It is currently: May 23, '24, 4:34 am

The Titans have traded the top pick to the Rams

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

The Titans have traded the top pick to the Rams

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '16, 7:14 am

Wow, big (and somewhat surprising) move!

This has to mean the Rams are going with a QB, right?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: The Titans have traded the top pick to the Rams

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '16, 7:14 am

The Titans have agreed to trade the No.1 pick of the draft to the Los Angeles Rams for the 15th overall pick in this year’s draft, two second-round picks (43 and 45), and a third-rounder (76) in 2016. The Titans will also receive the Rams’ first-round pick in 2017, along with their third-round pick in next year’s draft.

In addition to Tennessee’s No.1 pick this year, the Rams will also receive a fourth-round pick (113) and sixth-round pick (177) in 2016.

As a result of the trade, the Titans now have six picks in the top 76 in this year’s draft – 15, 33, 43, 45, 64 and 76. The Titans already held picks 33 and 64.

Wowza! Great deal for the Titans.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 7:16 am

RAT BASTARDS!!!!! Goddammit, and now I'm pretty sure that they'll take Jared Goff, which was the guy I wanted all along.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Apr 14, '16, 7:27 am

The Legend wrote:RAT BASTARDS!!!!! Goddammit, and now I'm pretty sure that they'll take Jared Goff, which was the guy I wanted all along.
I actually thought this would make you happy. This may take Wentz out of play for the Browns. If all reports are to be believed, then Wentz was likely going first.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 7:45 am

DBSoT wrote:
The Legend wrote:RAT BASTARDS!!!!! Goddammit, and now I'm pretty sure that they'll take Jared Goff, which was the guy I wanted all along.
I actually thought this would make you happy. This may take Wentz out of play for the Browns. If all reports are to be believed, then Wentz was likely going first.

I never really believed these reports and it all adds up to easily. The Rams move to LA, they need a star that southern California can relate to, Goff is a SoCal kid, Wentz is from Fargo. Plus, Goff is just so much more talented and more accomplished that I don't believe when it comes time to make the pick that an NFL team would choose Wentz over Goff.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Apr 14, '16, 7:52 am

The Legend wrote:
DBSoT wrote:

I never really believed these reports and it all adds up to easily. The Rams move to LA, they need a star that southern California can relate to, Goff is a SoCal kid, Wentz is from Fargo. Plus, Goff is just so much more talented and more accomplished that I don't believe when it comes time to make the pick that an NFL team would choose Wentz over Goff.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -top-pick/ I am sorry, you were saying?

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 8:12 am

DBSoT wrote:
The Legend wrote:
DBSoT wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -top-pick/ I am sorry, you were saying?

I was saying this is NFL draft lying season. Anything leaked by teams over the next two weeks, expect the exact opposite to happen. Particularly to ProFootballTalk

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Apr 14, '16, 8:27 am

The Legend wrote:
DBSoT wrote:
The Legend wrote:
DBSoT wrote:

I was saying this is NFL draft lying season. Anything leaked by teams over the next two weeks, expect the exact opposite to happen. Particularly to ProFootballTalk
For most teams, lying makes sense, but what is the benefit for the Rams. No one can steal their pick and they didn't trade up for anyone else besides Wentz or Goff. I know it is difficult to believe that the best QB in the draft played at the FCS level, but that has more to do with college coaches missing on him, then it does with his actual talent. He also hit a growth spurt in college so I imagine that helped.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Messiah » Apr 14, '16, 9:33 am

People overstate how much smokescreens happens. Leaks absolutely occur.

Personally, I'd rather have Wentz than Goff. Not a big Goff fan, especially on a team where he will be expected to elevate the players around him.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 9:45 am

DBSoT wrote:For most teams, lying makes sense, but what is the benefit for the Rams. No one can steal their pick and they didn't trade up for anyone else besides Wentz or Goff. I know it is difficult to believe that the best QB in the draft played at the FCS level, but that has more to do with college coaches missing on him, then it does with his actual talent. He also hit a growth spurt in college so I imagine that helped.

I don't have trouble believing it could happen, I disagree strongly that it happened in this case. Wentz was a product of a football factory that is so far superior to all other teams at that level that it won National Championships before him and will win national championships without him.

Just remember Wentz was actually hurt for the eight games before the national championship game and NDSU had to play a freshman quarterback in both regular season and playoff football games. NDSU actually SCORED MORE and had a BETTER offense under the freshman than they did with Wentz under center.

Goff on the other hand, inherited a 3-9 football team the year before his freshman season. After a 1--1 year as a freshman he had his team at 5-7 his sophomore year and 8-5 his junior year. Goff led CAL to a bowl win! Wentz is just another in the line of players that wins national championships at NDSU all the time.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 9:50 am

Also remember, when they stopped playing games in January, Goff was the clear cut choice as the #1 QB. It's only during underwear model season that Wentz has climbed the charts. Be very weary of a guy that only lcimbs once the Combine and Pro Days start.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Apr 14, '16, 9:56 am

The Legend wrote:Also remember, when they stopped playing games in January, Goff was the clear cut choice as the #1 QB. It's only during underwear model season that Wentz has climbed the charts. Be very weary of a guy that only lcimbs once the Combine and Pro Days start.

Wentz was getting tremendous hype before that within draft circles. It just didn't get a lot of media attention because it is NDSU and it wasn't draft season yet.

You have to evaluate the player, not the program. Wentz has a lot of positive attributes. He also has a lot of negatives. I'm not a huge fan of him or Goff or really any of the QBs in the draft the more I watch them, but the potential is there.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Apr 14, '16, 10:18 am

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:Also remember, when they stopped playing games in January, Goff was the clear cut choice as the #1 QB. It's only during underwear model season that Wentz has climbed the charts. Be very weary of a guy that only lcimbs once the Combine and Pro Days start.

Wentz was getting tremendous hype before that within draft circles. It just didn't get a lot of media attention because it is NDSU and it wasn't draft season yet.

You have to evaluate the player, not the program. Wentz has a lot of positive attributes. He also has a lot of negatives. I'm not a huge fan of him or Goff or really any of the QBs in the draft the more I watch them, but the potential is there.

I do evaluate the player, but a part of evaluating the player is seeing how easily replacable he is. Carson Wentz was easily replacable when he got hurt this past season and the Bison chugged along doing better than they did with him in place. Part of evaluating the player is evaluating if the system is giving you a false read on his talents and I believe NDSU's system gave Wentz a far better grade than he would have had anyways.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Apr 14, '16, 11:51 am

The Legend wrote:
DBSoT wrote:For most teams, lying makes sense, but what is the benefit for the Rams. No one can steal their pick and they didn't trade up for anyone else besides Wentz or Goff. I know it is difficult to believe that the best QB in the draft played at the FCS level, but that has more to do with college coaches missing on him, then it does with his actual talent. He also hit a growth spurt in college so I imagine that helped.

I don't have trouble believing it could happen, I disagree strongly that it happened in this case. Wentz was a product of a football factory that is so far superior to all other teams at that level that it won National Championships before him and will win national championships without him.

Just remember Wentz was actually hurt for the eight games before the national championship game and NDSU had to play a freshman quarterback in both regular season and playoff football games. NDSU actually SCORED MORE and had a BETTER offense under the freshman than they did with Wentz under center.

Goff on the other hand, inherited a 3-9 football team the year before his freshman season. After a 1--1 year as a freshman he had his team at 5-7 his sophomore year and 8-5 his junior year. Goff led CAL to a bowl win! Wentz is just another in the line of players that wins national championships at NDSU all the time.
The team got slightly better sure, but take a look at the records of the teams Cal beat. Goff has only beaten 4 teams with a winning record in his entire college career. Two of those teams are Portland State and San Diego State. The only other above .500 teams Goff beat were Washington State and Air Force in his last bowl game. It isn't that I believe Wentz is a far and away the better prospect, it's that this QB class includes a lot of development guys. When you have a bunch of project guys, I defer to the one with the best physical tools mixed with their success. Wentz has better physical tools compared to Goff. If we are talking about players that elevated their teams then I would put Cook or Lynch ahead of Goff and Wentz. Cook took MSU to 2 Big Ten Championships, a Rose Bowl win, a Cotton Bowl win, and the Playoff. Lynch had Memphis consistently in the top 25 and was a major reason Memphis beat a very good Ole Miss team.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '16, 11:57 am

I'd never even heard of this Wentz guy until like two weeks ago. Where did he come from all of a sudden?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Apr 14, '16, 12:12 pm

Everlong wrote:I'd never even heard of this Wentz guy until like two weeks ago. Where did he come from all of a sudden?
He wasn't really an unknown to most draft people or GMs. He was just unknown to the average fan because they don't watch North Dakota State games. He was a highly successful FCS QB who has all the physical traits you look for in an NFL QB. Something that isn't typical of many QBs at that level. He is tall, built, athletic, and has a strong arm. The only other player to play FCS and have those tools was Flacco and Flacco doesn't have Wentz's athleticism. His stats were good and he won 2 national championships at the FCS level. The knock on him is the competition that he played against, but a lot of reports say that team believe he is a top flight player. Below are quotes from an ESPN article on Wentz: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15158 ... ly-add-20m

"IT'S 36 HOURS from Wentz's pro day, and the compliments are snowballing. Jon Gruden says Wentz is the most NFL-ready quarterback he's seen in years. Mike Mayock thinks he's comparable to Andrew Luck. Gil Brandt says his arm reminds him of Joe Flacco's."

"For starters, Wentz's upbringing checks none of the boxes we've grown accustomed to seeing in a quarterback. He grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota, and was 5-foot-8 and 120 pounds as a high school freshman. His older brother, Zach, was a stud baseball player and 6-2 by eighth grade. People cracked jokes that it was a shame Carson wasn't blessed with the same athletic genes. "I remember just praying, 'Dear Lord, please let me grow to be at least 6 feet,' " Wentz says. Eventually his growth spurt came -- he now stands 6-5 -- but he didn't play quarterback until he was a senior, so he didn't get a single Division I scholarship offer. His profile was so low, in fact, that recruiting site Rivals.com didn't have a bio page for him. "Carson was always really intelligent, and he was a real worker," says Doug Wentz, Carson's dad. "So we figured he'd have success. Maybe one day he'd get a shot in an NFL camp. But never in a million years did we see all this unfolding."

He redshirted as a freshman, then spent two more years on the bench before he won the NDSU starting job as a junior. He did win two FCS titles as a starter and play in a pro-style offense, but no matter how impressive his film is, it's hard to overlook one red flag: He threw just 612 passes his entire career. For comparison's sake, Jared Goff, the other highly regarded QB in this draft, threw 1,569, including 529 in his final year at Cal."

"Should it matter? When you watch Wentz throw a football, when you see the way he uses his legs -- and a torso that's as thick as a whiskey barrel -- to drive the ball through the air, you see why NFL front offices don't seem to care that Wentz didn't face the highest level of competition in college. He looks like a burly lumberjack whipping a hatchet with a flick of his wrist. Scouts and agents, in love with Wentz's frame and mobility, started paying attention midway through his junior year. After that season, he was invited to be a counselor at Nike's Elite 11 Quarterback Competition, where he held his own against bigger names such as Deshaun Watson, Cody Kessler, Christian Hackenberg and J.T. Barrett. "That was a nice confidence boost," Wentz says. "But in general, I don't really struggle with my self-confidence."

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Messiah » Apr 14, '16, 2:02 pm

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:

I do evaluate the player, but a part of evaluating the player is seeing how easily replacable he is. Carson Wentz was easily replacable when he got hurt this past season and the Bison chugged along doing better than they did with him in place. Part of evaluating the player is evaluating if the system is giving you a false read on his talents and I believe NDSU's system gave Wentz a far better grade than he would have had anyways.

If this was the case, then why doesn't every NDSU QB and player get drafted?

Every great college program will find it fairly easy to replace a great college player. That is why their programs are great, it doesn't mean said player isn't as good. If you watched Wentz play and came away unimpressed, I'd understand. But it isn't fair to knock him simply because he played at NDSU. That is like saying Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu aren't that good because LSU had no problem replacing them.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Apr 14, '16, 2:05 pm

Everlong wrote:I'd never even heard of this Wentz guy until like two weeks ago. Where did he come from all of a sudden?

Yea, DBSoT basically answered it. I had heard of him even before the college season last year, but hadn't watched him until a month or two ago through the draftbreakdown website.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to NFL