It is currently: May 22, '24, 10:10 pm

Cleveland coaching search still ongoing

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Cleveland coaching search still ongoing

Postby Messiah » Dec 30, '13, 10:49 pm

Josh McDaniels as HC, Mike Lombardi as GM, and Johnny Manziel as your top five selection...

I don't know how legitimate Manziel is but McDaniels is all but guaranteed. He is close with Lombardi and leaked news to him while he was head coach in Denver. They have requested to interview him I believe.

Poor Browns fans.

Last edited by Messiah on Jan 14, '14, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Cleveland reportedly interested in Manziel and McDaniels

Postby Everlong » Dec 30, '13, 11:10 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to bury McDaniels.

Lots of NFL coaches are failures in their first jobs. McDaniels is still one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. He has to have learned a significant amount after the way things went down in Denver. He tried to be Belichick and failed. He got a wake up call before he even turned 35. He's still extremely young and deserves another opportunity.

As for Manziel, well that depends on draft boards and who's available and all that. I'd take that with a grain of salt. But I think McDaniels is still a fine head coaching candidate for most teams out there. The problem is that Cleveland ruins careers, so anyone is going to have a hard time there.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 31, '13, 8:34 am

McDaniels may not be a bad fit, but they need to start giving guys more then 1 year. As for Manziel, he is a little prick who i have no respect for and if he is going to be a washout somewhere might as well be a washout in the home of washout QBs.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby The Legend » Jan 08, '14, 2:01 pm

It won't be McDaniels, he's turned down the Browns citing "wanting stability for his family and keeping his young kids in the school they know."

Yeah whatever, all I know is for two straight years the Browns have tried to hire their top choice and he has refused them and their organizational structure. Bottom line, no smart NFL person wants to work where their accountable to Joe Banner and totally reliant upon his ability to evaluate talent. This team needs to get rid of Banner if they ever hope to turn this thing around.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby The Legend » Jan 09, '14, 2:42 pm

Apparently, the new front runner is appearing as if it might be Ben McAdoo. Hey Tim, help me out who the hell is Ben McAdoo and what does he know?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Romo » Jan 09, '14, 3:10 pm

The Legend wrote:Apparently, the new front runner is appearing as if it might be Ben McAdoo. Hey Tim, help me out who the hell is Ben McAdoo and what does he know?

Aaron Rodgers seems to speak highly of him

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Everlong » Jan 09, '14, 3:58 pm

The Legend wrote:Apparently, the new front runner is appearing as if it might be Ben McAdoo. Hey Tim, help me out who the hell is Ben McAdoo and what does he know?

He's the packers' quarterbacks coach. I don't know a TON about him, but here are my impressions:

It's always going to be a crapshoot going from a positional coach to a head coach gig. Some have done it extremely successfully, some not so much. But I do know that Aaron Rodgers is extremely fond of him and praises him regularly on his radio show. I also know that he's generally considered to be excellent at his job, and seems like the kind of guy that any team should want on its staff.

I have no idea whether he'll be a good head coach or not, but it was really only a matter of time until someone poached him off the Packers and at LEAST made him a coordinator. I think he's at least a better candidate than a lot of the other names that have been thrown out there for the Browns.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby ShaneOfan » Jan 09, '14, 4:05 pm

Nothing special really but he is a "QB whisperer" they want him to be the next Andy Reid.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Jan 14, '14, 6:42 pm

Looks like Cleveland is muffled on what to do. Bowles removed his name from the hat. A report came out the other day saying people have called Chud for the full story but who knows how much accuracy that has to it.

With Ben McAdoo going to the Giants as OC, Broncos Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase is the top (and really, only) contender for Cleveland right now. However... they have not interviewed Gase yet and could end up not being able to interview him until the first week of February due to Denver potentially being in the Super Bowl. Cleveland needs to work fast. If they really plan on waiting for Gase and then Gase turns out to not be as they expected in the interview or simply no longer wants the job, they really put themselves in a crummy situation.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Re: Cleveland coaching search still ongoing

Postby The Legend » Jan 14, '14, 7:02 pm

Messiah wrote:Looks like Cleveland is muffled on what to do. Bowles removed his name from the hat. A report came out the other day saying people have called Chud for the full story but who knows how much accuracy that has to it.

With Ben McAdoo going to the Giants as OC, Broncos Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase is the top (and really, only) contender for Cleveland right now. However... they have not interviewed Gase yet and could end up not being able to interview him until the first week of February due to Denver potentially being in the Super Bowl. Cleveland needs to work fast. If they really plan on waiting for Gase and then Gase turns out to not be as they expected in the interview or simply no longer wants the job, they really put themselves in a crummy situation.

If they don't get Gase which people seem to think isn't likely because of the Peyton Manning and Jimmy Haslam connection - don't think that I buy that as a necessary reason - they will most likely move on to Seattle DC Dan Quinn or Mike Munchak as those are the two they have interviewed that don't have a job.

I'm fully expectant at this point that they won't be working fast at all and it will most likely be after the Super Bowl before they hire a coach, unless Gase lets them know he isn't interested while the Broncos are still playing.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Jan 21, '14, 11:02 am

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m
Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase called Browns today to say he is withdrawing as HC candidate to concentrate on Super Bowl.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Jan 21, '14, 11:10 am

Messiah wrote:
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m
Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase called Browns today to say he is withdrawing as HC candidate to concentrate on Super Bowl.

Jesus christ :lol

Man I feel bad for Browns fans. That place is just toxic.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Jan 21, '14, 8:26 pm

Everlong wrote:
Messiah wrote:
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m

Jesus christ :lol

Man I feel bad for Browns fans. That place is just toxic.

There is nothing toxic about the place and there's nothing in the NFL rule book that says they can't win. The problem is simply they have morons that nobody in the league respects running the team at CEO and GM. Get rid of that problem and you can move forward.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Jan 22, '14, 8:56 pm

Does interviewing Greg Schiano for your open head coach position count as rock bottom, because yeah, that happened today...

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Jan 23, '14, 6:46 am

Apparently, the Browns coaching search will end today. They are interviewing two finalists in Cleveland today and should have their decision after that. One of the two finalists is definitely Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. The other finalist is believed to be either Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter or Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels - who apparently has renewed talks with the Browns after some of the Patriots coaching staff has changed.

Gotta say that I'm more than a little frustrated at this point at how things will inevitably end up today. My biggest issue is that you preach patience and a methodical search and waiting to talk to all of your top candidates after they are done in the playoffs - Re: Adam Gase and Dan Quinn - for why it is taking so long and now you aren't going to talk to either candidate with the end so nearly in sight. Second, is the individual candidates merits. Pettine ran the one defense that managed to make Brandon Weeden look like an NFL QB this year in a game that the Browns scored their season high in points. Koetter is in only his second year in Atlanta, one of which can only be described as an unmitigated disaster this year. And McDaniels, well we all know what happened in Denver. None of the three sound to me like the proven winner that Jimmy Haslam said the Browns would introduce as their next coach when the search ended.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby ShaneOfan » Jan 23, '14, 10:01 am

I sincerely hope that they do not hire Mike. Our defense looked very good this year and I don't want to lose that steam.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Jan 23, '14, 10:07 am

ShaneOfan wrote:I sincerely hope that they do not hire Mike. Our defense looked very good this year and I don't want to lose that steam.

It looks like that's what is going to happen. Reporters in Cleveland are saying they are actually advancing to the contract negotiation stage. Which would make sense, interviewing a candidate three times in a week seems a little excessive.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby ShaneOfan » Jan 23, '14, 10:10 am

The Legend wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:I sincerely hope that they do not hire Mike. Our defense looked very good this year and I don't want to lose that steam.

It looks like that's what is going to happen. Reporters in Cleveland are saying they are actually advancing to the contract negotiation stage. Which would make sense, interviewing a candidate three times in a week seems a little excessive.

I've honestly been expecting him to go to Cleveland ever since it was first reported that they were interested in him. But I was holding onto hope.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Jan 23, '14, 10:39 am

ShaneOfan wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I've honestly been expecting him to go to Cleveland ever since it was first reported that they were interested in him. But I was holding onto hope.

It's pretty much everything, but official at this point according to Cleveland media and Adam Schefter. Apparently, Donnie Henderson, DB coach in Buffalo, may be coming with him to be Defensive Coordinator.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Jan 23, '14, 10:50 am

Well, better than Greg Schiano.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Next

Return to NFL