It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 5:08 pm

How do you feel about circumcision at birth?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

How do you feel about circumcision at birth?

Postby PorkChop » Apr 16, '16, 8:54 am

A bit of a different topic to what we usually have on here, but it's one which I've seen crop up a few times lately.

In the UK, female genital mutilation has been receiving quite a bit of press coverage in recent times. There's been several campaigns to bring awareness to the issue and support those who have been affected. In response to this campaign, the argument about circumcising newborns has been raised which some people feel is also a form of genital mutilation, yet it finds itself much more common and socially accepted.

How do you feel about it? I think that it shouldn't be done, especially not at birth - I think circumcisions should only be done for medical reasons, or if the boy is old enough (18+) to make up his own mind about his body. I feel that to circumcise a newborn, when no medical issues are present and consent can't be given, is wrong.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: How do you feel about circumcision at birth?

Postby Hanley! » Apr 16, '16, 9:12 am

There are certain medical issues that might not be noticeable at that age, but will crop up in later years. Some families can be genetically pre-disposed to some of these issues. So in cases like that, I'm not opposed to the idea of circumcision in the early weeks of a child's life. Parents would likely just be saving him from significant pain and discomfort later on in life.

Outside of a situation such as this though, I don't particularly see a need for it. I certainly don't think it should be mandatory or anything. But at the same time, I wouldn't have any problem with parents who decided to get their child circumcised just in case either. It really is a judgment call.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Apr 17, '16, 3:52 am

The only person who decides that a piece of skin is being chopped of my penis is me.

And it ain't happening.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Apr 17, '16, 4:39 am

I've always been surprised how much this argument appears. Never understood why it was such a big deal, it is just a bit of skin. I wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of mine as doesn't get in the way or anything but I doubt I'd mourn it if I woke up one day and it wasn't there. I'd be surprised don't get me wrong, it's bound to be noticeable sooner rather than later but that wouldn't really be an issue if it was never there.

Obviously best case scenario in either event is you're happy with the current state of your penis, or you're at least not particularly bothered. Worst case scenario you find yourself feeling like the skin is greener on the other cock. If you've a turtleneck and you want shot of it, you can make that a reality, though I would imagine a significantly uncomfortable few weeks would follow in the event of a surgical solution.

I suppose the difference lies in that unless there's some sort of extraordinary contingency plan in place you can't reattach that shit, you'll never know the warm embrace of a slightly longer skin tube on your wee man. There may be some sort of prosthetic solution though one would have to assume that it would fall short of the genuine article.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Viazon » Apr 17, '16, 6:19 am

While on the subject of circumcision, I remember a video I watched on Youtube once about a bunch of girls reacting to dick pics. We never saw the dick pics, but judging by their reactions, it was clear they came across one that wasn't circumcised. They all seem perplexed by it. Like it was unusual. These were American girls. Is circumcision really so common in the States that girls would think it's weird seeing one that isn't?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Circled Square » Apr 17, '16, 7:30 am

I don't get it lol if I can cut my son's dick skin off why can't I get him a tattoo or something

I don't like it and I'm glad I didn't have it done to me. American cutlets are sensitive about it for some reason.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Everlong » Apr 17, '16, 8:15 am

SlightlyJames wrote:I've always been surprised how much this argument appears. Never understood why it was such a big deal, it is just a bit of skin.

Yea same, I really couldn't care much less.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Chewy » Apr 22, '16, 3:42 am

No.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Twister » Apr 22, '16, 2:11 pm

I feel the same, I don't think it's okay to put a baby through unnecessary pain and discomfort without genuine medical reason. If there's a medical issue, or a man wants it done later on when they're old enough to make an informed decision then fine. But I don't feel it's a parents right to remove/alter parts of their child's' body based on their own beliefs/feelings/vanity reasons etc.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Daz » Apr 22, '16, 6:43 pm

I care more about parents piercing their baby's ears.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby UTK » Apr 22, '16, 7:58 pm

Twister wrote:I feel the same, I don't think it's okay to put a baby through unnecessary pain and discomfort without genuine medical reason.

Oh please. I promise you I have no memory of, or trauma from, when I was circumcised.

I don't see the big deal. Makes it easier to keep clean, makes the person less susceptible to STDs. People make a case for the sex being better if you're uncircumcised but they actually just started a study on that and it turns out it doesn't. So what's the fuss?

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Circled Square » Apr 22, '16, 8:08 pm

UTK wrote:
Twister wrote:I feel the same, I don't think it's okay to put a baby through unnecessary pain and discomfort without genuine medical reason.

Oh please. I promise you I have no memory of, or trauma from, when I was circumcised.

I don't see the big deal. Makes it easier to keep clean, makes the person less susceptible to STDs. People make a case for the sex being better if you're uncircumcised but they actually just started a study on that and it turns out it doesn't. So what's the fuss?

If I chopped off your leg when you were a baby you would have no memory of it either.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Everlong » Apr 23, '16, 7:55 am

Circled Square wrote:
UTK wrote:

If I chopped off your leg when you were a baby you would have no memory of it either.

Lol I think a missing limb vs. a little bit of missing skin is a drastic difference.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Twister » Apr 23, '16, 1:52 pm

UTK wrote:

Baby girls don't remember having their genitals mutilated either, that doesn't make it okay though does it?

I'm not a man but I live with one and as far as I can tell cleanliness isn't an issue provided you maintain a basic standard of personal hygiene. There is evidence that circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV in males and they encourage it in African countries where the rates of HIV are high but generally in countries where rates are lower and condoms are readily available it's not a necessity. If you as a grown man are happy with your junk then that's great but I believe in body autonomy unless there's a medical need and circumcision is something that should be up to the individual to make an informed decision. It's not really the done thing in the UK so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby UTK » Apr 24, '16, 11:27 am

FGM can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, as well as complications in childbirth and increased risk of newborn deaths. Male circumcision can cause having less skin on my dick. There's no comparison there.

I get that it's a matter of principle, but growing up circumcised around dudes who have been circumcised, it just isn't a big deal to me.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Apr 24, '16, 2:20 pm

My point was that just because babies don't remember pain or trauma from having parts of their body removed or altered, doesn't mean it's okay for people to take it upon themselves to carry out such practices (ear piercing is another one and possibly would have been a better comparison than FGM) because of what they want or believe, what about what the child might want further down the line when they're old enough to make decisions like that about their own body? Whilst I can accept that circumcision can have benefits, the foreskin isn't a useless part of the body and it does serve a purpose so to me it doesn't seem right to remove part of the body that is there for a reason.

But I can understand how if it's all you've ever known and it's common practice where you live then naturally it's not a huge issue to you and I respect that. Round here it's very uncommon and not seen as a necessity unless there's a medical issue, I think views on this subject can vary a lot depending on where you're from and whether it's the norm where you live.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Apr 24, '16, 2:24 pm

Yeah, I'm with based Twister. If it isn't a part of your culture it was sounds weird as fuck. It's cutting off dick skin, and it's not like everyone around them with foreskins are having huge medical issues lol. You can see why people in communities that don't have circumcision would think it's genital mutilation.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Chewy » Apr 25, '16, 12:11 am

UTK wrote:

There is no scientific correlation between circumcision and cleanliness or ability to contract STDs. The only benefit might be you have no chance of skin cancer on your foreskin, but that's like rejoicing that you can't get athletes foot because your leg was cut off.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Apr 25, '16, 6:56 am

I don't see what the big deal is. The baby won't remember it when they get older, it's perfectly fine. Just get it done.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Apr 25, '16, 8:06 am

The Legend wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. The baby won't remember it when they get older, it's perfectly fine. Just get it done.

Just because they won't remember it doesn't make it okay, though. Newborns won't remember anything for the first couple of years of their life, but that doesn't make it free game to do whatever you want to them.

Cutting a part of a baby's penis off for no good reason other than "just get it done" is bizarre.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Next

Return to The Pub