It is currently: May 13, '24, 7:23 am

Who gets the #1 overall pick?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Who gets the #1 overall pick?

Postby Messiah » Oct 26, '15, 10:07 pm

Detroit Lions (1-6)
San Francisco 49ers (2-5)
Chicago Bears (2-4)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-4)
Dallas Cowboys (2-4)
Baltimore Ravens (1-6)
Tennessee Titans (1-5)
San Diego Chargers (2-5)
Jacksonville Jaguars (2-5)
Houston Texans (2-5)
Cleveland Browns (2-5)
Kansas City Chiefs (2-5)

That is the list of teams with 2 or less wins this season. I can't picture any of the 3 or more win teams finishing poorly enough to pick number one. I mean the Saints or Redskins seems plausible but still so unlikely.

Who picks first overall if you had to guess? You can take the Cowboys out of the list. Once Romo and Bryant return, they are going to pick up some wins. I really don't want to believe the Chargers won't pull off some miraculous winning streak down the stretch, but that team is really bad. Texans are a dumpster fire, I don't know how they have 2 wins.

Now Ravens... Ravens I legit could see picking 1st. This isn't just a team not getting the breaks it needs. They flat out suck. They have very little talent on offense and that defense, it's just bad. I'll go Lions though. That team is so poorly coached and their upcoming schedule is vicious.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Who gets the #1 overall pick?

Postby DBSoT » Oct 26, '15, 11:32 pm

The obvious candidates are the Lions, Ravens, 49ers, or Titans. Personally, I want the Lions to get the #1 pick so that they take a real hard look at blowing up the whole team. Fire Mayhew(GM), Caldwell, and drop Stafford. Unfortunately, the Lions don't work that way. They always disappoint, so they will probably get to 5 wins and take themselves out of the top 5 picks.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby Chewy » Oct 27, '15, 1:27 am

Cleveland of course, because they cheat.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Oct 27, '15, 5:08 am

I'll start with a process of elimination for the teams that won't get the #1 pick, going down the list from worst records.

The Ravens are off the list. Does anyone realize that every game Baltimore has played in this year has been a one score difference? That is the definition of a team that isn't catching the breaks. At some point they will get enough games to go their way to get out of the #1 pick and their funk. They won't have a good year, but it won't turn out to be a disaster.

The Cowboys are off the list like Messiah said. They will rebound eventually.

I can't believe the Chargers while not a good team this year won't win at least a couple more games.

The Browns won't pick #1. They never pick #1. No matter how bad they've been they haven't had the #1 pick since 2000. If they are in position to get the #1 pick in December, then they will go into Seattle in Week 15 and pull off the most shocking upset of the season to beat the Seahawks. It's what the Browns do, they win a game late in the season they have no business winning and does them no good just to drop them 5 spots in the draft to guarantee they won't get the quarterback they need for another year.

Now, looking at the other teams, the Lions and Titans have an obvious real shot at it and are the favorite with only 1 win. The Chiefs without Jamal Charles and the Texans without Arian Foster have a shot at being awful enough to not win another game this season. I believe that those four teams will all be in the top 5 of the draft, with the Browns probably being the other. It's just a matter of the order in which they will fall.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Oct 27, '15, 7:35 am

I changing my vote to the Texans. When you look at the four teams I mentioned above (Ravens, Lions, 49ers, and Titans), all of them have a QB who has had at least a bit of success at the NFL level or has shown that potential (Mariota). Houston has the most abysmal QB situation, just lost Arian Foster for the year (again), and can't get their last #1 overall pick going.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Oct 27, '15, 8:41 am

Yeah I think right now the Texans are pretty easily the worst team in the NFL, especially now that they've lost Foster for the season. They're getting womped on right now, and their QB shitfest is pathetic.

They'll be taking Goff with the top pick.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Nov 15, '15, 8:08 pm

If the season ended today the Browns would have the 1st overall pick for the first time since the 2000 NFL draft. If they don't beat the Niners at home on Dec 13, I really don't think they'll win another game this season.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Nov 15, '15, 8:15 pm

The Legend wrote:If the season ended today the Browns would have the 1st overall pick for the first time since the 2000 NFL draft. If they don't beat the Niners at home on Dec 13, I really don't think they'll win another game this season.

You overrate the Ravens. They are on an entirely different level of suck. They combine the suck of the Browns with the LULZ of the Chargers.

Did you see how they lost today? A team that loses like that doesn't deserve to win another game this season.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Nov 15, '15, 8:25 pm

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:If the season ended today the Browns would have the 1st overall pick for the first time since the 2000 NFL draft. If they don't beat the Niners at home on Dec 13, I really don't think they'll win another game this season.

You overrate the Ravens. They are on an entirely different level of suck. They combine the suck of the Browns with the LULZ of the Chargers.

Did you see how they lost today? A team that loses like that doesn't deserve to win another game this season.

I didn't see how they lost today, I was too busy watching my team commit at least 11 penalties for the fourth time in 10 games this season. Today it was 12 for 188 yards. 188 yards!! they gave 100 more yards in penalties today than their two running backs have gained in the past month COMBINED! I watched my team give up the most passing yards to a backup quarterback ever today. A team that doesn't have anyone that can cover an NFL receiver, tackle an NFL running back, get off a block by an NFL lineman or sack an NFL quarterback, but other than that they are good.

To say nothing about the now 4 wide receivers who will be out with concussions next week. The team will be down to old man Bowe next week and nothing else.

Also, we've already beaten the Ravens this season. We've only swept the Ravens twice in the entire history, both times the Browns had a winning record. That won't happen this year. Add in the fact that they will be playing in prime time with a pissed off Ravens squad looking to wipe the floor with them on Monday Night in front of the nation and there's zero chance we'll win that game. There's also likely to be a new DC for that game after our bye which just causes problems.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Nov 16, '15, 7:44 am

@Messiah

So I went back saw highlights and the final score and you know what I saw, a Ravens team that continues to take it down to the wire. Every game this season for Baltimore has been a one score game. They play everybody tough. The Browns on the other hand have been outscored 85-19 in their last 10 quarters. Cleveland has become an NFL team that would struggle to win CFL or AFL games. They just quit and don't compete at all.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Nov 16, '15, 9:21 am

Just so there is a updated list, here is the current top 10 NFL Draft order:
*Teams with the same record are ranked by SOS%*

1) Cleveland Browns (2-8) (0.518%)
2) Tennessee Titans (2-7) (0.500%)
3) Baltimore Ravens (2-7) (0.511%)
4) San Diego Chargers (2-7) (0.514%)
5) Detroit Lions (2-7) (0.529%)
6) Dallas Cowboys (2-7) (0.566%)
7) Jacksonville Jaguars (3-6) (0.472%)
8) San Francisco 49ers (3-6) (0.536%)
9) Kansas City Chiefs (3-5) (0.504%)
10) Houston Texans (3-5) (0.521%) *Subject to change pending tonight's MNF game.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Nov 16, '15, 2:06 pm

I really don't see how it won't come down to Cleveland, Tennessee or Detroit. Those are the three teams with the most potential to bottom out.

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL