It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:18 pm

Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Jan 03, '18, 12:32 pm

Welcome to the NFL Playoffs!!!

Most of you should know how this goes by now. For the first two weeks of the playoffs, correct points are worth 3 and correct upsets are worth 5. There’s no limit to the number of upsets you can get credit for, meaning there’s a max of 20 points each week of the playoffs.

With this in mind, here we go!

GAME OF THE WEEK – Saturday at 8:15 EST - Atlanta Falcons (10-6) at Los Angeles Rams (11-5), LAR by 6.5 – This is shaping up to be one heck of a battle between two teams that have the capability of putting up a lot of points. You gotta feel as though Atlanta is much happier facing Los Angeles on the road than New Orleans. The big difference maker here is that the Rams have the better defense, meaning that even if the Falcons’ offense heats up to its capabilities (which it hasn’t done a whole lot this year) the Rams are in a much better position to slow them down. Of all the teams playing this weekend, I feel like the Rams have the best chance of advancing to the Super Bowl, and it begins here. Rams 27, Falcons 24

Saturday at 4:30 EST – Tennessee Titans (9-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-6), KC by 8.5 – Fun fact: Vegas actually gives the Titans worse odds to win the Super Bowl now than it did before the season started. Hard to see any chance of the Titans coming in and picking up a win on the road against a Chiefs team that recovered well from a midseason swoon. Chiefs 31, Titans 13

Sunday at 1:00 EST – Buffalo Bills (9-7) at Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6), JAX by 8 – Two teams that haven’t been to the playoffs in a long time. Whichever one wins is the team I’m rallying behind in the AFC. The difference is the Bills are just happy to be here, whereas the Jags have a legitimate chance at making some noise. Jaguars 27, Bills 14

Sunday at 4:40 EST – Carolina Panthers (11-5) at New Orleans Saints (11-5), NO by 6.5 – This is going to be another hard-fought contest, and the fact that it’s divisional foes adds some extra oomph to the matchup. The Saints are just so well-balanced this year that it’s hard to pick against them at home. The Panthers are going to have to play mistake-free football to have a shot. Saints 27, Panthers 20

So call me boring, but no upset picks for me this week!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Jan 03, '18, 1:49 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Saturday at 8:15 EST - Atlanta Falcons (10-6) at Los Angeles Rams (11-5), LAR by 6.5 – This is definitely the most interesting game of the weekend. The Falcons have hit their stride after a slow start, winning six of their last eight games and having their offense regain much of last year's Super Bowl running form. That being said, the Rams are the most dominant team in the NFC that enter the playoffs with their starting QB healthy. The winner of this game could gear up for a Super Bowl run, it should be an odd environment with no homefield advantage for the Rams. LA Rams 27, Atlanta Falcons 21

Saturday at 4:30 EST – Tennessee Titans (9-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-6), KC by 8.5 – I'll make this short and sweet, the wild card winners in the AFC this year are incredibly soft. The Titans in particular played a crappy schedule, which helped them get above .500. The Chiefs should take care of business in this one, after recovering from their midseason doldrums quite nicely over the past month. KC Chiefs 24, Tennessee Titans 20

Sunday at 1:00 EST – Buffalo Bills (9-7) at Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6), JAX by 8 – Previous comments all apply. At some point Blake Bortles is going to remember he is Blake Bortles and screw up the Jags run of dominant defense. That will likely be against Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady though, not against Tyrod Taylor. Jacksonville Jaguars 24, Buffalo Bills 16

Sunday at 4:40 EST – Carolina Panthers (11-5) at New Orleans Saints (11-5), NO by 6.5 – The Saints have been Superman Cam Newton and the Panthers' kryptonite this season and with a win this weekend would account for half of Carolina's losses this season. After seeing the past two games, I don't think a different result is in the cards. NO Saints 31, Carolina Panthers 20

I'm just as boring as Tim, no upsets. Only upset I could see would be Atlanta against the Rams if the youth of LA proved costly, but I won't go with it.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Jan 03, '18, 9:58 pm

I'd bet my life the Saints win.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jan 04, '18, 9:43 am

The Legend wrote:I'm just as boring as Tim, no upsets. Only upset I could see would be Atlanta against the Rams if the youth of LA proved costly, but I won't go with it.

Yeah, I'm with you there -- this is the only one I can see possibly going either way. The Bills and the Titans are just such weak playoff teams, there are a few teams in the NFC that missed out that would probably put up a better fight than either of them. The Panthers playing in New Orleans was about the worst possible draw for that team.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Jan 04, '18, 12:02 pm

Los Angeles
Kansas City
Jacksonville
Carolina - It is tough to beat any team 3 times in one season.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Jan 04, '18, 1:27 pm

DBSoT wrote:Carolina - It is tough to beat any team 3 times in one season.

The rarity of one team beating another team three times isn't in the difficulty of the playoff matchup, but more purely in the oddity that a team bad enough to lose to the same team twice is less likely to qualify for the playoffs and the seedings rarely line up for those two teams to meet.

From 1990 to 2016, 16 teams met in the playoffs against an opponent that they had already beaten twice. The winning team was 11-5 in those instances. To beat a team twice in the regular season is to showcase your dominance over that team. The superior team should and usually does win the final confrontation.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby xgamr » Jan 06, '18, 6:48 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Saturday at 8:15 EST - Atlanta Falcons (10-6) at Los Angeles Rams (11-5), LAR by 6.5 – Rams

Saturday at 4:30 EST – Tennessee Titans (9-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-6), KC by 8.5 –Chiefs

Sunday at 1:00 EST – Buffalo Bills (9-7) at Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6), JAX by 8 – UPSET Bills

Sunday at 4:40 EST – Carolina Panthers (11-5) at New Orleans Saints (11-5), NO by 6.5 – Saints

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby blackparade » Jan 06, '18, 7:10 am

Rams
Chiefs
BILLS UPSET
Saints

Jacksonville loses solely because of the teal beer. Why mess with beer?

blackparade Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 1

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 06, '18, 9:14 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Saturday at 8:15 EST - Atlanta Falcons (10-6) at Los Angeles Rams (11-5), LAR by 6.5 – RAMS

Saturday at 4:30 EST – Tennessee Titans (9-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-6), KC by 8.5 – KANSAS CITY

Sunday at 1:00 EST – Buffalo Bills (9-7) at Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6), JAX by 8 – UPSET!! BUFFALO

Sunday at 4:40 EST – Carolina Panthers (11-5) at New Orleans Saints (11-5), NO by 6.5 – NEW ORLEANS

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby xgamr » Jan 06, '18, 6:54 pm

oh chiefs

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Jan 06, '18, 10:39 pm

Well I'm feeling really good about my intelligence after strongly predicting there'd be no upsets this weekend.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Jan 07, '18, 1:06 am

I figured the Titans would win once the Chiefs got a 21-3 lead. You can always count on an Andy Reid coached football team to screw up a big lead. Dude's situational football and ability to adjust is terrible.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jan 07, '18, 9:36 am

Damn. The Chiefs under Andy Reid have TWICE given up 18+ point playoff leads. That's only been done two other times in NFL history.

Andy Reid just knows how to choke.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby JDD » Jan 07, '18, 10:13 am

Jags
Saints

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Return to NFL