It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 2:35 am

Squared Circle Community NFL Mock Draft Thread

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Squared Circle Community NFL Mock Draft Thread

Postby The Legend » Mar 18, '15, 3:43 pm

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Messiah) – March 27

With the first pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Jameis Winston, Quarterback, Florida State

As the 2013 Heisman Trophy Award winner and quarterback who led FSU to a 2013 BCS National Championship win, Jameis Winston has been the clear-cut number one quarterback in this draft since day one. When you take into account his prototypical size and arm strength and his displays on the field that show he is further along mentally than the majority of college quarterbacks that come out, it should be easy to see why the Buccaneers will almost certainly be taking him first overall.

There is a lot about Winston's game to like. He is a pocket passer first and foremost. Like Ben Roethlisberger, he uses his size to escape a lot of dangerous situations and is mobile inside and outside the pocket, but manages to keep his eyes downfield at all times. Winston stands strong in the pocket, showing the ability to fit the ball into tight windows even in an unclean pocket. Winston played in an offense where he had to go through his progressions, and he did it exceptionally well. His football intelligence is top notch and by all accounts, he is a hard worker. Arguably his best trait is his ability in the final moments of games. Winston gets the job done when his team is expecting the most out of him. He doesn't crack under pressure easily.

However, as much as there is to like about Winston, there is a good amount to dislike him about him as well. Winston's throwing motion is very elongated. Not as bad as Leftwich but it reminds me of it. It could cause him problems in the NFL with how fast DBs tend to break on the ball. When you combine it with his footwork, which at times can be strong and other times, be shaky at best, it can lead to complications. There are too many examples of him throwing off-balance and it leads to his passes sailing, which played a role in his high interception count his last season. I don't know how fixable his throwing motion is, but his footwork can be patched up with good coaching based off what he's shown us.

The number one thing that scares people about Winston is his off-field issues. Winston makes a lot of immature decisions despite the scrutiny he was constantly over. The Bucs must have faith that he will.

2. Tennessee Titans (xgamr) – March 28

With the second pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select...

Leonard Williams, Defensive End, USC

While I do think Mariota could also be Drafted here since the Titans could use a different QB if the have no faith in Mettenberger. But thinking about other needs, another one that stick out is a pass rusher. and that is why I went with Williams.

At USC, He played to a level to be up for many different awards. His physical attributes are also what makes him worthy to be drafted this high. the 34 5/8 arm length will be a big plus. He has shown a good closing speed which is needed. He has also played different spots on the line that can be helpful. Although his weaknesses can hurt him such as going from run stopping to rushing the pass, his talent and strengths more valuable .

He is still raw to help become a better rusher, His strength and his play make him a good # 2 pick.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (xgamr) – March 29

With the third pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Amari Cooper, Wide Receiver, Alabama,

I was stuck between Fowler Jr and Coope. After thinking more, Cooper is the better choice.

Bortles showed an upside with his play last year with the talent around him. Yes i could of gone O-line here but with who is left on the board, Cooper makes a better choice.

A Biletnikoff Award winner, All-American and SEc player of the year. Cooper showed greatness at Bama. He has great speed and knows how to get away from defenders. another plus is not being afraid of going into the middle. He does drop the ball at times, but they can be improved on.

Overall, He is a great pick to help Bortles and himself grow in to a great QB/WR combo and help the jaguars improve and be a contender in the AFC south.

4. Oakland Raiders (CMPUNKFAN) – March 30

CMPUNKFAN wrote:4. Oakland Raiders - March 30th (CMPUNKFAN)

With the 4th overall pick the Oakland Raiders select...

WR, Kevin White, WVU

From purely a physical standpoint, White is an impressive and intimidating wide receiver. He’s a tall receiver and knows how to use his height to his advantage. He’s especially dangerous because he’s one of the fastest wide receivers in the draft this year. The Raiders didn't land a front-line receiver in free agency and will need to find someone who can help Derek Carr grow. White has been the prospect who has ascended the most in the past calendar year and he fits the old-school Raiders mold of the height-weight-speed prospect who also plays angry

5. Washington Redskins (SKS) – March 31

With the 5th pick of the NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select...

Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon Ducks

I was surprised to see Mariota not taken by the Titans, so I went with him here at 5. I felt that in a league where you really need to take a chance on getting a franchise QB, the Redskins would take Mariota if he's still there at 5. Heisman Trophy winner, has had an amazing college career in a great offensive system. Will that translate to the NFL? I don't know.

But I think it's clear that the Redskins have given up on Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins. From benching RGIII to benching Kirk Cousins, the Redskins looked the most comfortable with Colt McCoy. Kirk Cousins has looked decent at times but has proven he's really not that great. RGIII has been injured often, has regressed after a pretty great rookie season and I don't see him having much chemistry with Jay Gruden (I think they pretty much hate each other on the inside) and it seems Gruden is being committed to by the organization.

The Redskins have brought Mariota in for private workouts, so the interest is there. They aren't going to win a Super Bowl next year, and probably not contend for one for a while. I think if he's there, you might as well take him and hope to build around him on offense.

I was leaning towards either Kevin White or Amari Cooper if Mariota wasn't taken because the Redskins could use a WR to pair with DeSean Jackson who can be inconsistent. I think they will end up with one of them in the actual draft, because I think Mariota is going at #2. EDIT: For some reason I thought Garcon was released. I think they could still use another weapon though, but got to have someone to throw it.

6. New York Jets (Everlong) – April 1

With the 6th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the New York Jets select...

Shane Ray, DE, Missouri Tigers

Lots of mock drafts have Shane Ray falling somewhere between 4 and 8. With Marcus Mariota off the board, the Jets certainly cannot justify taking another QB this high, despite their definite need considering Geno Smith is straight ass and Ryan Fitzpatrick is the definition of journeyman. So they turn to their defense instead, where they attempt to rebuild the might that carried them to consecutive AFC Championships five years ago.

They addressed their biggest defensive need (cornerback) in free agency. The Jets' 2014 pass rush was decidedly average at best, and Shane Ray could be one of the best pure pass rushing threats coming out in the draft. While he's a bit undersized currently, he could still bulk up a bit and be played either as a defensive end or an outside linebacker.

7. Chicago Bears (DBSOT) – April 2

With the 7th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select

Danny Shelton, Defensive Tackle, Washington

I have the Bears stuck between 3 guys at this point. Danny Sheldon (best player available at this point IMO), Landon Collins, or Vic Beasley. Secondary was clearly the Bears biggest weakness last year, but this would be a bit early to take Collins. Beasley has man-beast written all over him. He was in the 15-20 range prior to the combine, but after he has sky rocketed up boards. I don't really put stock in the combine, but Beasley got unvalvued prior so I think this is the right spot. With that said, I think the Bears will be looking more towards the secondary or D-line. So my pick is Danny Shelton.Washington DT Danny Shelton checks in at 6-2 and 339 pounds and excels at occupying space and stuffing the run. Shelton isn’t a typical nose tackle though because he’s much more of a playmaker than you would expect from the position. In fact, Shelton’s uncommon athleticism, quickness and motor helped him register an impressive 16.5 tackles for a loss and 9.0 sacks as a senior. Shelton would be a perfect fit as the anchor.

8. Atlanta Falcons (Messiah) – April 3

With the eighth pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select...

Vic Beasley, Outside Linebacker, Clemson

I would be surprised to see Shane Ray go ahead of Beasley and a couple of other guys. One because I'm not a huge fan of Shane Ray and two because of how good I think Beasley will be (strong draft for pass rushers). It was between him and Gregory for me but Gregory's latest mishap pushed the edge to Beasley here. Beasley is an outstanding athlete in the mold of Von Miller and is the type of explosive pass rusher Atlanta's defense needs after a couple of seasons of not being able to get after the quarterback consistently.

9. New York Giants (SKS) – April 4

Brandon Scherff, Offensive Tackle, Iowa

For the Giants I'd pick Brandon Scherff. Giants' biggest problem in my opinion was their o line and I believe Eli was sacked the most times the last two seasons (or at least top 5). They have their QB, great WR weapons and decent running game so I think they'll try and solidify the line. Scherff seems to be the best offensive lineman on the board (also won the most outstanding interior lineman award( so I think if they go o line, he'll be the one they pick. The dude is huge, 6'5 319 lbs. He has played guard before moving to tackle, so I think he could transition back to it if the Giants choose.

10. St. Louis Rams (ShaneOFan) – April 5

La'el Collins, Offensive Tackle, Louisiana State.

Rams are pretty solid on defense and while their receiving horoscopes use depth there is no one on the board worth taking this high. Rams need help on O-line if they plan to keep Napoleon Dynamite alive. My pick was going to be Scherff but with him off the board, the best available is LSU's La'el Collins. The 6'4" 300lbs tackle is quick on his feet and a great prostyle play. A hard working and determined player who's quickness can be his downfall is heading to a team where he can be a huge help. While maybe not a star athlete expect him to be a day one starter likely on the right side.

11. Minnesota Vikings (DBSOT) – April 6

With 11th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Vikings select:
Breshad Perriman
Less than a year ago it looked like the Vikings had a budding star at wideout in Cordarrelle Patterson but after the mother of all sophomore slumps that may no longer be the case. Even if Patterson gets his career back on track Minnesota still needs another weapon. Perriman has been rushing up boards with his incredible 40 time and impressive combine. He may not be as polished as some other WRs, but the interest he is drawing right now is undeniable. If they still trade AP, look for Minnesota to trade down and take Melvin Gordon.

12. Cleveland Browns (Legend) – April 7

With the 12th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

Dante Fowler, Jr., Outside Linebacker, Florida

So this is a tricky pick based on who has come off the board already. When you look at the Browns there’s pretty much three areas that they could attack if they don’t trade up to try and get Marcus Mariota. If the board broke down this way I would run to the podium to draft DeVante Parker, but two things are stopping me from making him the pick. First, I don’t think Ray Farmer has it in him to make that pick. Second, I don’t think Parker will be there or will get passed over for Breshad Perriman.

The other two areas that they could attack are the league’s worst run defense from 2014 or a weaker than necessary pass rush. With Danny Shelton off the board there isn’t a run stuffing tackle worth taking here.

That leads me to what could possibly be the steal of the draft if the board falls this way. Dante Fowler, Jr. is a perfect 3-4 outside linebacker to rush the passer, cover backs and set the edge in the run game. He’ll slide in and immediately replace a poor system fit in natural 4-3 defensive end Jabaal Sheard who is now in New England. Coach Mike Pettine said the goal of this off-season is to take the defense to a dominant level, Fowler takes them in that direction (Note: Yes, I picked that picture on purpose)

13. New Orleans Saints (Messiah) – April 8

With the 13th pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

Randy Gregory, Outside Linebacker, Nebraska

Outside linebacker is a need for New Orleans and Gregory is arguably the best of the class. Gregory has his faults - he failed a drug test at the combine and I'm worried about his weight/strength. However, Gregory also has a ton of positives. He is an extremely explosive pass rusher who utilizes several moves to get after the quarterback and has the athleticism to develop into a good enough player in coverage. Gregory may fall lower than this because of the drug test, but I think any team that passes on him could end up regretting it down the road. He is one of those prospects where I don't think there is any middle ground. He will either be great/elite or he won't be. I'm expecting top-tier production from him.

14. Miami Dolphins (Everlong) – April 9

With the 14th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

Devante Parker, WR, Louisville

The Dolphins lost possession receiver Brian Hartline in free agency and traded away Mike Wallace, who was never really a big threat. They could always use more players in the secondary (who can't?) but defense is already a team strength. What they really need to do is give Ryan Tannehill more weapons to work with on offense, because right now it's Jarvis Landry and not much else. Landry himself is still something of a question mark as well, despite a fairly productive rookie season.

Parker is a big receiver who will match up nicely with the smaller Landry. His height and size will allow him to go up for jump balls down the field and give the Dolphins a potential home run threat that they're lacking right now, one that they thought that they had in Wallace, who has always been a burner and not much else. His 4.45 40 time means he's not just a possession receiver... he can beat defenders with his legs as well, and has plenty run after catch ability. It's a pick that just makes sense for the Dolphins if he's still on the board.

15. San Francisco 49ers (ShaneOFan) – April 10

With the 15th pick of the NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select….

Jordan Phillips, Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma

The San Francisco 49ers select Jordan Phillips out of Oklahoma. The almost 350 pound nose tackle has impressive speed for his size. What he lacks in the pass rush he makes up for on run defense. A trait that will help against division rival Seattle and their run happy offense.

16. Houston Texans (xgamr) – April 11

With the Sixteenth pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select...

Trae Waynes, CB Michigan State

Tough choices to make here since the Texans could probably want to fill some offensive needs here but the better wideouts are taken that would fit the Texans. So I went with Waynes as not a big need but a good pickup for the team.

Waynes is the fastest corner out of the combine with the 4.31 40 time. He is great man to man and bump and run coverage. His speed will help him when he needs to go deep down field. his downside his he uses his hands too much and could get a lot of flags.

Besides being a Spartan, I chose Waynes here because the Texans Defense is missing some pieces and i feel that his play style can help the Texans out even with having Watt and Clowney.

17. San Diego Chargers (CMPUNKFAN) – April 12

With the 17th pick the San Diego Chargers select...

RB, Todd Gurley, UGA

The fact that Georgia RB Todd Gurley will likely be a first round pick even though the position has been devalued and he is coming off a major knee injury really speaks volumes about how special he is. San Diego could be the perfect spot at 17th overall. Gurley's often compared to Adrian Peterson. High praise. If the medicals check out, this could end up being a steal. The Chargers need a lead running back, so why not take the best one in the draft. Gurley is a true workhorse back when healthy. He runs with power and speed and is good enough in the passing game. The medical reports say Gurley will be ready in July.

18. Kansas City Chiefs (CMPUNKFAN) – April 13

With the 18th pick Kansas City Chiefs select...

OT, Andrus Peat, Stanford

Stanford OT Andrus Peat looks every bit the part and has all of the physical tools that you look for but he doesn’t always play up to his immense talent level. However, at this point Peat is probably worth the risk and he would combine with Fisher to give the Chiefs a quality set of bookends for years to come. The Chiefs have some big holes to fill at center and wide receiver, but it’s hard to keep rolling with Donald Stephenson at right tackle. Peat is a high-upside blocker. Andy Reid loves to be strong at the offensive tackle position.

19. Cleveland Browns (Legend) – April 14

With the 19th pick the Cleveland Browns select...

Eddie Goldman, Defensive Tackle, Florida State

With the 12th pick the Browns addressed their too weak pass rush, and here they have a lot of different routes they could go. The way I'm going to choose to go is to address the league's worst run defense a year ago. I was debating between Malcolm Brown and Goldman, but ultimately Goldman's larger size and ability to stuff the middle of the line in the running game wins out. He won't be a star or a huge playmaker, but Goldman is a stead run stuffer who will fill a role that Cleveland needs filled at the nose quite well. Doing a lot of non-glamorous dirty work.

The Browns still need to address how to avoid an 8th straight season of averaging less than 20 points per game on offense, but after adding Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline in free agency it's pretty clear that they won't go that route of playmaker in the first round.

My one serious hope is that they also avoid going after an offensive lineman here. They already have four offensive linemen selected in either the first or second round on their team. At some point a team has to find adequate offensive linemen on day 3 or 4 of draft weekend.

20. Philadelphia Eagles (SKS) – April 15

With the 20th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select:

Landon Collins, S, Alabama

The Eagles main problem on defense last year seemed to be getting burned deep. Whether it be Cary Williams or Bradley Fletcher getting abused at the line and having no one to help out up top, it wasn't pretty. Despite being more of an "in the box" safety I think Collins could certainly help solve that problem. First of all, Williams and Fletcher are gone. Addition by subtraction I'd say. With the big signing of CB Byron Maxwell and some relatively promising talent at the position (Boykin has been good) I have hopes that the secondary can become a strength for the team.

Malcolm Jenkins would benefit from having a guy like Collins next to him to plug the center, as he's big and strong - 6'0, 228 - and is a sure fire tackler. He topped the 100 tackle mark in his final season with Alabama, facing tough teams in the SEC. This is what the Eagles need, someone who can make a damn tackle. I don't think we've had someone at S that would be sure to bring a guy down since Brian Dawkins. A 4.53 40 shows that he can pair his hard hitting mentality with good speed as well.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (Legend) – April 16

With the 21stpick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select...

Alvin “Bud” Dupree, Outside Linebacker, Kentucky

The Bengals biggest weakness is undoubtedly not on defense. It’s the guy that lines up directly behind the center to start every play. However, Cincinnati can’t do any better than Andy Dalton this year sitting where they are sitting in the first round.

Because of that, the best they can hope to do is improve their league worst pass rush. Bringing back Michael Johnson helps that a little bit, but bringing in Bud Dupree to rush the passer from the other side would help them out immensely from a defensive stand point. Defense has basically carried this team to four straight playoff appearances, maybe they can make it five straight.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers (Legend) – April 17

With the 22nd pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Byron Jones, Cornerback, UConn

The Steelers have the potential to field the best offense in the NFL already next year. With Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’veon Bell they seem pretty well set on that side of the ball with playmakers. They also have developed a much better offensive line than the one that looked like it was going to get Roethlisberger killed a few years ago.

That being said, the Steel Curtain is now made of swiss cheese and with the departure of Dick LeBeau it’s the perfect time to do some re-tooling of that defense. Their corners have been a combination of old or horrible or both for a while now and Byron Jones is a big corner with speed and athleticism that should help them improve their defense.

23. Detroit Lions (DBSOT) – April 18

With the 23rd pick the Detroit Lions select.....

Cameron Erving.

The Lions biggest need are at O-Line, D-line, and CB. With the departure of Suh and Fairley you would think that the Lion's biggest need would be on the D-line. The Lion's trade for Haloti Ngata and signing of Tyrunn Walker along with the the development of Caraun Reid, is enough to hold off until at least the 2nd round. Also all major DTs have been drafted in our mock. The O-line was very good in 2013, but took a major step back in 2014. Raiola is finally gone (thankfully) and will be replaced by the young and talented Travis Swanson, but will need to replace Sims at right guard and find an upgrade at either left or right tackle. Reily Reiff is very good, but is not a natural left tackle and would be better off on the right side. So when you have needs at all three line positions, you will look for a versatile lineman. Cameron Erving is exactly that. Erving played tackle, guard, and center at FSU and was all-ACC at guard and center. He was the best o-lineman on a team that lost one game in 2 years and he was versatile enough to basically play the whole line during that period. Some project him to be a center, but with the Lions he will likely play guard opposite Larry Warford. A terrific athlete with an outstanding blend of size and quickness, Erving is still developing, but possesses the physical tools and intangibles to eventually be one of the best pivots in the league.

24. Arizona Cardinals (ShaneOFan) – April 19

With the 24th pick the Arizona Cardinals select…

Melvin Gordon, Running Back, Wisconsin

The 24th pick goes to the Arizona Cardinals and they take perhaps the best running back in the draft with the selection of Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin. Arizona's backfield is lacking severely and Melvin is the guy to change that. With explosive speed he is so fast he makes fast people look not fast. (+1rep for reference). He is also a tough kid that can take a hit and keep on going. He will be a great addition the team.

25. Carolina Panthers (Messiah) – April 20

With the 25th Pick the Carolina Panthers select...

Shaq Thompson, Hybrid, Washington

This was a tough pick for me. I was tempted to go with Clemmings, but his technique is poor and while he is extremely athletic, I am not sure how well he will do in the NFL. Panthers have met and had dinner with Shaq Thompson, so the interest is there. There are few teams in the NFL who will know how to properly use Thompson and McDermott/Rivera are one of them due to the system they run. Thompson is an incredible talent who is in that breed of players who is a LOT faster on the field than his 40 time would indicate. He can play as an in the box safety, a cover linebacker, blitzer, etc. He is someone you just need to move all around the field. With Davis getting up there in age and Carolina's safety concerns (right now, it is just Boston and Harper - Boston might have a bright future but Harper is slow as dirt), Thompson would be an excellent pick here.

26. Baltimore Ravens (Legend) – April 21

With the 26th Pick the Baltimore Ravens select...

Arik Armstead, Defensive Tackle, Oregon

After trading Haloti Ngata away before he becomes an unproductive player the Ravens need another high motor guy that can disrupt plays in a number of ways and Arik Armstead gives them all of that. He’s a guy that Baltimore can slide all over their front to take advantage of mismatches. He can rush the passer, he can hold the edge in the running game and pursue ball carriers, as well as use his large frame to swat quarterback passes and his athleticism to drop in coverage on occasion to disrupt the passing game. Armstead just seems like the perfect Baltimore Ravens pick, much like CJ Mosley was last year.

27. Dallas Cowboys (SKS) – April 22

With the 27th pick the Dallas Cowboys select:

Jay Ajayi, RB Boise State

This was a tough pick for me to make, but looking at the roster needs for the Cowboys, I think RB depth is the most glaring. They have their QB, WRs, TE, O-line certainly. Their defense was shockingly good last season, but I could see them going with a guy like Kevin Johnson for CB depth. However, I'll go with a RB here. If Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon III are off the board, I see Ajayi as the next best RB available (plus he's a beast in NCAA 13). Good size at 6'0 220, and impressive speed. I think if Ajayi is there at 32 the Patriots will draft him, after losing Ridley and Vereen, so I don't know if Dallas can afford to wait until day 2. Darren McFadden was a decent signing but he can't stay healthy, and Joseph Randle can't stop stealing things. Adding Ajayi would bring good depth to the position, and I'm sure he'll develop well behind that O-line.

28. Denver Broncos (CMPUNKFAN) – April 23

With the 28th pick the Denver Broncos select...

OT, Jake Fisher, Oregon

[align=center]Fisher, who started for two years at right tackle before moving to left tackle in his senior season at Oregon, is a perfect fit for Denver’s shift to a zone-blocking scheme under new head coach Gary Kubiak. In addition to playing in a zone scheme at Oregon, Fisher is the most athletic offensive tackle in this year’s draft.
Not as powerful as the prototypical right tackle, Fisher also needs some work on his technique, but he has as much upside as any offensive lineman in the class. Peyton Manning’s time with the Broncos is closing, fast. So they need to bolster the unit that is in charge of keeping him healthy: the offensive line. Fisher, a 6-foot-6, 306-pound offensive tackle, was one of college football’s best offensive linemen in 2014. He was so good, in fact, that many people dismissed the Ducks’ lone regular season loss because it occurred with him off the field. Fisher is polished and possesses strong fundamentals; he should be able to step in right away and start. Going from protecting a Heisman winner in Marcus Mariota to a future NFL Hall of Famer in Manning should be pretty cool.

29. Indianapolis Colts (xgamr) – April 24

With the twenty ninth pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...

T.J. Clemmings OT, Pittsburgh

This pick was easy for me in term of position and not the player until seeing who was left on the board at this point. I feel the colts top priority as a need is to protect Andrew Luck. While i feel others who were taken earlier will be around, Clemmings is also a good fit.

While he does need to improve in that he is still new to this position, his raw talent is a good fit for the coaches at Indy to shape him to be serviceable lineman in protecting Luck. Playing basketball n high school help and his athletic frame is a plus too. and being from the defensive side of the ball helps him with skills needed to stop the d-line. While not my first pick, I believe Clemmings will help out Indy maybe not right away, but in future with learning in the pros.

30. Green Bay Packers (DBSOT) – April 25

With the 30th pick in the NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select......

Marcus Peters

It’s been awhile since Green Bay made a significant draft pick investment at cornerback but they could consider Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest, Jalen Collins of L.S.U. or Marcus Peters of Washington following the losses of both Tramon Williams and Davon House in free agency. Marcus Peters is arguably the most talented corner in this class but his situation is clouded by character concerns after being dismissed from the Washington program in early-November. Because of that uncertainty Peters could come off the board as early as the middle of round one or slide out of the first round all together. A smooth, athletic playmaker with a nice blend of size and speed, Peters can not only match up in coverage but is also very physical and not afraid to throw his body around. Character concerns aside this is a steal at this point. If the Green Bay coaching staff can coach him up and keep him out of trouble then they may have a pro bowl corner in their hands. These will be similar to the Tyrun Matheu situation in Arizona. I could also see the Packers take a DT like Carl Davis or LB like Denzel Perryman or Stephone Anthony.

31. New Orleans Saints (Messiah) – April 26

With the 31st pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Defensive End, UCLA

This was a tough pick, but I think New Orleans is going to stick with defense and roll Randy Gregory at OLB next to Odi. Odi is a versatile player who I think could switch between DE and OLB (in a 3-4). With Junior Galette being charged with domestic violence, it leaves questions at the linebacker position. With Gregory and Odi, I think any Saints fan would be optimistic about their future. At least defensively.

32. New England Patriots (Everlong) – April 27

With the 32nd pick in the NFL draft, the defending champion New England Patriots select...

Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke

Nothing flashy or complicated about this pick, really. Tomlinson is considered to be among the best interior linemen in the draft, and offensive line remains one of the Patriots' weaknesses. This seems like a pretty natural fit, so not a whole lot to say here :lol

Last edited by The Legend on Apr 27, '15, 3:02 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: Squared Circle Community NFL Mock Draft Thread

Postby The Legend » Mar 18, '15, 3:49 pm

Alright, so this is the thread where we will post our mock draft picks. @Messiah will be up first next Friday. If we post a pick a day from then until the round is over we'll finish up right around draft time. I built a few extra days into the schedule in case we get behind.

@Everlong can you unsticky the sign up thread and sticky this one?

How it will work is when it's a person's turn they'll post their pick and a short summary in this thread and I'll paste it into the first post. Hopefully we'll generate some discussion along the way talking about each pick as well.

Thanks everyone and hopefully we'll have a lot of fun with this again this year!

World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Mar 18, '15, 4:39 pm

Looking forward to this!! :tim

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '15, 8:16 am

So before we get this started, here's the mock draft we did last year for everyone to use as a guide as to how we'll go about it this year. It's also good for a hysterical laugh at how brutally we fucked it up last year. COME ON GUYS LET'S DO BETTER THIS YEAR!!!

http://squaredcircle.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2267

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Mar 27, '15, 6:34 am

@Messiah

You are up for the first pick in our mock draft today. So excited to get this thing started!

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Mar 27, '15, 8:18 am

I am so ready. Let's do this.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby xgamr » Mar 27, '15, 9:20 am

it might be out of the question but. IRL stuff has gotten in the way and made my anxious. since im 2 in a row could I have both picks up sunday because I'll have more time to get my thoughts about them. if not, I'll try my best to get one tomorrow and other sunday

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Mar 27, '15, 9:28 am

xgamr wrote:it might be out of the question but. IRL stuff has gotten in the way and made my anxious. since im 2 in a row could I have both picks up sunday because I'll have more time to get my thoughts about them. if not, I'll try my best to get one tomorrow and other sunday

I'd like to do one a day, but it wouldn't be horrible if you did both on Sunday, just if you could do them earlier in the day because with it being Mania Sunday I'll be leaving in the afternoon to hang out with some friends for the show.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby xgamr » Mar 27, '15, 9:30 am

The Legend wrote:
xgamr wrote:it might be out of the question but. IRL stuff has gotten in the way and made my anxious. since im 2 in a row could I have both picks up sunday because I'll have more time to get my thoughts about them. if not, I'll try my best to get one tomorrow and other sunday

I'd like to do one a day, but it wouldn't be horrible if you did both on Sunday, just if you could do them earlier in the day because with it being Mania Sunday I'll be leaving in the afternoon to hang out with some friends for the show.

yeah itd be done in the morning cause i have mania plans too

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Messiah » Mar 27, '15, 10:34 pm

With the first pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Jameis Winston, Quarterback, Florida State

As the 2013 Heisman Trophy Award winner and quarterback who led FSU to a 2013 BCS National Championship win, Jameis Winston has been the clear-cut number one quarterback in this draft since day one. When you take into account his prototypical size and arm strength and his displays on the field that show he is further along mentally than the majority of college quarterbacks that come out, it should be easy to see why the Buccaneers will almost certainly be taking him first overall.

There is a lot about Winston's game to like. He is a pocket passer first and foremost. Like Ben Roethlisberger, he uses his size to escape a lot of dangerous situations and is mobile inside and outside the pocket, but manages to keep his eyes downfield at all times. Winston stands strong in the pocket, showing the ability to fit the ball into tight windows even in an unclean pocket. Winston played in an offense where he had to go through his progressions, and he did it exceptionally well. His football intelligence is top notch and by all accounts, he is a hard worker. Arguably his best trait is his ability in the final moments of games. Winston gets the job done when his team is expecting the most out of him. He doesn't crack under pressure easily.

However, as much as there is to like about Winston, there is a good amount to dislike him about him as well. Winston's throwing motion is very elongated. Not as bad as Leftwich but it reminds me of it. It could cause him problems in the NFL with how fast DBs tend to break on the ball. When you combine it with his footwork, which at times can be strong and other times, be shaky at best, it can lead to complications. There are too many examples of him throwing off-balance and it leads to his passes sailing, which played a role in his high interception count his last season. I don't know how fixable his throwing motion is, but his footwork can be patched up with good coaching based off what he's shown us.

The number one thing that scares people about Winston is his off-field issues. Winston makes a lot of immature decisions despite the scrutiny he was constantly over. The Bucs must have faith that he will.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby xgamr » Mar 29, '15, 7:27 am

With the second pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select...

Leonard Williams, Defensive End, USC

While I do think Mariota could also be Drafted here since the Titans could use a different QB if the have no faith in Mettenberger. But thinking about other needs, another one that stick out is a pass rusher. and that is why I went with Williams.

At USC, He played to a level to be up for many different awards. His physical attributes are also what makes him worthy to be drafted this high. the 34 5/8 arm length will be a big plus. He has shown a good closing speed which is needed. He has also played different spots on the line that can be helpful. Although his weaknesses can hurt him such as going from run stopping to rushing the pass, his talent and strengths more valuable .

He is still raw to help become a better rusher, His strength and his play make him a good # 2 pick.

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby xgamr » Mar 29, '15, 8:15 am

With the third pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Amari Cooper, Wide Receiver, Alabama,

I was stuck between Fowler Jr and Coope. After thinking more, Cooper is the better choice.

Bortles showed an upside with his play last year with the talent around him. Yes i could of gone O-line here but with who is left on the board, Cooper makes a better choice.

A Biletnikoff Award winner, All-American and SEc player of the year. Cooper showed greatness at Bama. He has great speed and knows how to get away from defenders. another plus is not being afraid of going into the middle. He does drop the ball at times, but they can be improved on.

Overall, He is a great pick to help Bortles and himself grow in to a great QB/WR combo and help the jaguars improve and be a contender in the AFC south

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby The Legend » Mar 29, '15, 9:51 am

Alright, I'll kick some discussion off here about the first three picks we've seen. About Winston, I still think my own personal preference if I were the Bucs would be to draft Mariota and it's pretty much all about on field performance. High turnover guys in college are usually high turnover guys in the pros. Just ask Andrew Luck who averaged 1 interception and 1 fumble per game this season. However, I realize I'm bucking conventional wisdom at this point and Winston will be the first pick.

On the Titans pick, I actually think we can't possibly get this pick right. It makes sense that Tennessee will pass on Mariota because he doesn't fit that offense, but somebody is going to trade up to take him. With Washington, the Jets and Chicago all right around each other and teams like Cleveland lurking a little lower someone will make the big move. Also, I think it's important to note that Williams isn't really a pass rusher so if that's what the Titans are after they'd be further ahead with Fowler or Gregory or Beasley.

As for the Jaguars, I think Cooper makes a lot of sense for them. They need to score more points if they are going to compete for a playoff spot and that's the bottom line, but I don't think they will go there. I think Dante Fowler will be the guy.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby xgamr » Mar 29, '15, 10:25 am

sorry if i got it wrong I've might of been misreading his bios and stuff when i was doing my picks. but if Titans keep pick, he would be a good fit from what I've been reading

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby The Legend » Mar 29, '15, 10:33 am

xgamr wrote:sorry if i got it wrong I've might of been misreading his bios and stuff when i was doing my picks. but if Titans keep pick, he would be a good fit from what I've been reading

Oh yeah and I doubt you got it wrong. Williams is the best defensive player in the draft. He's just not really a pass rusher. He's more of a run stuffer and a guy that can collapse the pocket so the pass rushers can get the quarterback kind of guy. Don't take it the wrong way, I was just trying to include some discussion into the picks.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby xgamr » Mar 29, '15, 10:36 am

yeah. i seem to do that alot.

interesting to see where mariota goes here and in the real draft.

and if i can get one of my picks right again like last year.

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby The Legend » Mar 30, '15, 10:43 am

Since he is out of town I put CMPUNKFAN's pick into the mock draft that he sent me ahead of time.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 01, '15, 5:42 am

@SKS

Your pick was up yesterday, do you have a selection for the Redskins?

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Apr 01, '15, 7:44 am

I'll wait on mine until I find out who SKS has picked.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SKS » Apr 01, '15, 8:38 am

With the 5th pick of the NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select...

Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon Ducks

I was surprised to see Mariota not taken by the Titans, so I went with him here at 5. I felt that in a league where you really need to take a chance on getting a franchise QB, the Redskins would take Mariota if he's still there at 5. Heisman Trophy winner, has had an amazing college career in a great offensive system. Will that translate to the NFL? I don't know.

But I think it's clear that the Redskins have given up on Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins. From benching RGIII to benching Kirk Cousins, the Redskins looked the most comfortable with Colt McCoy. Kirk Cousins has looked decent at times but has proven he's really not that great. RGIII has been injured often, has regressed after a pretty great rookie season and I don't see him having much chemistry with Jay Gruden (I think they pretty much hate each other on the inside) and it seems Gruden is being committed to by the organization.

The Redskins have brought Mariota in for private workouts, so the interest is there. They aren't going to win a Super Bowl next year, and probably not contend for one for a while. I think if he's there, you might as well take him and hope to build around him on offense.

I was leaning towards either Kevin White or Amari Cooper if Mariota wasn't taken because the Redskins could use a WR to pair with DeSean Jackson who can be inconsistent. I think they will end up with one of them in the actual draft, because I think Mariota is going at #2. EDIT: For some reason I thought Garcon was released. I think they could still use another weapon though, but got to have someone to throw it.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Next

Return to NFL