It is currently: Jun 03, '24, 2:14 pm

ASOIAF series(spoilers inside do not enter)

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: ASOIAF series(spoilers inside do not enter)

Postby SlightlyJames » May 21, '14, 6:46 am

Everlong wrote:
Chewy wrote:In any event I really enjoy the show itself, it just seems that reading the book for the most part turns people into fucktards. Present company excepted of course.

Yeah, you should avoid going on ASOIAF fan sites, people on those sites tend to be REALLY smarmy about the fact that they read the books before the show came out and they get ridiculously pissed when the show's trajectory even slightly deviates from the books. For the most part, I think the show has done an outstanding job of translating the books to the screen.

If you ever want spoilers, just ask :P

I read them after I watched the first season and didn't want to wait a year. I get quite pissy when there are changes that annoy me. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Everlong » Jun 02, '14, 7:51 am

So that episode last night.

Holy fuck, Oberyn's death was far more brutal than I ever imagined. And the screams...

I'm surprised they actually showed as much as they did. That was hard to watch.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » Jun 02, '14, 7:52 am

Oh and also, Sansa has quickly turned very hot. Like, wut.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 02, '14, 7:53 am

Everlong wrote:Oh and also, Sansa has quickly turned very hot. Like, wut.

I know right.

I was like, i'd destroy that shit right hurr.

That death tho. Oh man.... i'm really good with on screen violence and shit but this is the first one where i've been like, "i dont wanna see the any more"

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 02, '14, 7:58 am

I squealed when he caught him man, that was brutal.

CRUNCH

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 02, '14, 8:10 am

To tell you the truth though I'm starting to feel the same way I felt about the books when I got to about this point in the story.

Frustrated.

I'm tired of having characters get killed that have some potential to really contribute to the overall plot. Ned Stark dying was a great shock and it really set things in motion for the story and managed to hit home a message that this is a world where pride, honour and duty will get you killed. The Red Wedding reaffirmed that message even though I was annoyed at being tricked twice by buying into a character that was later slaughtered.

How many times can be "bad guys" get away with "winning" (I know what's coming up) and it still be interesting. I honestly believe Joffery dying was because the character had very few places to go. He could have been slowly turned into a redeeming character but after so much shit, that little bastard be redeemed? I still loved to hate him though and I was sad that he was gone.

Oberyn Martell offered some balance to what was happening in Kings Landing, especially since Jaime (up until very soon) remains relatively stationary and passive. Martell also tied in the Rebellion and the back story of how Robert won the throne which is also really interesting. Martell also introduced another big player into the story, that being House Martell who now are represented and headed up by a frustratingly passive and slow character in Doran.

In a time in the story where Dany is no where near Westeros, Stannis is, up until right now, no where to be seen and Tyrion is in captivity there needed to be that protagonist to the Lannister antagonist. House Martell along with the Houses of the Vale are potential threats to them but they seem less of a threat after having been so inactive (House of the Vale) or just having their "main guy" slaughtered, Oberyn Martell.

To me the "wins" in seeing the "antagonists" die like Joff aren't enough of a payoff to a lot of frustration of seeing a lot of characters fall short. That's the biggest flaw in GRRM's writing and I'm interested to see how he proceeds in the next book because honestly, it's more of the same until the end of Dance and i'm not all that enthused about the following few seasons after this one concludes.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 02, '14, 8:15 am

But Oberyn dying is what needs to happen for the uproar in Dorne and attempts at an uprising. Gregor still dies so it's hardly winning. The show definitely put a lot of work into making Oberyn as likable as possible until he got crunched.

Once Jon goes HAM at the wall there'll be some wins to get behind :tim

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Jun 02, '14, 8:19 am

Yeah, Oberyn dying is what brings all of the Martells back into the fray. It has to happen really, otherwise there's no reason for Dorne to give a fuck about what's happening in King's Landing. The rest of the Martells can rise up because of that.

Tyrion takes out Shae and Tywin before leaving, which is also huge. Cersei in AFFC gets her shit handed to her and by the end of ADWD is presumably on her last legs. The Mannis arrives at the wall on the next episode to help kick ass.

The good guys are only just getting started.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby prophet » Jun 02, '14, 4:30 pm

Without question the most horribly painful and uncomfortable viewing ever. The fact I feel so taken back and sort of...hollow after watching that despite knowing it was coming speaks volumes for how fucking powerful that climax was...fucking brutal.

Jorah's banishing too, such a sad episode. :( :( :(

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby Everlong » Jun 02, '14, 4:41 pm

Ugh, the show is making me hate Dany even more than I did in the books.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby prophet » Jun 02, '14, 4:48 pm

Everlong wrote:Ugh, the show is making me hate Dany even more than I did in the books.

Same. Jorah is one of my favourite character in the show, fuck Dany.

WHEN WILL I GET TO SEE JUSTICE PLAYED OUT ON SCREEN?!

How do you guys rank this episode for the season? One of the best? Lot of shit happened.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 02, '14, 11:17 pm

Iain Glen kills it as Jorah, felt pretty sad to see him go. They left out two of the big reasons he got booted out in the show, the kiss with Dany that she wasn't very happy with and him saying that she "had to" forgive him when given a chance to explain.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Jun 03, '14, 5:38 am

I've never liked that Dany banishes Jorah. Sure he spied on her in the beginning (riiiiight at the beginning) but he stopped doing that ages ago back when Drogo was still alive, he also stopped her from being assassinated and has advised her loyally since. He stood by her side when nobody else would and didn't deserve to be banished for something he'd done that long ago.

Fuck Dany!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Jun 03, '14, 1:35 pm

SortaCreative wrote:To tell you the truth though I'm starting to feel the same way I felt about the books when I got to about this point in the story.

Frustrated.

I'm tired of having characters get killed that have some potential to really contribute to the overall plot. Ned Stark dying was a great shock and it really set things in motion for the story and managed to hit home a message that this is a world where pride, honour and duty will get you killed. The Red Wedding reaffirmed that message even though I was annoyed at being tricked twice by buying into a character that was later slaughtered.

How many times can be "bad guys" get away with "winning" (I know what's coming up) and it still be interesting. I honestly believe Joffery dying was because the character had very few places to go. He could have been slowly turned into a redeeming character but after so much shit, that little bastard be redeemed? I still loved to hate him though and I was sad that he was gone.

Oberyn Martell offered some balance to what was happening in Kings Landing, especially since Jaime (up until very soon) remains relatively stationary and passive. Martell also tied in the Rebellion and the back story of how Robert won the throne which is also really interesting. Martell also introduced another big player into the story, that being House Martell who now are represented and headed up by a frustratingly passive and slow character in Doran.

In a time in the story where Dany is no where near Westeros, Stannis is, up until right now, no where to be seen and Tyrion is in captivity there needed to be that protagonist to the Lannister antagonist. House Martell along with the Houses of the Vale are potential threats to them but they seem less of a threat after having been so inactive (House of the Vale) or just having their "main guy" slaughtered, Oberyn Martell.

To me the "wins" in seeing the "antagonists" die like Joff aren't enough of a payoff to a lot of frustration of seeing a lot of characters fall short. That's the biggest flaw in GRRM's writing and I'm interested to see how he proceeds in the next book because honestly, it's more of the same until the end of Dance and i'm not all that enthused about the following few seasons after this one concludes.

I agree with this. I have similar problems with Martin's writing. I think his intentions have been good - to create a series of fantasy novels where the good guys don't always win and that therefore feels more realistic and less contrived. But unfortunately, he's gone too far in the other direction. At this point, all the horrible shit in his world is starting to feel contrived.

If something can go right, it will inevitably go wrong. Good characters will die. People who could change things for the better will be prevented from doing so - often not by their opposition but by some random third party. The story remains unpredictable because of how large the world is and how many left turns he takes in his writing, but certain things remain utterly predictable as you progress through the story. If he sets up something nice or positive, you know it won't actually come to pass.

For example, whenever it looks like some of the Starks might be reunited, you're just waiting for something to go wrong because you know it will. No matter how likely it seems that the characters will be reunited it's just too typical of Martin's writing to throw a spanner in the works.

Plus, it really does help to have characters you can root for in stories like this, but Martin either kills off these characters (Ned, Robb), turns them into someone completely new (Catelyn, Arya), or makes them utterly pathetic and hard to care about (Tyrion when he goes East). I guess there's Dany, but I think the world unanimously thinks she's a pretty shit character.

Sometimes the world feels so absurdly dark that you wonder why everyone hasn't killed themselves already, because how could you live somewhere that fucking bleak. Oberyn's death was something that brought this home for me in the novels, because Martin couldn't even let someone cleanly defeat the Mountain in an act of well warranted revenge. The Mountain isn't a political player or key figure. He's barely a character. Someone should have been allowed to take the fucker down - I need little moments like that to keep me invested. I know he dies afterwards, but it's not the same. Plus, I'm convinced he's coming back as Cersei's fucking champion in the next book.

I love the intrigue of Game of Thrones and the politicking and the drama. Even the deaths and imprisonments, etc. But it just feels too sad sometimes. And I think Martin thinks that sad shit happening to the villains makes up for all the sad shit that happens to the heroes, but it doesn't really work that way. He should just throw the odd happy moment into the story. The odd glimmer of hope. Otherwise the audience will have no reason to care when the white walkers invade and kill everyone in all of Westeros.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jun 03, '14, 1:43 pm

^I think I'd agree with this a lot more if the series comes to an end and it never really looks up. But as of the end of book five, all of the momentum is on the side of the good guys and there is still 2-3 books left (a huge chunk of the series). This series is a marathon, not a sprint, and we don't know what the whole picture looks like at this point so it's impossible for me to be overly critical of the choices he's made so far.

Plus, even if you don't like Tyrion's story arc at this point, we've still got Jon starting to be a badass (and he's totally not dead) and Jaime in King's Landing, and I refuse to believe that Tyrion is out of things yet. Plus, the return of motherfucking Varys! And it may seem crazy, but throughout book 4 I became really intrigued with the Sansa/Littlefinger story.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Hanley! » Jun 03, '14, 2:39 pm

Everlong wrote:^I think I'd agree with this a lot more if the series comes to an end and it never really looks up. But as of the end of book five, all of the momentum is on the side of the good guys and there is still 2-3 books left (a huge chunk of the series). This series is a marathon, not a sprint, and we don't know what the whole picture looks like at this point so it's impossible for me to be overly critical of the choices he's made so far.

Plus, even if you don't like Tyrion's story arc at this point, we've still got Jon starting to be a badass (and he's totally not dead) and Jaime in King's Landing, and I refuse to believe that Tyrion is out of things yet. Plus, the return of motherfucking Varys! And it may seem crazy, but throughout book 4 I became really intrigued with the Sansa/Littlefinger story.

Varys & Littlefinger aren't exactly the good guys though! :P Plus Stannis & Dany are both too self serving for me to think of them as properly heroic.

There is still scope for a happy ending, but I don't think the ending can completely justify the middle of the story. I still find a lot of the misery a bit contrived. It's like he's just writing things as sadly as he possibly can and thinks happiness can only be measured in other people's misery.

There are still things I'm looking forward to going forward, but I find there's less of them these days and I'm not making as much of an emotional connection to the characters. Case in point is Arya: someone who has been fucked over consistently for the entire series and rather than getting her moment of happiness, it looks like she's just going to turn into someone else to protect herself from further suffering.

I am still interested in the political situation in King's Landing, particularly the church becoming more involved. I'm hoping for a Jon Snow/Bolton show down given that Jon finally stopped being so damn boring in the last book. I really want to see more of what Littlefinger is planning, and Varys always makes things better. And I like that a Targaryen with a superior claim to Dany has surfaced because he couldn't possibly be less interesting than her. So the next book could still be really good, but I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as I was before Dance with Dragons.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby prophet » Jun 04, '14, 8:51 am

The Mountain deadlifting 994lbs - impressive. Not happy with the recast though, it seems like they opted for a generic huge dude with muscles rather than someone utterly terrifying and menacing like the character was made out to be.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Jun 04, '14, 9:03 am

^I'm pretty sure that in a medieval environment like GoT, this guy would be the most terrifying person in their entire world :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 09, '14, 6:14 am

That episode was fucking incredible. I was so hyped the entire battle and I'm glad they gave it the entire episode to play out, some really great moments, Ser Allister showing he's not just a dick but a pretty great fighter as well, Grenn reciting the words as the giant came at him and they held the gate, when Sam let Ghost loose and he tore a dude's fucking throat out, not to mention THE SCYTHE!

The giants and the mammoths looked pretty badass too, how about that scene where a brother on the wall got caught by a giant's arrow and falls down on the other side? Pretty cool. I like how they showed how woeful Janos Slynt was in command, then he slunk off to hide with Gilly so Jon could be the man of the hour. It was pretty clear that Olly was going to be the one to kill Ygritte after the amount of screen time he got, the scene was good though, that smile Jon gave beforehand :(

And it ends with Jon going out to meet Mance! Ending it there was so unfair, next week is going to be stacked! The arrival of the Mannis, Tywin taking a shit (on fathers day btw), the dragons getting locked up and STONEHEART! A week is too long to wait.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Jun 09, '14, 7:09 am

Everlong wrote:^I'm pretty sure that in a medieval environment like GoT, this guy would be the most terrifying person in their entire world :lol

He'd be pretty scary alright. My main problem with the casting is that the Hound's older brother is being played by someone young enough to be his son.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub