It is currently: Jun 16, '24, 10:09 am

The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 16, '15, 4:51 pm

Nice move by Villa to stoke up Man United making a bid for Benteke nudging Liverpool into making the offer.

£32.5m is a heck amount of money - intrigued by how they spend it. Charlie Austin linked with Newcastle, Remy's still at Chelsea but worryingly Adebayor was linked to Villa considering his links to Sherwood!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '15, 4:55 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Adebayor was linked to Villa considering his links to Sherwood!

Sherwood wants him, he basically said this in an interview. Adebayor is probably the last person I'd want to replace Benteke right now.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 16, '15, 4:57 pm

I doubt you get anyone to replace Benteke, really. I'm assuming you spread the money around a bit and get a few new faces in rather than jump got a like for like replacement of the big man.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Jul 17, '15, 6:56 am

Fabian Delph has reportedly done a U-turn and wants to join City again.

You couldn't make this shit up.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Jul 17, '15, 9:32 am

It's true, he's having a medical right now. What a piece of shit.

He was excellent for Villa but he's really strung the fans along with this whole affair. He signed a new contract in January and waxed lyrical about loyalty and how he loves the club, how it was "his club", yet behind the scenes he'd negotiated a cheap way out incase someone better comes knocking. Without this, he probably wouldn't have signed the contract and would've walked on a free. Such loyalty.

City come in for him and he briefly flirts with them, before saying he's not going anywhere as he once again loves Villa and looks forward to captaining such a magnificent club. He then changes his mind and quietly slips off for a medical with City.

What a cunt.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Romo » Jul 17, '15, 10:38 am

How to guaranteed to be hated by Villa fans: The Fabian Delph Story

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Daz » Jul 17, '15, 10:56 am

PorkChop wrote:It's true, he's having a medical right now. What a piece of shit.

He was excellent for Villa but he's really strung the fans along with this whole affair. He signed a new contract in January and waxed lyrical about loyalty and how he loves the club, how it was "his club", yet behind the scenes he'd negotiated a cheap way out incase someone better comes knocking. Without this, he probably wouldn't have signed the contract and would've walked on a free. Such loyalty.

City come in for him and he briefly flirts with them, before saying he's not going anywhere as he once again loves Villa and looks forward to captaining such a magnificent club. He then changes his mind and quietly slips off for a medical with City.

What a cunt.

It's all a bit suspect really.

You have to imagine there was something disagreeable about the offer the first time around and the decision to stay at Villa was merely a smokescreen to milk something extra out of City.

It's certainly a slap in the face to Villa fans and I can only imagine the sort of reaction he'd get at Villa Park next year. Booed off the pitch might put it mildly.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Daz » Jul 17, '15, 12:44 pm

Norwich's pre-season game against Cambridge today is being played in 4 quarters, lasting 30 minutes each, as opposed to the usual 90 minutes. Any other teams doing this to help the players get fit?

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 17, '15, 12:48 pm

Daz wrote:Norwich's pre-season game against Cambridge today is being played in 4 quarters, lasting 30 minutes each, as opposed to the usual 90 minutes. Any other teams doing this to help the players get fit?

Think we had a game against Spurs reserves a few days ago that was 3 periods of 30 minutes.

Really scummy of Delph to act like he has, you don't fuck around with supporters like that. If you're going to leverage a deal with a bigger club or whatever, at least have the fucking decency to admit that you're wanting out rather than playing with the expectations of the people who call you one of their own.

The main reasoning I've seen suggested for this is that he's away because Benteke is away and it was suggested to him that would not be the case. I've also seen it brought up that it would have been very silly of them to assure Benteke wouldn't be going anywhere, what with him having a release clause and all that.

It's not like they wouldn't have been able to accept him heading for the door if he hadn't been such a two faced twat about the whole situation, I'm sure City fans will be glad to have signed such a professional and down to earth player. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Jul 17, '15, 4:53 pm

Halliday was hot and cold, he never seemed to do anything but did? Weird signing for you I think, bizarre that his reputation is enough to get you excited. He's one of the FA Cup heroes though, so I'd love it if he did well.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 17, '15, 5:40 pm

I remember being impressed with Halliday when he was at Livingston, it seemed he'd do alright when he went south. It definitely piqued my interest when I saw we were bringing him in and if Warburton wants him then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he's a bit inconsistent like you've said. After all, it was Warburton who robbed us of Lewis MacLeod in January so he's got a good eye for talent. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Jul 21, '15, 12:29 pm

Patrick Bamford signs on loan for Palace, another brilliant signing.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 22, '15, 3:07 pm

Liverpool, finally, announce the signing of Benteke from Villa for £32.5m.

Meanwhile, Sherwood's getting ready to open the Adebadoor for his former Tottenham striker...but I'd whack out the money for Charlie Austin. Replacing Benteke will be tough so not even sure Austin could replace him adequately but hard to think at present options out there.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jul 27, '15, 1:11 pm

Any idea on who Van Gaal's mystery signing is going to wind up being or was he just chatting shit? United fans seem to think it'll be Zlatan but I doubt it, I reckon Llorente.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 27, '15, 1:24 pm

prophet wrote:Any idea on who Van Gaal's mystery signing is going to wind up being or was he just chatting shit? United fans seem to think it'll be Zlatan but I doubt it, I reckon Llorente.

I think they're hoping they will pull off a big marquee name but doubt they will. Forsee them completing the sale of Di Maria, buy Pedro, keep DDG, not sign Otamendi and gamble on defenders staying fit and TRY to sign Ronaldo/Bale but failing. Even last pair I don't see us making a sincere effort.

Zlatan doesn't get on with LVG and if he leaves PSG, likely to return to Milan with AC or Inter.

Llorente? Don't see it tbh, think few years ago when he was in form with Bilbao then yes but not now. More likely to join Arsenal.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Jul 27, '15, 1:25 pm

So, like, are Arsenal actually going to sign any players other than Cech. I have been hearing a lot of rumours but no actual official signings.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » Jul 27, '15, 1:47 pm

Viazon wrote:So, like, are Arsenal actually going to sign any players other than Cech. I have been hearing a lot of rumours but no actual official signings.

Arsenal won't challenge for the title with Giroud as the main striker, ditto for Llorente.

WHY OH WHY DOES NOBODY BID ON LACAZETTE? I'M TELLING YOU PEOPLE HE'S THE TRUTH.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jul 27, '15, 2:53 pm

prophet wrote:WHY OH WHY DOES NOBODY BID ON LACAZETTE? I'M TELLING YOU PEOPLE HE'S THE TRUTH.

Lacazette is a poor man's Gabby Agbonlahor, everyone knows it.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 27, '15, 3:23 pm

PorkChop wrote:
prophet wrote:WHY OH WHY DOES NOBODY BID ON LACAZETTE? I'M TELLING YOU PEOPLE HE'S THE TRUTH.

Man, he used to be so good. Was there an injury or something that screwed him over or did he just go downhill of his own accord?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Jul 27, '15, 4:31 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

Man, he used to be so good. Was there an injury or something that screwed him over or did he just go downhill of his own accord?

Agbonlahor? He was never a great player, was was pretty good from 2006-2010. There were rumours that O'Neill turned down a £16 million bid from Arsenal for him in 2007/8.

He's a confidence player, and he was only good back then because Martin O'Neill made him believe he was good. Since then, we've had Gerard Houllier, Alex McLeish and Paul Lambert, who weren't exactly the greatest motivators, and Agbonlahor's body language hasn't quite been the same since O'Neill walked out. He's also been constantly played on the wing due to his pace, where he doesn't really like to play.

It'll be interesting to see how he does under Sherwood, but I'm not expecting fireworks.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football