It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 6:07 am

Legend's NFL Mock Draft

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Legend's NFL Mock Draft

Postby The Legend » Apr 27, '17, 11:17 am

1. Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett, defensive end, Texas A&M

The Browns have a myriad of needs and the draft capital to address many of them. They have the opportunity to make a step forward on both sides of the ball that’s desperately needed. That progress must start with Garrett, an impact pass rusher that could be a piece that helps everything else fall in line. Adding Garrett to a line that includes Shelton, Des Bryant and Ogbah is suddenly much more impactful than a year ago. Add in Nassib, Meder and others and there’s a chance to stop the run and get a pass rush that should make the defensive backfield better without even an upgrade there.

2. San Francisco 49ers: Solomon Thomas, defensive end, Stanford

The Niners are also in a position to need a whole lot of help to get better. Thomas is a guy whose athletic gifts aren’t what Garrett’s are, but his motor and technique might be even a little bit cleaner. Either way I expect both guys to be immediate impact players and that’s what the Browns and Niners need.

3. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Allen, defensive linemen, Alabama

The Bears had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last season, rank 24th in scoring and allowed too much time for opposing quarterbacks. The versatile Allen should help in each area as a super lineman that can move around and take advantage of matchups and schematics to cause maximum problems for the opponents.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Fournette, running back, LSU

The Jaguars appear ready to give Blake Bortles a final chance to prove he can take this offense to the next level. If that’s the approach then they need to do better than 21st in rushing offense and a stable of backs all incapable of crossing 40 yards per game. Personally, I’d go with Cook or McCaffrey before Fournette, but I think Jacksonville will go with the throwback prototype running back in the LSU rusher.

5. Tennessee Titans: Jamal Adams, safety, LSU

The Titans were the second worst pass defense in the NFL last season and desperately need an upgrade on that side of the ball to balance out the growing offense led by Mariota. Adams is cast as only a box safety and thumper, but his coverage skills are underrated and he should make an impact on tight ends and slot receivers.

6. New York Jets: Marshon Lattimore, cornerback, Ohio State

With guys like Mo Claiborne and Buster Skrine looking like they might be the starting corners right now, Lattimore gives the Jets barren secondary the kind of upgrade it will need next season as it moves on from the days of Revis Island. The former Buckeye could be the type of guy that replaces Revis and does so without much drop off for his new team.

7. San Diego Chargers: Malik Hooker, safety, Ohio State

The run on secondary members in a deep defensive back class continues as the best big time playmaker on the defensive side of the ball in this draft goes to San Diego, who has been searching for a playmaking safety to replace Eric Weddle. Hooker is the classic nose for the ball centerfielder in the defensive backfield that will increase the play of the Chargers corners.

8. Carolina Panthers: Christian McCaffrey, running back, Stanford

Jonathan Stewart isn’t getting younger and nobody else in Carolina can really carry the weight to help Cam Newton develop a two-dimensional offense. McCaffrey is a multi-threat weapon that is perfect for the modern-day NFL and could be all the more dangerous with a quarterback like Newton to run any number of offensive styles.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Reuben Foster, middle linebacker, Alabama

The Bengals could use an upgrade on the defensive side of the ball as they try to get back to the type of football that helped them consistently make the playoffs before last season. Foster is one of the most talented players in the draft and should be able to chase run and pass plays as well as take on plays coming right at him.

10. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, wide receiver, Clemson

The Bills acquire their second Clemson wide receiver standout. Williams paired with Sammy Watkins should actually perform a playmaking duo that will rank up there with the best in the league as they try to get the most out of Tyrod Taylor at quarterback. Williams is a physical receiver who can break free in the open field and attack the ball in a crowd.

11. New Orleans Saints: Gareon Conley, cornerback, Ohio State

The Saints are barren at cornerback and Gareon Conley is an instant upgrade and probable #1 starter for them as they try to build a defense that can stop anyone in the NFL, something that has eluded them for pretty much the entirety of the Drew Brees/Sean Payton era in the Bayou.

12. Cleveland Browns: Mitchell Trubisky, quarterback, North Carolina

Any of the optimum Cleveland Browns draft scenarios for me begin with getting Myles Garrett and Trubisky on Thursday night. Anything else is some level of a disappointment. Trubisky isn’t the most experienced prospect and people that obsess over physical traits won’t like Trubisky, but he’s shown in one season that he can develop the most important QB traits in a way nobody else in the class can. He’s smart, reads defenses and processes information quickly. Given the right coaching I believe Trubisky can learn to beat defenses before the ball is snapped.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Pat Mahomes, quarterback, Texas Tech

The Cardinals window for contention has slammed shut, they have gone as far as Carson Palmer will take them. Palmer can hold the fort and mentor Mahomes for a couple years while he develops, but the team will transition to him smoothly. Mahomes has the physical gifts and the coaching from Arians and Palmer will get him ready mentally and coach some of the gunslinger out of him.

14. Philadelphia Eagles: Marlon Humphrey, cornerback, Alabama

The Eagles need an upgrade defensively, and in their secondary in particular, in order to take the next step in contention. Humphrey is a physical specimen who has the technique to play a very effective corner in the NFL.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: Legend's NFL Mock Draft

Postby The Legend » Apr 27, '17, 11:17 am

15. Indianapolis Colts: Takk McKinley, defensive end, UCLA

I wouldn’t be surprised for the Colts to take an offensive tackle here to actually try to protect Andrew Luck, but they haven’t yet, so why start now? Indy has struggled on the other side of the line, barely averaging two sacks a game last season. McKinley is very quick and attacks every play with aggressiveness. He should upgrade the Colts pass rush immediately.

16. Baltimore Ravens: Corey Davis, wide receiver, Western Michigan

The Ravens could use a big play wide receiver that attacks downfield to maximize Joe Flacco’s strong arm and allows Baltimore to take the greatest advantage of the play action passing game that could help their run attack blossom. Davis dominated MAC competition and has the athletic gifts to take his game to the next level in the NFL.

17. Washington Redskins: Haason Reddick, linebacker, Temple

Reddick is a player that has become more productive and dominant each year with the Owls. Reddick can move around the linebacking corps a bit in Washington’s 3-4 scheme to become as impactful as possible. Washington could use a versatile defender to upgrade their front seven and Reddick could be a guy that creates big plays for the defense and limits the opposition’s big plays.

18. Tennessee Titans: John Ross, wide receiver, Washington

John Ross is an amazing athlete who will give the Titan offense a top-flight weapon and allow them to open things up and be a more versatile attack moving forward. While he might not spring out of the gate right away because of injury, Ross is a guy that will pay off in the end for Tennessee.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dalvin Cook, running back, Florida State

Dalvin Cook is a can’t miss prospect as an athletic talent and could be a great value for Tampa Bay at this point in the first round, as long as he remains available. He’s gotta avoid trouble off the field and injuries on it, but the numerous ways he can hurt a defense and help the Buc offense become even better with Jameis Winston at quarterback.

20. Denver Broncos: Ryan Ramczyk, offensive tackle, Wisconsin

Crazy that the draft has gone this far into the first round and an offensive lineman hasn’t gone yet. Ramczyk is an interesting prospect and definitely has a chance to be the first lineman taken. Part of that is just the state of offensive line play in college and the lack of development at that level for a guy this inexperienced to be on par and part of it is just Ramczyk’s natural talents.

21. Detroit Lions: T.J. Watt, defensive lineman, Wisconsin

If Watt can fill his potential he could be an impact player for the Lions and even if he doesn’t quite get there he should be a safe pick that will hold his own and be a contributor to that Detroit defense as they try to become a consistent playoff contender.

22. Miami Dolphins: Forrest Lamp, offensive guard, Western Kentucky

The Dolphins could use some help in the offensive line to give Tannehill some more protection and a guard like Lamp can not only protect him, but is an athlete that can be an asset in the offense as a run blocker that can get downfield to help Miami’s blooming run offense.

23. New York Giants: Cam Robinson, offensive tackle, Alabama

Robinson is probably the safest offensive line prospect in this draft class. He’s got the size and ability to be solid right out of the gate. Not sure that he’ll be able to be an automatic cornerstone, but on an offensive line that’s already developing like is in New York he should fit in well.

24. Oakland Raiders: Jarrad Davis, linebacker, Florida

Jarrad Davis and Khalil Mack in the same linebacker corps is the stuff that gives opposing coaches and quarterbacks nightmares. Davis has the ability to escape blocks quickly and then has a nose for the football once he’s running free and can close space quickly.

25. Houston Texans: DeShone Kizer, quarterback, Notre Dame

The Texans need a quarterback badly and with DeShone and Deshaun on the board they go with the more prototypical quarterback that comes from the pro-style offense. Kizer is probably the most ready to take over an offense right away and Houston is a team ready to win as soon as they have a quarterback that can be competent in place. This seems like a great marriage.

26. Seattle Seahawks: Kevin King, cornerback, Washington

The Legion of Boom is starting to crack. Rumors abound that Richard Sherman may be on his way out of town and even if not, they need somebody across from him at the very least. They can find reinforcements just down the street at the university of Washington in King, who is quickly running up the draft board and should sneak into the back of Round 1 by next Thursday night.

27. Kansas City Chiefs: Zach Cunningham, linebacker, Vanderbilt

Cunningham is a highly productive player that should help the Chiefs continue to contend for playoff spots for years to come. Andy Reid and this organization know where they are at and what style of football they need to play to be successful with what they have and Cunningham fits that mold well. There’s people that think QB could be selected here, but I think they go with a more immediate need and hope to maximize what’s left of Alex Smith’s career.

28. Dallas Cowboys: Charles Harris, defensive lineman, Missouri

The Cowboys are set for the future on offense. Now they need to work on perfecting that defense so they can become the Super Bowl contender they seem to be approaching. Harris will be a guy that can generate a pass rush for Dallas in a multitude of ways.

World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 27, '17, 11:18 am

29. Green Bay Packers: Quincy Wilson, cornerback, Florida

The Packers have bottom of the barrel pathetic secondary play and Wilson should help that improve from Day 1. Green Bay can plug Wilson into the starting lineup and move on to bigger holes to fill.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jabrill Peppers, safety, Michigan

Pittsburgh’s zone defense employs the kind of free thinking that can maximize Peppers’ gifts and ability to make impact plays. The Steelers can plug him in and make him the type of strong safety in a Troy Polamalu mold where he’s attacking forward and a free-wheeling playmaker.

31. Atlanta Falcons: Jordan Willis, defensive end, Kansas State

Defense and pass rush in particular are far and away Atlanta’s biggest problem areas as they try to repeat as NFC champions and this time not blow the Super Bowl with more depth in their defense.

32. New Orleans Saints: Carl Lawson, defensive end, Auburn

After improving their secondary with their first pick on Thursday night, the Saints attack the pass rusher spot to close out the first round. The combination of Lawson and Conley should instantly upgrade one of the NFL’s bigger under-performing units in recent history.

33. Cleveland Browns: Evan Engram, tight end, Ole Miss

An upgrade at tight end will help Trubisky or whoever plays quarterback for the Browns develop this offense. Wide receiver is picked over pretty well at this point so an interior weapon who attacks the seams and is a definite upgrade over Gary Barnidge will boost Cleveland’s attack into one that actually resembles an NFL team.

34. San Francisco 49ers: Teez Tabor, cornerback, Florida
35. Jacksonville Jaguars: David Njoku, tight end, Miami
36. Chicago Bears: Deshaun Watson, quarterback, Clemson
37. LA Rams: Curtis Samuel, wide receiver, Ohio State
38. LA Chargers: Garrett Bolles, offensive tackle, Utah
39. NY Jets: Derek Barnett, defensive end, Tennessee
40. Carolina Panthers: Malik McDowell, defensive tackle, Michigan State
41. Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Mixon, running back, Oklahoma
42. New Orleans Saints: Raekwon McMillan, linebacker, Ohio State
43. Philadelphia Eagles: JuJu Smith-Schuster, wide receiver, USC
44. Buffalo Bills: Nathan Peterman, quarterback, Pitt
45. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Wormley, defensive tackle, Michigan
46. Indianapolis Colts: Samaje Perine, running back, Oklahoma
47. Baltimore Ravens: Jaleel Johnson, defensive tackle, Iowa
48. Minnesota Vikings: Dan Feeney, offensive guard, Indiana
49. Washington Redskins: Sidney Jones, cornerback, Washington
50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Budda Baker, safety, Washington
51. Denver Broncos: Cooper Kupp, wide receiver, Eastern Washington
52. Cleveland Browns: Obi Melifonwu, safety, UCONN

The Browns biggest need on defense is a safety that can play well in coverage and be a good tackler in space on the field. Melifonwu should be an upgrade over either safety Cleveland got used to playing last season.

53. Detroit Lions: Tyus Bowser, linebacker, Houston
54. Miami Dolphins: Taco Charlton, defensive end, Michigan
55. NY Giants: Alvin Kamara, running back, Tennessee
56. Oakland Raiders: Tim Williams, defensive end, Alabama
57. Houston Texans: Gerald Everett, tight end, South Alabama
58. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Jones, safety, NC State
59. Kansas City Chiefs: Adoree Jackson, cornerback, USC
60. Dallas Cowboys: Chidobe Awuzie, cornerback, Colorado
61. Green Bay Packers: Caleb Brantley, defensive end, Florida
62. Pittsburgh Steelers: Chris Godwin, wide receiver, Penn State
63. Atlanta Falcons: Nico Siragusa, offensive guard, San Diego State
64. Carolina Panthers: Antonio Garcia, offensive tackle, Troy
65. Cleveland Browns: Fabian Moreau, cornerback, UCLA

Browns continue to build on their defense with the first pick in the third round. Moreau will give Cleveland insurance if Joe Haden can’t find his health again and if he does recover, then Moreau can develop as the corner across from Haden until that retirement time does come.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Apr 27, '17, 3:35 pm

Unless I misread it, you completely missed OJ Howard.

My favorite picks:
- Myles Garrett at #1. This is obvious. He is the top player in the draft and it would be hard to miss on him,
- Jamal Adams to Tennessee. I am a big fan of Adams and think he can give the Titans a star at Safety
- Corey Davis to Baltimore. Davis is the best WR in the draft and a future star. He has everything you could want in a WR. Great ball skills, good speed, jumping ability, crisp route runner and is smart. If only he had gone to the right school. :D
- Haasan Reddick to Washington. I can't write enough good things about Reddick.
- Jarrad Davis to Oakland. Putting Davis with Mack is unfair.

My least favorite picks:
- Patrick Maholmes to Arizona. People really need to stop projecting air raid QBs as 1st rounders. Watson, Peterman and Kizer are all better.
- TJ Watt to the Lions. I actually don't hate this pick, but I see the Lions taking Jarrad Davis over Watt, if the draft falls as laid out.
- Malik McDowell to Carolina in the 2nd round. Even though I am fully aware of Malik's personality issues. He is still a physical freak and massive talent. He will be a 1st rounder.
- David Njoku getting drafted after Evan Engram. I have not seen this mocked anywhere else. So kudos, if it happens.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Apr 27, '17, 5:24 pm

Wow, not how I could have missed Howard. Well yes I am, I wrote most of this up at about 10 pm last night after not enough sleep this week. Anyhow, thanks for replying@DBSOT. Some thoughts on your comments.

I like all the guys you mentioned a lot too and think they'll fit well. Particularly I'll mention Cleveland's been looking for a guy to sack a QB for as long as they've been looking for a QB. I would say I think Williams is a little better than Davis, just from an athletic stand point. However, coming from a MAC school myself, I respect you backing your guy.

The only QB I really like and would really make a case for a team I cared about drafting this year is Trubisky. That being said I think you are underrating Mahomes. Watson is too much of a runner and too slight to be able to hold up in the NFL and Kizer has a missing link. Considering all the things going for him, there's a huge personality makeup piece missing for him that is preventing him from being a top flight guy and that's something you can't fix.

I don't dislike McDowell as a prospect and think his personality issues are probably a bit overblown. I just don't really see a team that's going to value a defensive tackle in the section of the first round he could go in.

Njoku and Engram are really close in my mind. I wouldn't be shocked to see Njoku go ahead of Engram, but both should be picked within a few picks of each other in the late first, early second rounds.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 28, '17, 2:34 pm

I know this is in hindsight since the first round is done.

I love the idea of Peterman to Buffalo. But in the 3rd not the second. Much rather grab a WR in the 2nd.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Return to NFL