouldn't you be able to remove the SD card (if you have one, and hopeimg you have it set up this way) and recover the pics from that?

I know on my android all my pics get automatically saved to the SD card so if the phone takes a shit then everything is on the SD card

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Twister » Apr 25, '14, 11:18 am

Iphone's have built in memory, kinda stupid when you think about it, especially when stuff like this happens.

Been doing some googling and found this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2612166/Angry-iPhone-users-complain-Apples-latest-update-causes-devices-crash-data-wiped.html

Looks like Apple screwed up, the annoying thing is that it was only a minor update. I've potentially lost all my photo's over a minor update where the difference before and after probably won't even be noticeable. Figures...

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 25, '14, 2:02 pm

Bummer.

Probably doesn't help but glad I don't have an Iphone all the updates that you'd have to do it would make me mad.

Well, as infuriating as it is, hopefully you can create new memories with your daughter (and back them up ;)).

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby HardcoreLegend » Apr 25, '14, 5:02 pm

Here's one for you... My laptop died recently which was what I backed my stuff up on, photos, music, documents, etc. I think it may just be a battery issue, but I'm too chicken to take it to the shop to find out.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby Twister » Apr 26, '14, 2:50 am

HardcoreLegend wrote:Here's one for you... My laptop died recently which was what I backed my stuff up on, photos, music, documents, etc. I think it may just be a battery issue, but I'm too chicken to take it to the shop to find out.

Eeek! That's one of the reasons I got an external hard drive, I hope you can salvage your stuff too.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Twister » Apr 26, '14, 2:28 pm

Well my stuff can't be salvaged, went to the Apple store and they said there was nothing they can do. Sucks but at least I can get a few of the photo's off FB, so not all is lost.

Afterwards I went to the phone shop and got my phone upgraded as it was long overdue so I guess today wasn't so bad.

:kane

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Return to The Pub