It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 5:36 am

Reporter and cameraman shot on live TV; suspect at large

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Reporter and cameraman shot on live TV; suspect at large

Postby Everlong » Aug 26, '15, 8:52 am

http://cnn.it/1MNbijW

Just... holy fuck. This is so incredibly sad.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Reporter and cameraman shot on live TV; suspect at large

Postby Locke » Aug 26, '15, 8:53 am

The photo of the killer standing there is like something out of a horror movie..

So sad!

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 137

Postby Everlong » Aug 26, '15, 8:54 am

The only glimpse you get of the guy. Jesus.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 26, '15, 8:56 am

Not making light of this, I'm serious when I say it..

Looks like Benoit.. O_o

https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=567C7601Image

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 26, '15, 9:11 am

Incredibly moving seeing her fiancee's tweets.. awful news.. unimaginable to think of her last moments..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Locke » Aug 26, '15, 9:18 am

I don't even want to read the fiance's tweets, that kind of darkness creeps into the mind and makes me empathize and think "What if?" way too clearly. I couldn't handle being in his shoes, I couldn't survive it.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby DBSoT » Aug 26, '15, 9:22 am

I am (as most are) so fucking tired of this shit. Can the government do something, anything!? I have never been a advocate for gun control, but for the love of God, we need help before this gets even worst. Also it's not just this incident, but the cumulative effect of shootings in recent years. These people weren't standing in a war zone, they were reporting on a water park. It's just so sad.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 26, '15, 9:34 am

It gets even more disturbing, apparently the guy who did has been tweeting and facebooking about it. He either recorded the whole thing with his phone or a GoPro camera and posted the actual footage of him killing both of them. Both his accounts were quickly taken down thankfully. Thank God I didn't stumble onto that video, not something I want to see.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Aug 26, '15, 9:46 am

Apparently it was a former employee of the station and co-worker of both victims. As much as I'm a proponent of gun control laws - mostly to stop mass shootings, not targeted murders - this goes much deeper than that. This goes much further to show the damage that the stigma of mental illness does to our society and how often we as a society leave people to struggle standing on the sidelines. We need to be far more active in mandatory psychological and psychiatric check ups and evaluations to get people like this the help they need before something tragic happens and we become vigilantes looking to punish this "evil person" to hell and back.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Circled Square » Aug 26, '15, 9:50 am

The dude apparently just killed himself, and ABC was fax'd his 23 page manifesto.

To me this has nothing to do with the guns - he had beef with someone at the place he went to I believe. That's what I've been hearing. Dude would have done this shit with a knife if he didn't have gun. RIP.

By the way, the asshole waited until the camera panned to the woman before shooting. What a fucking scumbag.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 26, '15, 9:50 am

The Legend wrote:Apparently it was a former employee of the station and co-worker of both victims. As much as I'm a proponent of gun control laws - mostly to stop mass shootings, not targeted murders - this goes much deeper than that. This goes much further to show the damage that the stigma of mental illness does to our society and how often we as a society leave people to struggle standing on the sidelines. We need to be far more active in mandatory psychological and psychiatric check ups and evaluations to get people like this the help they need before something tragic happens and we become vigilantes looking to punish this "evil person" to hell and back.

It's easy to say that, But how could you possibly implement something like that? This guy supposedly was fired, do employers have to contact psychiatric help upon letting any employee go? For all we know, the guy took it well, and sat in his house stewing for weeks until deciding to do this.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby lyonssv » Aug 26, '15, 9:51 am

The Legend wrote:Apparently it was a former employee of the station and co-worker of both victims. As much as I'm a proponent of gun control laws - mostly to stop mass shootings, not targeted murders - this goes much deeper than that. This goes much further to show the damage that the stigma of mental illness does to our society and how often we as a society leave people to struggle standing on the sidelines. We need to be far more active in mandatory psychological and psychiatric check ups and evaluations to get people like this the help they need before something tragic happens and we become vigilantes looking to punish this "evil person" to hell and back.

This fits in line with a growing amount of workplace violence in this county as well. We are seeing stories like this very often and workplace violence is growing at exponential rates. I think part of hiring processes for employers should be screening for people are at risk of doing things like this.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 13

Postby The Legend » Aug 26, '15, 9:53 am

Str8Shooter wrote:

It's easy to say that, But how could you possibly implement something like that? This guy supposedly was fired, do employers have to contact psychiatric help upon letting any employee go? For all we know, the guy took it well, and sat in his house stewing for weeks until deciding to do this.

I'm not putting it on the employer to get the guy help. I'm saying as a society on a national level psychological and psychiatric annual examinations should be mandatory for all of us. If a person chooses to ignore their physical health, then fine there's nothing we can do about that, but they are only going to hurt themselves, when it comes to mental health too often it's other people's lives on the line.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 26, '15, 9:54 am

Wrestling related note. Apparently the poor woman interviewed the New Day when WWE went through Roanoke last time. :(

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Circled Square » Aug 26, '15, 9:54 am

I don't think it's possible to stop events like these. Untreated crazy is always a wildcard in life. You never know when someone walking alongside you will start a mass shooting or stabbing spree.

I'm not putting it on the employer to get the guy help. I'm saying as a society on a national level psychological and psychiatric annual examinations should be mandatory for all of us. If a person chooses to ignore their physical health, then fine there's nothing we can do about that, but they are only going to hurt themselves, when it comes to mental health too often it's other people's lives on the line.

Unrealistic IMO. I can't imagine big corporations shelling out the cash necessary to start up a mental health program.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Aug 26, '15, 9:57 am

Circled Square wrote:I don't think it's possible to stop events like these. Untreated crazy is always a wildcard in life. You never know when someone walking alongside you will start a mass shooting or stabbing spree.

Unrealistic IMO. I can't imagine big corporations shelling out the cash necessary to start up a mental health program.

You didn't read my post correctly, I'm not putting it on corporations and I'm not just trying to stop disgruntled ex-employees from killing people. I realize this will never happen though because our country has too many selfish and greedy people that don't think it will happen to them and other people's lives aren't worth the potential hike in their taxes to pay for a program like this.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Circled Square » Aug 26, '15, 9:58 am

Yeah, there's no way I see the average tax payer going along with it. Americans will tax citizens to build a fucking sports arena, but mental health, nooooooooo way Jose. :banghead

Can't say I blame them, though.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Aug 26, '15, 10:18 am

Yo apparently he survived his suicide attempt and is in critical condition.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Aug 26, '15, 11:01 am

heartbreaking.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Aug 26, '15, 11:30 am

What a qt. This story sucks. :(

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Next

Return to News and Politics