It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 9:48 am

Which war do you find most interesting?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Which war do you find most interesting?

Postby Matteo » Oct 19, '13, 2:26 am

The Cold War would be my answer, but technically there was no direct combat between the two superpowers. I really find World War II interesting, namely because of Hitler's regime, Italy being a fascist state and also the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. I also find Poland's role in the war very interesting too - it's amazing how much they endured.

But I think my answer would be Vietnam. It had a real nightmarish feel to it, primarily because of the environmental surroundings which the soldiers were forced to fight in. Some really interesting strategic elements, too.

How about you?

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 195

Re: Which war do you find most interesting?

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 19, '13, 6:56 am

NoDQ wrote:The Cold War would be my answer, but technically there was no direct combat between the two superpowers. I really find World War II interesting, namely because of Hitler's regime, Italy being a fascist state and also the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. I also find Poland's role in the war very interesting too - it's amazing how much they endured.

But I think my answer would be Vietnam. It had a real nightmarish feel to it, primarily because of the environmental surroundings which the soldiers were forced to fight in. Some really interesting strategic elements, too.

How about you?

I find that the cold war wasn't really a cold war. We fought In Korea and Vietnam. We used proxies but it is stills ort of hard to claim we were never engaged.

My favorite war to study is the American Civil War. So many neat facts come out of it especially since it was so easy to document since both sides resided in the same country and both spoke the same language.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby PorkChop » Oct 19, '13, 7:08 am

World War II and the war in Iraq, and the events that led up to it.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 19, '13, 11:51 am

The war or should I say wars, I find interesting is the previous and sometimes, covert on-going battles between India and Pakistan. With my family orginating from the latter, and there being three wars before with another one averted in 1999, it's a relationship I keep a huge interest in.

Other than that, a war that I'd like to read up more about is the Iran-Iraq war in the 80s which ran for several years.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Settee » Oct 19, '13, 12:09 pm

World War 2, my grandpa was in one of the first waves on D-Day. Always found WWII really interesting plus having a grandpa who survived the war made it that much more intriguing.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby Westcoastvibes » Oct 19, '13, 2:16 pm

The american "war on drugs"
It amazing the amount of resources we spend on tracking, locating, deterring and prosecuting individuals and groups connected with supplying illegal drugs yet there seems to be no visible effect from it

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Matteo » Oct 20, '13, 5:00 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:The war or should I say wars, I find interesting is the previous and sometimes, covert on-going battles between India and Pakistan. With my family orginating from the latter, and there being three wars before with another one averted in 1999, it's a relationship I keep a huge interest in.

Other than that, a war that I'd like to read up more about is the Iran-Iraq war in the 80s which ran for several years.

Yeah, I got a mate who was originally from Pakistan whose family had to fled because of the extremism and ongoing conflict.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 20, '13, 6:37 pm

NoDQ wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:The war or should I say wars, I find interesting is the previous and sometimes, covert on-going battles between India and Pakistan. With my family orginating from the latter, and there being three wars before with another one averted in 1999, it's a relationship I keep a huge interest in.

Yeah, I got a mate who was originally from Pakistan whose family had to fled because of the extremism and ongoing conflict.

Yeah, the on-going conflict and troubles have been continuing and dissecting since 2001 and an end, sadly, doesn't seem soon.

But besides all the negativity, it is a country that has potential in terms of beauty, mineral wealth, its history but even all those are being eroded due to government negligence.

Did your mate emigrate recently or a while back?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Matteo » Oct 21, '13, 6:38 pm

^ Yeah, I can't see a resolution in the conflict, either. Much similar to Israel/Palestine.

He's been in Australia for a while, actually, but yeah, they were fortunate enough to have enough money to migrate to Australia which is generally a very expensive place to live.

I really feel for those that want to leave, but can't.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author

Postby rawisjericho » Oct 21, '13, 7:21 pm

WW II. I know more about it than any other war, my dad being a big history buff,and hearing stories throughout the years from relatives who had served, and talking to veterans at the American Legion and VFW halls.

rawisjericho None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 7

Postby Fatman » Oct 22, '13, 12:37 am

I'd go with the American Civil War. When I studied it in high school, I found it completely uninteresting: "Lincoln is Superman and the South was all a bunch slave-owning plantation farmers." The war really started to come to life for me in college after I began reading journals and letters from the time period. These original writings are for the most part, brilliant, and really showcase a lost art form at the top of its game.

While it's not particularly good for research and filled with bias, I'd really recommend Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative if you're at all interested in the period. He's a product of his time, but he's such a rich storyteller and there is no better book out there that shows the sheer size of the war. I'd also recommend Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, A Stillness at Appomattox, and Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era to fill in the gaps.

Fatman None specified
Gym Rat
Gym Rat

Topics: 2

Return to The Pub