It is currently: May 09, '24, 7:18 am

August 2015 Fútbol/Football Discussion: The Season Begins!

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: August 2015 Fútbol/Football Discussion: The Season Begins!

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 25, '15, 3:08 pm

^ Malmo seem to dump a Scottish team out of Europe every other year nowadays. Did it with us in 2011, Hibs in 2013 (9-0 on aggregate btw) and Celtic this year.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Romo » Aug 25, '15, 6:02 pm

Why West Brom are rejecting £21million for Berahino is beyond me, he's an alright striker in a crappy team who is living off the hype of scoring 4 goals against fucking Gateshead. I'd snap their fingers off and spend that £21million of 2 or 3 players who will actually improve the team.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 225

Postby Daz » Aug 26, '15, 6:12 am

First striker to score for Norwich this season ... Ricky van Wolfswinkel. Didn't see that coming.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 26, '15, 6:37 am

Romo wrote:Why West Brom are rejecting £21million for Berahino is beyond me, he's an alright striker in a crappy team who is living off the hype of scoring 4 goals against fucking Gateshead. I'd snap their fingers off and spend that £21million of 2 or 3 players who will actually improve the team.

Just trying to squeeze every penny out of Spurs like Levy does to everyone else..

SlightlyJames wrote:^ Malmo seem to dump a Scottish team out of Europe every other year nowadays. Did it with us in 2011, Hibs in 2013 (9-0 on aggregate btw) and Celtic this year.

Hope your brother's OK, was worrying for his safety reading your tweets last night..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Daz » Aug 26, '15, 7:02 am

Romo wrote:Why West Brom are rejecting £21million for Berahino is beyond me, he's an alright striker in a crappy team who is living off the hype of scoring 4 goals against fucking Gateshead. I'd snap their fingers off and spend that £21million of 2 or 3 players who will actually improve the team.

Wolves being equally ridiculously. Apparently rejected 10 million for Benik Afobe from Norwich. In what world is he worth 10 million?

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 26, '15, 3:27 pm

Looking forward to the CL draw tomorrow. Rooney with the goals and hopefully Van Gaal puts Herrera in the team, offers so much.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby prophet » Aug 27, '15, 2:44 pm

Not that I enjoyed seeing them play well but how much better did United look with Herrera playing? As a team they looked so much sharper with him on the pitch - the rotating holding midfielder policy (Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin) is a hideous model, Herrera is a much better option. I'd also play Mata down the middle behind Rooney with Depay and Young either side.

Januzaj is ass.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 27, '15, 2:52 pm

prophet wrote:Not that I enjoyed seeing them play well but how much better did United look with Herrera playing? As a team they looked so much sharper with him on the pitch - the rotating holding midfielder policy (Carrick/Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin) is a hideous model, Herrera is a much better option. I'd also play Mata down the middle behind Rooney with Depay and Young either side.

Januzaj is ass.

You're not the only one who enjoyed that. Opposition was dire but good for confidence, especially Rooney.

Herrera is the player who has been unfairly treated by LVG. He was part of the team when last season United's March-April run saw them get that fourth CL spot; he's good on the ball, wants to make things happen but LVG's conservatism at times means he doesn't get trusted. I'd rather LVG played him as 10 behind Rooney than Januzaj, who needs a good loan for a year to build his strength.

CL draw I'll take. Only thing is Russia trip is on the week of the Manchester derby but Man City, fucking hell, that's not an easy group at all but they should make it through.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SKS » Aug 29, '15, 4:44 pm

SKS wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
SKS wrote:David Silva was magical today. Raheem was shit.

Navas was shit as well. He literally offers nothing to the team. Can't pass, cross, shoot or go past a defender. He's just an expensive Gabby Agbonlahor.

Surely we'll sign De Bruyne and push Navas to the bench...

:cheers

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Daz » Aug 30, '15, 12:01 pm

Awful performance by Norwich today. Didn't get out of the blocks and couldn't cope with Southampton's high pressing. Then Whittaker got sent off via two soft yellow cards and the writing was pretty much on the wall. Their first goal was a fraction offside I reckon but it was poor defending and the goal would have come eventually.

Hoolahan didn't touch the ball the entire time he was on the pitch. Jerome was awful up front. It's an area where we are lacking. And bringing Hooper on was the wrong move. RVW scored in the week and was on the bench because of Grabban's club suspension, and it would have been good for his confidence to get brought on in a league game, even one that was already lost.

Martin cannot play centre back. Scoring a couple of goals doesn't make up for his defensive weaknesses. He was badly exposed today, even before we were down to ten men. Bassong seems poised for another rough patch too, so getting another CB in before the transfer window closes should be a priority.

Frustrating game to watch.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Viazon » Aug 30, '15, 12:03 pm

It's been a good weekend. Chelsea lost. Liverpool lost. And now Man United.

Glad Arsenal are still picking up wins, even though they haven't really been playing very well. I would like to see at least one more signing before the window ends though. I don't even know who we are linked with anymore. The only one I knew was Benzema but that is apparently not gonna happen.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 30, '15, 12:10 pm

Gary Neville has summed it up, as always, on United's "domination" of matches via possession.

Rooney's poor touch and control gets less talked about every day, first half his poor decision allowed Williams to recover; first goal was down to his poor touch and messed up the great chance at the end and tried to moan about a penalty that wasn't. It'd be negligent for LVG not to sign a striker if Hernandez goes and if they let DDG go without replacing him. It'd be an awful end to the window if the latter happens.

Can't be harsh on Shaw/Darmian, only players getting forward at the moment..and the former has been outstanding this season. Even though we played well for the first 20 odd minutes, there's no real fluidity IMO.

Long way to go but it's a concern over a number of issues.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Romo » Aug 30, '15, 3:14 pm

Love seeing Swansea do well, took a risk on an unproven young manager to lead them and then even when times got rough they didn't bail on him, no super rich billionaire buying the club to pour millions in, the whole club being owned by local welsh business men is amazing to see!

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 30, '15, 3:43 pm

Romo wrote:Love seeing Swansea do well, took a risk on an unproven young manager to lead them and then even when times got rough they didn't bail on him, no super rich billionaire buying the club to pour millions in, the whole club being owned by local welsh business men is amazing to see!

Also got a fan representative on the board plus cheaper tickets for away fans IIRC.

What's wrong with Bolton so far this season @Romo

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Romo » Aug 30, '15, 5:02 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:What's wrong with Bolton so far this season @Romo

Owner doesn't give a shit and refuses to put anymore money into the club meaning we can't afford to buy players and because of the money we owe him he refuses to put good money up for wages so we're forced to only pay £10,000 a week or under so we just can't compete with teams spending like premier league sides

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Viazon » Sep 13, '15, 11:02 am

I was so close to putting an in-game bet on for Leicester to win when it was 2-2.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football