It is currently: May 04, '24, 6:39 am

NFL Free Agency, Draft, etc. news (Brandon Albert to Miami)

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

NFL Free Agency, Draft, etc. news (Brandon Albert to Miami)

Postby Messiah » Feb 26, '14, 10:43 pm

Last edited by Messiah on Mar 11, '14, 2:02 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: NFL Free Agency, Draft, etc. news (Riley Cooper re-signed)

Postby Everlong » Feb 26, '14, 11:02 pm

hopefully organized by me in this post (but don't count on it!).

:lol

4 year deal for Cooper is a bit of a surprise. What were his stats like this year? Didn't think he was worth a commitment of that length. Good for him though.

Also, what kind of effect do you think Gross's retirement will have on the Panthers?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Messiah » Feb 26, '14, 11:22 pm

Everlong wrote:Also, what kind of effect do you think Gross's retirement will have on the Panthers?

I will just say this. If Carolina makes the postseason next season, Ron Rivera is the best head coach in the NFL or Cam Newton went to an even higher level than before. That team has so many issues because of their ex-GM Marty Hurney that I feel bad for Gettleman, who is doing as good of a job as he can to try and build a long-term contender. The media doesn't do their homework so most of the NFL does not understand the issues currently with Carolina's team but here is the rundown in its simplest form (I know you only asked about JG's retirement but it kind of connects).

Jordan Gross retiring leaves Carolina with 2 of its 3 best offensive lineman off the team. And it wasn't a strong unit to begin with. They have nobody on the team capable of playing left tackle partially because there is only one tackle on the team with actual in-game experience in the first place, and he isn't even a high quality right tackle. This is a deep tackle class in the draft but Carolina is picking at 28th in which the three best tackles won't fall far enough. This is a deep left tackle class in free agency as well but Carolina doesn't have any money. Mind you, I guess if you googled and saw they had $19 or so million of cap space available, you would think I was lying to you. But that is only because Carolina has 21 free agents. 3 of their starting DBs from last year are FAs, leaving only UDFA Melvin White as a starter in the secondary currently. Greg Hardy is as good as gone. I have never seen a player so public about his intentions to follow the green trail. Hardy has openly admitted several times he will go to whichever team offers him the most money. Maybe they would be fine if it wasn't for the fact they will need to figure out what to do with Cam Newton soon as well. He is the franchise quarterback and is a clear priority, but what is crippling them as well is the ridiculous contracts given to DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Even worse than both of those contracts, however, was one given to Steve Smith, who is due $7m in 2014 and $10m in 2015. Basically, barring him agreeing to a paycut or voiding his contract before the 2015 season (cutting him doesn't really help them this year but it is the future that matters; Smith is below average at best nowadays), he will be cut.

Which leads to another issue. If Steve Smith is cut, Carolina's top 4 wide receivers from last year will no longer be on the roster. So, yeah. They are paying 2 RBs a shit ton of money and yet they haven't had a quality running game since 2011. So basically Carolina is a team with a bunch of free agents, players who they will need to extend soon (Cam Newton and in 2015, Luke Kuechly), and very limited cap space. Marty Hurney ruined them.

What Gross' retirement now does for Carolina is make trying to repair them and make them a playoff contender in 2014 in an ultra-competitive NFC conference as tough as any front office job in the NFL. They wanted Gross back because they are suffering from dead money because of him this upcoming season I believe despite his contract voiding and now they have a gigantic hole in an offensive line that has a bunch of question marks. It is unreasonable to expect the defense to perform as well as it did last year again in '14, where for majority of the season it was on par and at times better than Seattle's defense, and Newton honestly has no chance with his surrounding cast. It is why I always found it a joke when people criticized Newton for Carolina's lack of success. Cam Newton is the offense in Carolina. And with Jordan Gross retiring and Smith's likely release (but I do think there is a chance they find a way to keep him in town), it takes a ton of veteran presence out of the locker room and it doesn't help with a good amount of starters leaving. I think Gettleman is a fantastic GM for them but he has been thrown in a tough situation as has Rivera. It's going to take one hell of a coaching job to get them back to the postseason next year.

4 year deal for Cooper is a bit of a surprise. What were his stats like this year? Didn't think he was worth a commitment of that length. Good for him though.

Depends on the money, but Cooper did have a solid season. Showed the ability to get open for Foles and had 47 receptions for 800+ yards and 8 TDs. He isn't anything special but a guy you like to have around for your offense because he is reliable.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Feb 27, '14, 6:00 am

Also, Jerry Jones has said that the Cowboys will most likely release DeMarcus Ware.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Feb 27, '14, 1:59 pm

A source informed of the negotiations tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that Kelce's six-year extension is worth $37.5 million with $13 million guaranteed and an annual average of $6.25 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -contracts

Kelce has proven to be a top 3 center in the NFL over the past 2 years.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Re: NFL Free Agency, Draft, etc. news (Jason Kelce extended)

Postby Everlong » Feb 27, '14, 3:16 pm

The Legend wrote:Also, Jerry Jones has said that the Cowboys will most likely release DeMarcus Ware.

Whaaaat? I'm assuming he's declined in skill? I had no idea. If so, that's a really fast drop-off.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Messiah » Feb 27, '14, 3:22 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:Also, Jerry Jones has said that the Cowboys will most likely release DeMarcus Ware.

Whaaaat? I'm assuming he's declined in skill? I had no idea. If so, that's a really fast drop-off.

Not just that but he's injury prone, old, and costs way too much money. Just one of those moves that unfortunately has to be done if a team expects to be competitive.

I've heard Polamalu could get released too.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 27, '14, 5:09 pm

Jets are expected to cut Santonio Holmes. Probably about time. Always injured and never lives up to expectations.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Feb 27, '14, 6:06 pm

Everlong wrote:Jets are expected to cut Santonio Holmes. Probably about time. Always injured and never lives up to expectations.

And really old. I remember when he played at Ohio State like 100 years ago. (or 8-10)

World Champion
World Champion

Postby motionmann » Feb 28, '14, 12:05 am

I'm really hoping Seattle can keep Tate, Baldwin, and Bennent. However, realistically I see them only keeping two. Don't ask me which two I'd want to keep however because I love all three of them. Going to be hard to see one of them walk. :(

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby The Legend » Feb 28, '14, 5:12 am

motionmann wrote:I'm really hoping Seattle can keep Tate, Baldwin, and Bennent. However, realistically I see them only keeping two. Don't ask me which two I'd want to keep however because I love all three of them. Going to be hard to see one of them walk. :(

I'll make it easy for you. You need Bennett, the defensive line and the pressure they apply is what makes Seattle as good as they are. This draft is incredibly deep at WR you'll find someone to replace and probably be better than Tate or Baldwin.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Romo » Feb 28, '14, 10:59 am

Everlong wrote:

not really, I mean he missed 3 games last season and always seemed to be battling injuries when playing, finished with 6.5 sacks which was down 5 from the season before, it's Jerry Jones being a idiot again, a few days prior he said that he couldn't "fathom" a Cowboys defense without DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys are rumoured to be around $21million over the salary cap and cutting Ware would cut it by around $8million.

All in all it is mostly down to the fact that Jerry Jones hasn't been able to handle the salary cap and now its coming back to bite him in butt and could end up losing one of the best pass rushers in the NFL!

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby SKS » Feb 28, '14, 11:35 am

Good moves for the Eagles so far. :clap

Kelce and Peters are great lineman, and Cooper is a pretty good receiver. I think only 5 or 7 mil is guaranteed.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby The Legend » Feb 28, '14, 11:47 am

Apparently the Browns are also planning on cutting starting DE Ahtyba Rubin. Rubin can really play, man I hate it when a new regime comes in and decides it needs their own toys and not the former regime's players.

World Champion
World Champion

Re: NFL Free Agency, Draft, etc. news (Greg Hardy tagged)

Postby Messiah » Feb 28, '14, 3:38 pm

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/sta ... 0775674880

Panthers will be tagging Hardy.

There goes a nice chunk of their cap space. Interesting to see how they approach this. I imagine they will try to get a long term deal done.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Feb 28, '14, 3:40 pm

Eagles re-sign Jeremy Maclin to a 1 year deal

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 4164212736

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Feb 28, '14, 3:41 pm

^^^ Yeah, it's just an extension of their negotiating time.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Feb 28, '14, 3:47 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ Yeah, it's just an extension of their negotiating time.

Yeah, I think they will try to spread out the money a good amount.

Also, Pitta and Ravens agree to a 5 year deal worth $32 million. Some other news put into the opening post.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 28, '14, 4:55 pm

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Feb 28, '14, 8:21 pm

As far as the Packers go, multiple sources are saying BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett will both not be re-signed. Johnny Jolly on the other hand...

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Next

Return to NFL