It is currently: Jun 03, '24, 7:54 pm

Tampa Bay and Houston hire their coaches

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Tampa Bay and Houston hire their coaches

Postby Everlong » Jan 01, '14, 8:24 pm

Tampa Bay hired Lovie Smith, former head coach of the Bears, who got his big break in the NFL as defensive coordinator for the Bucs under Tony Dungy.

Houston hired Bill O'Brien, coach of Penn State University and former offensive coordinator under Bill Belichick.

Two really solid hires, IMO. I think Lovie is perfect for what the Bucs need. He'll bring the Tampa 2 back and get that defense performing at the level it needs. While he's not a particularly good in-game coach, he'll at least yield some competitive teams there.

O'Brien is a bit more of a mystery, especially given the iffy history of Belichick assistants as head coaches in the NFL. But I think given the roster that Houston has, he'll be well set up to find some early success there.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Tampa Bay and Houston hire their coaches

Postby The Legend » Jan 01, '14, 9:42 pm

Really like both of those hires. If Houston nails their QB situation with the first pick this year they could be back in the playoffs next season.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby motionmann » Jan 01, '14, 10:22 pm

Lovie Smith with that Tampa defense! :o

Not sure about how their O will be but that defense is going to be legit!

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby Messiah » Jan 02, '14, 12:11 am

Will be interesting how Lovie Smith's adjusts his defense with Darrelle Revis at corner. Revis, while still very good in zone, is best suited in man coverage and that is where he proves to be the best corner in the NFL still. Plus, Revis was frustrated with the amount of zone he played this past season.

Smith is a great coordinator and I think he'll adjust to fit the strengths of his players. I really like the fit for him, though. Barron and Goldson at safety and McCoy (he's PERFECT for this defense) on the defensive line. They need to invest in a couple of edge rushers, though. Interested in seeing what they do with Clayborn, someone who couldn't get back to his rookie level after an injury and one that doesn't really fit that defense well in my opinion.

Oh and Lavonte David. Stud. Looks like Marinelli will come in and be the DC, assuming Dallas allows it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Kyle » Jan 02, '14, 11:11 am

I think Lovie could do good things in Tampa.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby blackparade » Jan 05, '14, 6:45 am

O'Brien fired Wade Phillips and Rick Dennison, so we'll have a new OC and DC next year. Clean house! I like it.

blackparade Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 1

Return to NFL