It is currently: May 21, '24, 12:03 pm

Iran nuclear deal achieved

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Iran nuclear deal achieved

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 24, '13, 4:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25078961

After talks, a deal is finally agreed and some positive news.

Credit to Rouhani because it seems he has been able to get the OK from the Supreme Leader to try and be more pro-active with the West and engage rather than Ahmedinjad who was a time-bomb that exploded again and again.

Netanyahu ain't going to be happy but when is he ever happy. It seems only him and his government was firmly against talks when the right thing to do is to have dialogue than estrangement.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Iran nuclear deal achieved

Postby Matteo » Nov 25, '13, 5:20 pm

This is great news, and further solidifies the fact that Obama is capable of doing legitimately good things. Iran is fairly misunderstood, as they are often represented as a bunch of islamic fundamentalists and extremists in the Western media. While it is true Iran have several problems relating to terrorism, not to mention its various human right violations, they really haven't done anything wrong in the last few years that would consider them a rouge state.

What surprised me about this deal is basically the Wests' complete disregard for Israel. I was 90% sure the US would not reach an Iranian nuclear deal clearly because of the huge influence APIAC has in Congress as well as America's overall political infrastructure, not to mention the extremely close relationship both states have. Even though Kerry has assured Israel will be safe (as has France the UK), there is a still a lot of concern in Israel that Iran are basically trolling the world and will inevitably construct a nuclear weapon and wipe 'Israel off the map'. This is pretty tiresome fear-mongering, especially by Netanyahu (whose diplomacy failed), since this nuclear deal prohibits the construction of a nuclear weapon and puts Iran's nuclear programme under tight international watch.

What Obama said was fundamentally true in regards to Iran and their right to have nuclear energy. Of course we are all going to be dubious and skeptical, but the West needs to take this risk in hope for improving relations. Iran needs to prove themselves they are not a threat. The Middle East would be a much more stable region if Iranian/US relations (as well as Iranian/Israeli relations) improved. This could be the first step.

This has been a pretty good day in diplomacy when you think about it. Russia, China, US, UK, France and Germany have all openly agreed on, arguably, one of the most controversial international issues in the world today. Call me optimistic, but I can't see Iran breaking any sanctions, regardless of how the media will try to spin it. I just hope Israel stay neutral here. Of course they're worried about this new deal, but let's hope they don't do anything silly. There has been some speculations that Saudi Arabia and Israel are working towards a possible strike at Iran's nuclear station. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true since Israel often have a habit of attacking other states in the region (Lebanon and Syria in the last 10 years). I can understand Israel's anxiety, but they've got the backing of the world's most advanced and prodigious military, the United States. I think Iran knows any attack on Israel will wipe their nation off the map in a matter of seconds. Netanyahu needs to take a step back and just see how this unfolds. Israel are perfectly safe. In fact, they've got nuclear weapons themselves and a lot of Israeli's know this. It's not fair they get discriminated against because of their dysfunctional government.

I'm hoping this is one big step towards peace and stability in the Middle East.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 195

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 26, '13, 12:25 pm

NoDQ wrote:This is great news, and further solidifies the fact that Obama is capable of doing legitimately good things. Iran is fairly misunderstood, as they are often represented as a bunch of islamic fundamentalists and extremists in the Western media. While it is true Iran have several problems relating to terrorism, not to mention its various human right violations, they really haven't done anything wrong in the last few years that would consider them a rouge state.

What surprised me about this deal is basically the Wests' complete disregard for Israel. I was 90% sure the US would not reach an Iranian nuclear deal clearly because of the huge influence APIAC has in Congress as well as America's overall political infrastructure, not to mention the extremely close relationship both states have. Even though Kerry has assured Israel will be safe (as has France the UK), there is a still a lot of concern in Israel that Iran are basically trolling the world and will inevitably construct a nuclear weapon and wipe 'Israel off the map'. This is pretty tiresome fear-mongering, especially by Netanyahu (whose diplomacy failed), since this nuclear deal prohibits the construction of a nuclear weapon and puts Iran's nuclear programme under tight international watch.

What Obama said was fundamentally true in regards to Iran and their right to have nuclear energy. Of course we are all going to be dubious and skeptical, but the West needs to take this risk in hope for improving relations. Iran needs to prove themselves they are not a threat. The Middle East would be a much more stable region if Iranian/US relations (as well as Iranian/Israeli relations) improved. This could be the first step.

This has been a pretty good day in diplomacy when you think about it. Russia, China, US, UK, France and Germany have all openly agreed on, arguably, one of the most controversial international issues in the world today. Call me optimistic, but I can't see Iran breaking any sanctions, regardless of how the media will try to spin it. I just hope Israel stay neutral here. Of course they're worried about this new deal, but let's hope they don't do anything silly. There has been some speculations that Saudi Arabia and Israel are working towards a possible strike at Iran's nuclear station. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true since Israel often have a habit of attacking other states in the region (Lebanon and Syria in the last 10 years). I can understand Israel's anxiety, but they've got the backing of the world's most advanced and prodigious military, the United States. I think Iran knows any attack on Israel will wipe their nation off the map in a matter of seconds. Netanyahu needs to take a step back and just see how this unfolds. Israel are perfectly safe. In fact, they've got nuclear weapons themselves and a lot of Israeli's know this. It's not fair they get discriminated against because of their dysfunctional government.

I'm hoping this is one big step towards peace and stability in the Middle East.

Ahmedinajad was a dick tbf but Rouhani was the only favourable moderate and since his election, they've only espoused good words and it seems now they've backed it up with actions. Interestingly, the US were having private one-to-one talks with Iran outside of the P5+1 discussions and adding to that Rouhani speaking to Obama/Cameron in decades, shows maybe that trust is being increased but marginally I'd add.

There is still a fear that Congress in December might push for more sanctions which will cause problems in this Iran deal. Obama's relationship with his Congressmen/women has never been great and I can't imagine they will side with him unless Biden does some serious butt-kissing. Also, rightly said, AIPAC will be working over-time to get the people they want to either increase pressure on Obama and/or increase for more sanctions.

Iran's relationship with the West has always been mired in conspiracy, coups and mis-trust. The reason they've pursued the nuclear energy (and possibly weapons) is because everytime they enter talks, there's this threat of military action either by the US, Israel or both and that's immediately made them defensive and vociferous. Take military action away and say that's not an option but diplomacy then results emerge.

Saudi won't align with Israel and attack, no chance. They might agree on their dislike of Iran but I can't see Saudis and Muslims in general backing any sort of alignment with Israel. Although the Saudis live in their own world so wouldn't put it past them.

On your final point, yes Israel has nuclear weapons but refuses to sign up to the Non-Proliferation Treaty. If one country has nuclear weapons then why can't another country? Oh yes, that other country is a perceived enemy so it's a no-no. Nuclear proliferation is an aspect I remember Obama talked about in Germany in 2009 I believe that good huge cheers but seems hesitant to be fair on Israel's stockpiles.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby Matteo » Nov 27, '13, 1:21 am

Rouhani is certainly convincing, and I think most of it is genuine, but you can understand Israel's viewpoint when they say he is simply putting on the 'moderate act' to fool the West into thinking Iran is not a rogue state, nor a threat.

Despite how much AIPAC will pressure Congress, I can't see anymore sanctions hitting Iran. If it were just up to the US, then yes, possibly, but you've also got Russia, China, France, UK, and Germany in the mix. Expect a lot of fear-mongering from Israel and Israeli special interest lobby groups in the next few months. There is going to be a lot of emotive words being tossed around (hyperbole such as a second Holocaust, etc), but anyone with half a brain knows the Israeli military easily out-powers that of Iran, and any strike on Israel by Iran would be state suicide. I just hope Israel don't conduct in a fear-related strike, much like they did at Syria this year.

Still have no idea why Israel have not signed the NNPT. Everybody knows they've got nuclear weapons, so arguments relating to it being a 'strategic decision' is baseless and ill-founded. It's also quite hypocritical that Israel are trying to lecture Iran on nuclear weapons when they have not openly disclosed such information to the international community. Also, we all know it is the US that are supplying Israel with nuclear weapons, so don't expect to see the US government put pressure on Israel in that aspect.

I think you're right in regards to a Saudi/Israeli strike, but there is no doubt this deal could spawn proxy strikes and attacks. I hope not. Israel just needs to bite the bullet and see if Iran plays out its role properly and accordingly.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Return to News and Politics