It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 9:37 pm

Have your thoughts on Chip Kelly changed?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Have your thoughts on Chip Kelly changed?

Postby Messiah » Dec 27, '13, 9:55 am

I know a lot of people were hesitant on Kelly entering the NFL and in a way, rightfully so. But Kelly is proving why he is the best offensive genius to enter the league in a very long time. Philadelphia, despite starting Vick a good portion of the season, are 2nd in the NFL in PPG and on their way to an NFC East title in their first year. One could argue Kelly doesn't even have his ideal scheme fits yet. And defense has steadily gotten better as the season has worn on.

He does what he did at Oregon and that is put his players in the best position to succeed. This offense does not make a lot of mistakes.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Have your thoughts on Chip Kelly changed?

Postby The Legend » Dec 27, '13, 10:14 am

The thing that changed my mind was seeing what he could do with Nick Foles at quarterback. I'll stand by my comments that a QB won't survive and thrive long term running the kind of scheme Kelly ran at Oregon, but the fact that he can get the most out of a drop back passer like Foles is what changes my mind. That's what tells me he isn't just a gimmick. I actually hope they move forward with Foles and keep this kind of scheme, I think trying to get "better fits" for his system would take Philly a step backwards.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Dec 27, '13, 10:18 am

I think I've changed my mind on what he can do on the offensive side of things, but not in terms of what it does for his entire team. The Eagles are dead last in time of possession, and that's just not sustainable on the defensive side.

But my goodness, he's absolutely gotten the most out of that offense, and Nick Foles in particular, in a way that I would not have expected on him entering the league. Though I doubt the Eagles become a championship caliber team under Kelly, they've certainly become exciting.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Dec 27, '13, 11:39 am

Everlong wrote:I think I've changed my mind on what he can do on the offensive side of things, but not in terms of what it does for his entire team. The Eagles are dead last in time of possession, and that's just not sustainable on the defensive side.

But my goodness, he's absolutely gotten the most out of that offense, and Nick Foles in particular, in a way that I would not have expected on him entering the league. Though I doubt the Eagles become a championship caliber team under Kelly, they've certainly become exciting.

They also score on nearly half of their possessions, which is only why I believe they are capable of sustaining that. If you can put that kind of pressure on the opposing offense then your defense gets help from that offense trying to do more than it's capable of on each possession. If that defense can hold the opponent scoreless in the first quarter there's a good chance that they are already down two touchdowns or more.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 27, '13, 1:48 pm

Everlong wrote:I think I've changed my mind on what he can do on the offensive side of things, but not in terms of what it does for his entire team. The Eagles are dead last in time of possession, and that's just not sustainable on the defensive side.

Pretty much how I feel. I need to see another year or so out of him where he coaches against at least one good divisional team.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Kyle » Dec 28, '13, 2:10 pm

Everything changed with that team when Foles came in as the starter. Kelly has handled him very well.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Return to NFL