It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 1:18 pm

Why is Cam Newton allowed to be head hunted?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Why is Cam Newton allowed to be head hunted?

Postby Messiah » Sep 09, '16, 6:45 am

Not a single fucking one of those hits were called. I don't understand it. That Marshall hit especially pissed me off. That was the most blatant targeting I have seen in a long time. Newton had long thrown the ball and dude just launched into his dome, wasn't called.

This has been a long-time issue where referees just let teams beat the shit out of Newton after the whistle (there was another play not shown in the gif that happened at the start where 3 defenders drilled Newton long after he threw it). This isn't with Newton as a runner but as a quarterback. Whatever, we lost the game, cool. I'm just really annoyed nobody is doing anything about this. Newton clearly had a concussion or two.

6 fucking illegal hits to his head and only 1 of them called, that being just an offsetting penalty.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Why is Cam Newton allowed to be head hunted?

Postby DBSoT » Sep 09, '16, 8:22 am

When asked in the press conference, Newton stated he doesn't remember the end of the game. Solid work there, Goodell, you piece of shit.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby EmperorWu » Sep 09, '16, 3:50 pm

I hate Newton and even I can admit that was complete bullshit. Seeing him laying there on the ground is very upsetting, the guy looks fucking dead. The most infuriating part is there will be no punishment for anyone. :angry4

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Everlong » Sep 10, '16, 11:22 pm

I think there's at least enough gray area with these hits where I wouldn't accuse Denver of headhunting. However it IS absurd that those hits weren't called.

But another question worth asking... why the FUCK did cam not get put through the concussion protocol? There's no reason he should have been on the field after that last hit, especially if he says he can't even remember the games final minutes.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Sep 11, '16, 9:58 am

Everlong wrote:But another question worth asking... why the FUCK did cam not get put through the concussion protocol? There's no reason he should have been on the field after that last hit, especially if he says he can't even remember the games final minutes.

A lot of this goes back to the fact that the NFL as hard as they try sometimes can't protect the players from themselves. Why wasn't Cam put through the concussion protocol, the short answer is Cam didn't go to the trainers and say he might need to be evaluated for a concussion. These guys still are paranoid about being viewed as soft or injury prone so they don't report it. the NFL tries to get better at identifying situations, but if the player is determined to hide it from the trainers it's hard to stop them.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby EmperorWu » Sep 11, '16, 9:45 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:But another question worth asking... why the FUCK did cam not get put through the concussion protocol? There's no reason he should have been on the field after that last hit, especially if he says he can't even remember the games final minutes.

A lot of this goes back to the fact that the NFL as hard as they try sometimes can't protect the players from themselves. Why wasn't Cam put through the concussion protocol, the short answer is Cam didn't go to the trainers and say he might need to be evaluated for a concussion. These guys still are paranoid about being viewed as soft or injury prone so they don't report it. the NFL tries to get better at identifying situations, but if the player is determined to hide it from the trainers it's hard to stop them.

There were a couple of hits there where it was obvious he should have been looked at. So they are partly responsible no matter what.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby The Legend » Sep 12, '16, 5:23 am

EmperorWu wrote:
The Legend wrote:

There were a couple of hits there where it was obvious he should have been looked at. So they are partly responsible no matter what.

Maybe so, but still the fact that people think the NFL should resort to spy doctors watching from boxes to spot potential concussions instead of a player saying hey I got my bell rung there and instead doing their best to mask symptoms and hide concussions it's an ass backwards system. You can't protect anyone in any endeavor from himself.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Oct 02, '16, 4:55 pm

Cam shouldn't have stopped running but...

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 02, '16, 5:03 pm

I doubt they would have called that for any running back in the league, which is exactly what Newton was in that situation.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Oct 02, '16, 5:06 pm

It isn't so much that I think it is illegal, more so that through 4 games, Cam has probably taken more helmet-to-helmet hits I've seen a single player take in a single season. He's going to need to sit for awhile.

Not sure why the defender launched though. I feel like there are better ways to stop someone than that. Defenders tackle so dumb.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Oct 02, '16, 5:06 pm

The Legend wrote:Maybe so, but still the fact that people think the NFL should resort to spy doctors watching from boxes to spot potential concussions instead of a player saying hey I got my bell rung there and instead doing their best to mask symptoms and hide concussions it's an ass backwards system. You can't protect anyone in any endeavor from himself.

In Rugby Union, if a player takes a knock to the head, he has to leave the field to take a Head Injury Assessment, and if he's okay he'll typically be able to come back on about ten minutes later. Sure, it means the team has to substitute someone else in for that period, but it seems a risk worth taking for the sake of the health of the players.

You can't really expect a player to make that decision. In the heat of the moment, when their adrenaline is pumping, they might not realise that anything is even wrong. And even if they think there might be something wrong, the pressure is going to be huge to stay and not let down your team. Especially in a physical sport like American Football, where shaking off your injuries is a big part of the game. Someone else should be taking that responsibility away from the players.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Re: Why is Cam Newton allowed to be head hunted? (UPDATE: Cam to speak to commish)

Postby Messiah » Oct 30, '16, 3:24 pm

Newton was once again illegally hit. This time, it was a direct shot to his knees in the pocket.

After the game, Cam said he plans on talking to the commissioner. He said he doesn't feel safe or protected and that it is taking the fun out of the game for him. He's legitimately pissed off and rightfully so.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 30, '16, 4:48 pm

I remember when football players were men and protecting themselves was their responsibility. Scared of getting hurt, just fall on the ground when somebody comes near you. All the rules don't have to protect offensive players so they make whatever plays that look tough, but have no fear of actually being allowed to be hit by the defensive player.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Oct 30, '16, 9:39 pm

^ The league dictates this response from Cam, though. They have said countless times that head injuries and protecting players is a major priority. If the NFL is making those claims and not following through, than what are the players supposed to think. Also, if I was getting hit as much as Cam, I would bitch too. Even for a QB, he has taken some pretty excessively nasty hits this season.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Messiah » Oct 30, '16, 11:06 pm

The Legend wrote:Scared of getting hurt, just fall on the ground when somebody comes near you.

We're not talking about Peyton Manning. We're talking about Cam Newton, and he absolutely has a right to be annoyed about plays where he has no chance of protecting himself.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 31, '16, 5:16 am

DBSoT wrote:^ The league dictates this response from Cam, though. They have said countless times that head injuries and protecting players is a major priority. If the NFL is making those claims and not following through, than what are the players supposed to think. Also, if I was getting hit as much as Cam, I would bitch too. Even for a QB, he has taken some pretty excessively nasty hits this season.

This hit has nothing to do with head injuries. Also, if Cam is worried about getting hit too much, he should study Tom Brady, learn how to get rid of the ball quickly and efficiently before the pass rush can get to you.

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:Scared of getting hurt, just fall on the ground when somebody comes near you.

We're not talking about Peyton Manning. We're talking about Cam Newton, and he absolutely has a right to be annoyed about plays where he has no chance of protecting himself.

We're talking about a football player, want to protect yourself, don't step into throws when people are around your feet, get rid of the ball before a defender comes at you. Late hits that come well after a QB has already gotten rid of the ball and therefore shouldn't be expected to be hit are the only hits that should be out of the game.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Oct 31, '16, 6:00 am

Not that it should matter, but Cam did get rid of that ball fast and Cam clearly didn't step into that throw. I have no idea what you're talking about. He had no way of protecting himself.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Oct 31, '16, 12:18 pm

The NFL said there have been 11 players with more missed roughing calls against them than Cam over the last three years.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Messiah » Oct 31, '16, 12:23 pm

Everlong wrote:The NFL said there have been 11 players with more missed roughing calls against them than Cam over the last three years.

I'm not sure how much I buy that, and it doesn't seem to account for unnecessary roughness which is separate.

Either way seems a big thing Cam is saying is outside of his health, he doesn't get why players are held accountable but referees aren't. Heavily implied that he feels there should be a fine system for them as well for blatantly missed calls.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 31, '16, 3:47 pm

Messiah wrote:
Everlong wrote:The NFL said there have been 11 players with more missed roughing calls against them than Cam over the last three years.

I'm not sure how much I buy that, and it doesn't seem to account for unnecessary roughness which is separate.

Either way seems a big thing Cam is saying is outside of his health, he doesn't get why players are held accountable but referees aren't. Heavily implied that he feels there should be a fine system for them as well for blatantly missed calls.

That fine system makes no sense. Players don't get fined for doing their job poorly. The NFL doesn't fine Cam every time he throws an interception. They don't fine a RB for fumbling or a defensive player for missing a tackle. They get fined for doing things that offend their employers' sensabilities. Don't like that, well find a new employer, but he'll likely have a set of rules you have to abide by too.

World Champion
World Champion

Next

Return to NFL