It is currently: Apr 24, '24, 1:18 am

Did Newton throw the pick because he expected offsides penalty?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Did Newton throw the pick because he expected offsides penalty?

Postby Messiah » Jan 13, '14, 9:46 pm

Discuss. I noticed it in the game but damn it is more blatant looking at it now than ever.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Did Newton throw the pick because he expected offsides penalty?

Postby JPG619 » Jan 13, '14, 10:24 pm

He should not of expected the call, I don't follow football but sometimes things go unnoticed in sports

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 29

Postby Everlong » Jan 13, '14, 11:09 pm

Yeah, I think that definitely could be. But with the way the refs completely botched that game, he should have never expected a call to go in the Panthers' favor haha.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Jan 14, '14, 6:33 am

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed on that play too. I was like "Free Play!" and then nothing happened.

JPG619 wrote:He should not of expected the call, I don't follow football but sometimes things go unnoticed in sports

The offsides call in football is almost impossible to miss. A defender moves before the offense moves and there's two officals staring at the line of scrimmage before anything happens.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Romo » Jan 14, '14, 11:32 am

Aren't all turnovers reviewed? If so shouldn't it have been brought back anyway because he was offside or does that not count?

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Everlong » Jan 14, '14, 11:33 am

Romo wrote:Aren't all turnovers reviewed? If so shouldn't it have been brought back anyway because he was offside or does that not count?

I don't think they can go back and call penalties after reviews if they hadn't already called the penalty.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Romo » Jan 14, '14, 11:37 am

Everlong wrote:
Romo wrote:Aren't all turnovers reviewed? If so shouldn't it have been brought back anyway because he was offside or does that not count?

I don't think they can go back and call penalties after reviews if they hadn't already called the penalty.

I see, they should really in a game of this importance, I mean he's not even close to not being offside

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby The Legend » Jan 14, '14, 12:05 pm

Romo wrote:
Everlong wrote:

I see, they should really in a game of this importance, I mean he's not even close to not being offside

Penalties aren't a reviewable call and that's the way it should be. I mean could you imagine reviewing every big offensive play looking for a holding? You'd find one on every play and the ball would never move up the field.

Now all that being said, it's an incredibly egregious mistake to miss that penalty, it was easy to see.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to NFL