It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 2:14 am

2017 Free Agency Thread

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Re: 2017 Free Agency Thread

Postby DBSoT » Mar 12, '17, 11:26 am

TJ Lang to the Lions for 3 year deal.
Bob Quinn is making me a believer. Between drafting and free agents, he has remade the O-line into a force. Taking a player from a division rival doesn't hurt either. I am actually optimistic for next season and the draft hasn't happened yet.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Mar 13, '17, 9:14 am

I'll miss Lang, but definitely not for that price -- guards are replaceable, he's on the backside of his career and he's coming off a significant injury. He might have another year or two left in him of playing at a starting level but he's definitely not a long-term solution any more.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Mar 13, '17, 12:36 pm

Everlong wrote:I'll miss Lang, but definitely not for that price -- guards are replaceable, he's on the backside of his career and he's coming off a significant injury. He might have another year or two left in him of playing at a starting level but he's definitely not a long-term solution any more.
You're are not going to miss a Pro Bowl RG? The money is a little high, but that is the nature of the NFL. I would argue that Lang and Wagner give the Lions the best O-line in the division and one of the best ones in the NFC. It is also a very young O-line, so even if Lang regresses in a couple years, they will only have to replace one position on the line.

*Edit* I do also realize that Rodgers makes an O-line better, so the Packers aren't dying for a huge replacement. However, Lang is a huge upgrade over Warford and Wagner is a huge upgrade over Reiff.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Messiah » Mar 13, '17, 12:57 pm

What happened to Warford? He was a beast his rookie year.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby DBSoT » Mar 13, '17, 1:58 pm

Messiah wrote:What happened to Warford? He was a beast his rookie year.
His play took a nosedive. He showed tons of promise to be a mauler as a rookie, but never lived up to the hype after. That might have had to do with the changes to the o-line and losing a leader in Raiola, but I just think he regressed as a player. It is possible that he resurrects his career under the right coach and teammates. New Orleans probably isn't that place though.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Mar 13, '17, 3:24 pm

No Lang, no Tretter, who is going to block for Rodgers next year?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Mar 14, '17, 7:26 am

DBSoT wrote:You're are not going to miss a Pro Bowl RG? The money is a little high, but that is the nature of the NFL. I would argue that Lang and Wagner give the Lions the best O-line in the division and one of the best ones in the NFC. It is also a very young O-line, so even if Lang regresses in a couple years, they will only have to replace one position on the line.

I just said I'll miss him, but I wouldn't have paid him that much. Guards are perhaps the most replaceable position on any team. I think it'll be a decent pickup for the Lions but I also think it would have been a mistake for the Packers to pay what it would have taken to keep him in GB.

The Legend wrote:No Lang, no Tretter, who is going to block for Rodgers next year?

Tretter wasn't a starter; he was Corey Linsley's backup and just was forced into playing a bit last year because of injuries. He's a good young player but often injured and would have cost too much to stay on in a depth capacity.

We're returning four of our five starters and have one of the better backups in the game in Jason Spriggs, who could potentially play guard or just continue filling a depth role. The Packers' offensive line is going to be just fine. It's the defense that concerns me.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Mar 14, '17, 12:18 pm

You know Tretter's a star in the making. Stop covering your pain ;)

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Previous

Return to NFL