It is currently: May 16, '24, 10:53 am

So yeah, i kinda feel proud...

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

So yeah, i kinda feel proud...

Postby Headlesspete » Oct 17, '13, 5:01 pm

A few weeks back, me and 3 house-mates i live with decided to take part in a half marathon (Cardiff). I thought it would be a cool thing for us all to take part in, and a great way to see if I'm actually in decent shape. I even got people to sponsor me for a charity.

Thing is, I'd say 90% of people i told i was doing this laughed in my face. I actually went to the front of my church to announce it as a way of getting sponsors, and everyone started laughing. It seemed no one would take ms seriously, and each one in turn would tell me how I'd never make it, and how I'd seriously hurt myself. Even my dad didn't take me seriously, he text me the day before with the basic message of "I hope they have night lights, because you'll still be going by night fall", and my best mate sponsored me a lot more money than most because he was sure i would't finish it. I mean, they may have seen it as the fact I'd never really done anything like this before, but still, it annoyed the heck of out me. Having hardly anyone believe in you can really get you down. Aside from my mom and a few others, no one gave me any credit.

So, the best way to use your annoyance? Transfer it into motivation! I didn't get a lot of training done, but I tried as much as i could to try and do "something" to get ready. I only had 3 weeks to get into it, and my first run went awful (I could't run past 2 miles, and felt pains in my chest). But i still kept at it, to the point where i could run 6.5 miles in an hour a few days before the half marathon.

And then, to the shock of nearly everyone, i finished the damn thing! And in just over 2 hours! (2 hours, 7 seconds to be exact!). And even more shocking, i NEVER stopped to walk! I kept up a pace of 9 minutes a mile and even beat two of my other flatmates!

Maybe your reading this and thinking "who gives a shit" or "whatever, I'e done better than that". But to me, its an achievement hardly anyone thought possible, and its really hammered home how much were capable of if we really try. I feel pretty awesome about it, and those phone calls to certain people afterwards to tell them was the icing on the cake.

So yeah, that's my story. Apologies if I've bored ya all to death,. just kinda wanted to share. :)

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: So yeah, i kinda feel proud...

Postby PorkChop » Oct 17, '13, 5:06 pm

Nicely done, Pete. I've got an Iron Man next year which is my big personal goal. Keep it up!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » Oct 17, '13, 5:10 pm

Way to go bud! You should feel proud. There are probably a bunch of people who couldn't do that, myself included.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby HardcoreLegend » Oct 17, '13, 5:37 pm

I was in a similar situation recently. I took part in the Great North Run and I had my doubters... To be honest though, I didn't help the situation by doing NO training whatsoever!! I'm not really a one for sports, so I wasn't really surprised by people's reactions when I told them I was doing it.

However I did it, raising a bit of money for charity and getting a time of 2hours 45mins. I can live with that time since I did no training and am not a sporty person. But yeah, the feeling when you cross the line is great, so much so that I want to do it again next year only this time with a little training behind me.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby Daz » Oct 17, '13, 5:40 pm

I can't run more than 3 miles without my knees wanting to pop and my lungs trting to eject themselves from my body, so it's certainly something to be proud of.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Oct 17, '13, 9:37 pm

That's awesome man! I'm completely awful at running, so I wouldn't even attempt a half marathon (let alone a full one, those people are nuts). Congratulations!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Oct 18, '13, 11:56 am

Good man, Pete. That's quite the achievement. I read this last night and my legs went asleep. :lol

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to The Pub