It is currently: May 01, '24, 8:48 pm

Why hasn't Ryan Grigson been fired?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Why hasn't Ryan Grigson been fired?

Postby Messiah » Mar 04, '16, 12:09 pm

Not only has he not been fired, but they gave him an extension. He is one of the worst GMs in football and for some reason, the media overlooks it.

Andre Johnson had the 12th highest cap hit among receivers last year and he was well out of his prime and it showed. Traded a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson. Team hasn't improved since he has gotten there and if anything, they have regressed. They drafted a Phillip Dorsett, a wide receiver, in the first round. Which is probably one of the worst moves ever that I have seen get thrown under the rug.

There is no reason that he still has a job and I feel kind of bad for Luck that he will continue to waste years with a delusional GM. Grigson is a far bigger problem than Pagano, who I don't think is that bad of a coach.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Why hasn't Ryan Grigson been fired?

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 04, '16, 8:53 pm

He isn't anywhere near the worst GM, lmao. He has made a few mistakes as a GM but you can't sit there and ignore all the amazing talent he has acquired. Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Henry Anderson, Mike Adams, Vontae Davis, Jack Doyle, Irving, and Walden have all been exceptional players for us.

If he can just lay off gambling on free agents and stick to drafting (which he has a track record of being great at), the Colts should be in good shape.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby Messiah » Mar 05, '16, 11:35 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Henry Anderson, Mike Adams, Vontae Davis, Jack Doyle, Irving, and Walden have all been exceptional players for us.

It's 2016. If that is the best collection of players he has brought in 4 years, then you are proving my point exactly. :lol

Also, Jack Doyle, really? The guy with 35 receptions for 200 yards in 3 years? Come on. You're basically just naming players. In what way has he been an exceptional player for Indianapolis, unless your definition of exceptional is different from mine?

The only player on that list who might be top five at his position is Vontae Davis, and Luck is the only other one who would be in the top ten at his position. Maybe Hilton too, but it doesn't offset the atrocious signing of Andre Johnson, or the over-reliance on free agency, or trading a first-round pick for Richardson. He's one of the worst GMs in football. That you could only name those players just shows that.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 05, '16, 6:59 pm

Messiah wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Henry Anderson, Mike Adams, Vontae Davis, Jack Doyle, Irving, and Walden have all been exceptional players for us.

It's 2016. If that is the best collection of players he has brought in 4 years, then you are proving my point exactly. :lol

Also, Jack Doyle, really? The guy with 35 receptions for 200 yards in 3 years? Come on. You're basically just naming players. In what way has he been an exceptional player for Indianapolis, unless your definition of exceptional is different from mine?

The only player on that list who might be top five at his position is Vontae Davis, and Luck is the only other one who would be in the top ten at his position. Maybe Hilton too, but it doesn't offset the atrocious signing of Andre Johnson, or the over-reliance on free agency, or trading a first-round pick for Richardson. He's one of the worst GMs in football. That you could only name those players just shows that.

The Colts were one of the worst teams at stopping the run in 2013, as that showed in the AFC Championship game that year. So Grigson signed Langford, Irving and drafted Henry Anderson plus David Parry and miraculously the Colts became one of the best run stopping defenses. I don't understand how the worst GM in football can draft studs in late rounds like Henry Anderson and TY Hilton.

Jack Doyle is one of the best run blocking TEs and surpassed Dwayne Allen in efficiency in run blocking/pass blocking.

He has made a few bad moves but calling him the worst GM is absurd. He's had players that've been great and players that've missed like Richardson and Johnson. Although I don't see how the signing of Johnson was bad since the Colts structured his contract to benefit us and he was to fulfill a 3rd string role as a WR in the Colts offense. The Colts saved 5 million dollars in cap room after cutting him.

Our defense in 2014 improved a lot but we've struggled offensively in 2014, we should see how Grigson responds to that. I think if he sticks with drafting, the Colts will be in good shape. His draft picks for the most part have been really on point with the exception of Bjorn Werner.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby The Legend » Mar 06, '16, 6:15 am

I have to say I agree far more with Messiah on this issue. I mean Grigson has failed big time and I would blame him far more than Pagano. The one good draft pick he's made is Andrew Luck and Luck fell into Grigson's lap because of the previous regime.

That being said, the worst GM of all time has to go to the guy who in two years used four first round draft picks to select Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel, Danny Shelton and Cam Erving. While also, deciding he didn't need good players selected by other GM's to let go of guys like TJ Ward, D'Qwell Jackson, Ahtyba Rubin, Jordan Cameron and replacing them with old farts like Dwayne Bowe (who was paid 2 million dollars per catch last year), Donte Whitner, Karlos Dansby. Not to mention signing Alex Mack to the worst idea of a contract of all time because you used the transition tag on him.

Grigson is really bad, but Ray Farmer was the worst GM of all time.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Mar 06, '16, 10:33 am

Andrew lucks success in his first few years really overshadowed a lot of grigsons failures, which is actually remarkably similar to how Peyton used to cover up a lot of Polian 's failures. But with Luck playing like dog shit and then being injured last year and the real weaknesses on the Colts roster being exposed, I thought for sure there would be more heat on Grigson this offseason. But the last decade and a half has taught us the Colts are more than satisfied being "good enough."

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Messiah » Mar 06, '16, 6:32 pm

I never said Grigson was the worst GM. Just that he is one of the worst GMs. Which he is.

Again, you had to throw a blocking tight end into the mix when talking about some of the better players he has brought in. That proves my point. You compare who he has brought in since 2012 to guys like Gettleman and Schneider and it's pitiful. Like I said, the only player he has acquired that might be top five at his position is Davis and the only other one who might be top ten at his position is Luck. Hilton is a damn good player too, but that is about it. And I don't give him credit for drafting Luck. That is a no-brainer pick for any GM, doesn't say much about how good a GM is.

And I cannot overstate how bad of a move drafting Phillip Dorsett, a wide receiver, was. We cannot overlook this.

Although I don't see how the signing of Johnson was bad since the Colts structured his contract to benefit us and he was to fulfill a 3rd string role as a WR in the Colts offense. The Colts saved 5 million dollars in cap room after cutting him.

It was a horrific move. He had a huge cap hit and hardly produced, not to mention the Colts already had solid weapons and drafted Dorsett.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Return to NFL