It is currently: May 14, '24, 5:53 am

NASA discovers flowing water on Mars

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

NASA discovers flowing water on Mars

Postby Everlong » Sep 28, '15, 1:25 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2015/ ... water-mars

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, this is HUGE international news today. You can read the article for more information, but basically these dark streaks are created by salt water at specific times of the Martian year. NASA has examined 3 percent of the planet's surface at a very close resolution to find them, and now it's oging to continue examining the service to find more and research them.

Pretty amazing stuff. Also saw a quote from a NASA scientist saying right now the expectation is humans will be sent to the vicinity of Mars by the early 2030s and to the surface of Mars by the late 2030s.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: NASA discovers flowing water on Mars

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 28, '15, 1:27 pm

This is all a tie in to promote "The Martian" with Matt Damon somehow. Just watch. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Messiah » Sep 28, '15, 1:52 pm

Everlong wrote:Pretty amazing stuff. Also saw a quote from a NASA scientist saying right now the expectation is humans will be sent to the vicinity of Mars by the early 2030s and to the surface of Mars by the late 2030s.

Damn... I can't even think about all the way until 2030. :lol

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby War Daddy » Sep 28, '15, 4:29 pm

Fantastic news but man, I dont think I could ever move there :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 28, '15, 8:26 pm

Matt Damon

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 28, '15, 11:22 pm

Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » Sep 29, '15, 2:03 pm

I just want to emphasize that it's looking likely that we will PUT PEOPLE ON MARS IN OUR LIFETIMES

That is so fucking cool. We need to put more effort back into space exploration.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Sep 29, '15, 2:10 pm

How much knowledge does anyone here have about Mars? I mean, think about films like Total Recall. A piece of fiction in which Mars is made habitable. Is this simply a case of life imitating art, or were films like these made because there was always a general belief that people could live on Mars?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Sep 29, '15, 2:13 pm

Viazon wrote:How much knowledge does anyone here have about Mars? I mean, think about films like Total Recall. A piece of fiction in which Mars is made habitable. Is this simply a case of life imitating art, or were films like these made because there was always a general belief that people could live on Mars?

We've known for quite a long time that Mars was definitely the most realistic option for human colonization if we could find water. While we're still a long way off from colonization, this announcement is a huge step forward.

So there's always been some element of scientific fact behind these movies, if only just a sliver of it. Like, there's obviously a whole lot about movies like Total Recall that's BS, haha. But we've at least had a suspicion that Mars could potentially be our best bet for a while now.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Sep 29, '15, 4:40 pm

Viazon wrote:How much knowledge does anyone here have about Mars? I mean, think about films like Total Recall. A piece of fiction in which Mars is made habitable. Is this simply a case of life imitating art, or were films like these made because there was always a general belief that people could live on Mars?

The main thing that this discovery does is increase the odds that we will send people to Mars, primarily to do research. It will likely happen in our lifetime, assuming we live to old age.

However, as far as people living on Mars? I won't go as far as to say it's impossible, but its close to it. The logistics of it and the obstacles that would have to be overcome are why I say that. There is no guarantee that the people who get sent to Mars to do research will make it back alive, assuming they make it there. I've read about terraforming Mars, but that is still nothing more than a hypothetical at this point and something that would take a long time. Time = money, and unless it can be proven that the Earth is in some kind of immediate danger, that idea would probably (read: has a snowball's chance in hell) not get the public or financial support necessary. Even if it did, which it wouldn't, like I said there is still no guarantee it would work.

Things like this fascinate me. I love to read and speculate about the possibilities of humans living anywhere but Earth, if we will ever find proof of intelligent life, the universe, etc. So I've read a lot about it. I just can't foresee it happening (Mars being colonized). Definitely not with our current technology. And that is just the beginning of the issues. If it even became feasible to live on Mars, countries have proven they don't play nice when land is at stake.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Return to News and Politics