It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 8:50 am

Who wins AP Defensive Player of the Year?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Who wins AP Defensive Player of the Year?

Postby Messiah » Dec 08, '13, 11:29 am

For all the talk about MVPs and offensive standouts, there haven't been a lot of defensive standouts. Robert Quinn (a pass rushing beast), Muhammad Wilkerson (second to only JJ Watt at 3-4 DE), and JJ Watt (leads the NFL in TFLs) are playing great but are on bad football teams and Quinn's sack numbers aren't that eye popping. At least not enough to overcome the team he is on. Justin Houston was playing very nice defense too but he's currently injured.

Here are, IMO, the main candidates in no order.

S, Earl Thomas, Seattle Seahawks - With all due respect to Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas is the top player in the Legion of Boom. He has wicked range for a safety, plays the run exceptionally well, and covers ground in the pass game better than any other safety in the NFL. However, he is a DB and it takes a lot for that position to win this award. Plus he doesn't get much pub, either.

LB, Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers - Gets a bunch of publicity having already won DROY, 1 sack, 3 interceptions, 6 PDs, 8 TFLs, and is the star player on the best defense in the NFL.

OLB, Robert Mathis, Indianapolis Colts - Currently leads the NFL in sacks and has gotten a lot of pub recently. However, the Colts defense simply isn't all that good and nothing feels particularly special about his season, either.

OLB, Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs - With his injury, I doubt it. However, I think he was the front runner beforehand. Amazing pass rusher.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Who wins AP Defensive Player of the Year?

Postby Everlong » Dec 08, '13, 11:36 am

Yeah, I'd give it to Thomas or Kuechly at this point. Really splitting hairs between the two of them. I think Kuechly probably is the more important player to his defense, but both have been absolutely outstanding. It's actually criminal how little publicity Thomas gets in comparison to Sherman, who is overrated because of his boisterous nature.

A third candidate who you haven't listed is Deandre Levy (former Badger!!) who has been tearing it up with the Lions this year.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Messiah » Dec 17, '13, 5:27 pm

JJ Watt has more QB hits this year than anyone since 2006. Beast.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby Kyle » Dec 21, '13, 10:39 am

My top 3 would be Kuechly, Houston, and Mathis.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby HFX » Dec 21, '13, 11:48 am

My money is obviously on Earl Thomas though if Kuechly won it I wouldn't be upset. Carolina has a beast of a defense and he's a big reason why.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 22, '13, 10:16 am

My money is on Kuechly. I mean he has helped his team immensely this year. The Panthers went from a team who most people thought would finish third in their division they now have a good chance to win it. At the very least they will make the wildcard. (To miss out they would need to loose both of their next two and have Arizona win both of their next two.) He has played a huge factor in that.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby motionmann » Dec 24, '13, 12:00 am

I'm pretty positive Kuechly and Sherman separated themselves yesterday as the top two candidates. Which now can go either way. Both had BEASTS of games.

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby The Legend » Dec 24, '13, 5:24 am

To me for publicity purposes it will come down to the leader on the Chiefs, Seahawks or Panthers because those defenses have been pushed as the best. I'll put my money on Kuechly or Sherman depending on which one will win their respective division or both.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to NFL