It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 10:25 pm

Indiana law now makes it legal for businesses to discriminate against gay customers

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Indiana law now makes it legal for businesses to discriminate against gay customers

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '15, 9:16 am

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/ ... ay-rights/

While many states are moving forward, states like these are moving backward.

What the fuck, Indiana??

@Alpha Beast

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Indiana law now makes it legal for businesses to discriminate against gay customers

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '15, 9:26 am

My guess is this law will last about two minutes before a higher court rules it unconstitutional.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Re: Indiana law now makes it legal for businesses to discriminate against gay customers

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '15, 9:34 am

Yeah, hopefully. It's pathetic that it ever got signed into law in the first place, though.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Mar 26, '15, 9:36 am

Everlong wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/mike-pence-religious-freedom-bill-gay-rights/

While many states are moving forward, states like these are moving backward.

What the fuck, Indiana??

@Alpha Beast

Trust me, a large majority of Hoosiers(including me) called Gov. Pence and told him we are against it. GameCon will be leaving Indianapolis for good, and many other large events. Ashamed to say I live in a bully state.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Circled Square » Mar 26, '15, 11:31 am

Great. Who cares, honestly? If you've got your own business and want to exclude people, I mean, it should be your call. This loses business anyway.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby DBSoT » Mar 26, '15, 11:53 am

Circled Square wrote:Great. Who cares, honestly? If you've got your own business and want to exclude people, I mean, it should be your call. This loses business anyway.
Except this law isn't about excluding anyone from a private business, its specifically excluding gay people for nothing more then just being. Also a Governor should be promoting thriving business not excluding clientele for bigoted reasons. The law was said to allow for "religious freedom", yet I don't see the law stopping adulterers or people who eat the wrong kinds of food from entering. When you request religious freedom it doesn't obstain you from federal law, it protects that you can practice privately and without consequence to others. You can't be persecuted, but that also means you can't persecute others.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '15, 11:55 am

DBSoT wrote:The law was said to allow for "religious freedom", yet I don't see the law stopping adulterers or people who eat the wrong kinds of food from entering.

+100

This law is a thinly veiled excuse for treating gay people like lesser beings.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Mar 26, '15, 12:14 pm

Well let me ask you a question.

It's not as if Indiana is like some village lmao so there's a lot of people, nobody really knows each other. How does one know if somebody is Gay? Not every homosexual male is going to have a high pitched voice. Like they aren't gonna come in blasting Wham lmao...

Not every Lesbian dresses like a man. How do you tell? Like can venues decline like a Gay rights thing if they want to?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby DBSoT » Mar 26, '15, 12:20 pm

Circled Square wrote:Well let me ask you a question.

It's not as if Indiana is like some village lmao so there's a lot of people, nobody really knows each other. How does one know if somebody is Gay? Not every homosexual male is going to have a high pitched voice. Like they aren't gonna come in blasting Wham lmao...

Not every Lesbian dresses like a man. How do you tell?
So your saying its OK to discrimate against those who are obviously gay, but if they act straight then its fine for them to be treated like humans?

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '15, 12:23 pm

Not every Lesbian dresses like a man. How do you tell? Like can venues decline like a Gay rights thing if they want to?

That's a good question, and one that completely avoided without passing discriminatory laws in the first place.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Mar 26, '15, 12:25 pm

Treated like humans...wtf? Man they aren't gonna shoot them like they are a damn coyote like calm down a sec. I'm just asking how do you tell if like a customer is Gay? It's kinda like how Pol Pot killed people with glasses because he thought they were intellectuals. If they were so smart, why didn't they take them off? :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '15, 12:49 pm

Circled Square wrote:Treated like humans...wtf? Man they aren't gonna shoot them like they are a damn coyote like calm down a sec. I'm just asking how do you tell if like a customer is Gay? It's kinda like how Pol Pot killed people with glasses because he thought they were intellectuals. If they were so smart, why didn't they take them off? :lol

Clearly, this is targeted towards people that come in with their partners. that's how the businesses will tell.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby War Daddy » Mar 26, '15, 1:31 pm

I just want everyone to know that the Hoosiers make this state, not the stupid politicians. I've seen signs all over town today openly expressing their desire to serve everyone as an EQUAL in this town.

As for other towns, i dont know, but i am proud of mine right now.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '15, 2:55 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:I just want everyone to know that the Hoosiers make this state, not the stupid politicians. I've seen signs all over town today openly expressing their desire to serve everyone as an EQUAL in this town.

As for other towns, i dont know, but i am proud of mine right now.

Don't sweat it man. I've never had a problem with you and every state has every kind.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Mar 26, '15, 3:21 pm

That law is an embarrassment in this day and age. Hope it gets shot down quickly.

The whole issue of how businesses can tell if someone is gay isn't something that's going to come up much. The purpose of this isn't to punish gay people, but to discourage homosexual behaviour. It's unlikely (though now sadly possible) that someone would be kicked out of a premises simply for being gay; but gay customers can be refused service if they are seen so much as holding hands with their partner, or being expressive at all about their sexual preferences or beliefs.

Gay customers in Indiana can probably avoid being treated differently by making an effort to appear straight, or at least by not acting obviously gay. No acting couple-y with their partners or anything like that. But if they're forced to act in a different way from straight people to receive the same treatment/service then that's still major league discrimination. It's a rotten, evil law to enforce on a group of people.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Daz » Mar 26, '15, 4:45 pm

Let me ask you this question, at the end of the day, should any of that matter?

If it were a law discriminating against black from entering, would you react the same? Other ethnic minorities? I don't think you would, In fact, I think you'd rightfully be singing a different tune.

It doesn't matter that people aren't shooting them or trying to stone them to death the minute they walk through the door. They're being disallowed a service, that every other human being is entitled to, because of their sexual orientation. Whether they're waving their rainbow flag when they walk through the door is irrelevant. The fact is it isn't right, and it's pretty shocking that it was passed into law in 2015.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 26, '15, 5:50 pm

I predict this thread is a huge shitstorm by the time I come back here after the hockey game tonight. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby lyonssv » Mar 26, '15, 6:05 pm

This will eventually go before the Supreme Court and inevitably be ruled unconstitutional.

I will add this: A real Christian that follows the new testament teachings of Jesus, does not discriminate against people due to sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, etc. Regardless of their belief of whether said orientation is wrong or right.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 13

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 26, '15, 6:15 pm

Circled Square wrote:Great. Who cares, honestly? If you've got your own business and want to exclude people, I mean, it should be your call. This loses business anyway.

How about restaurants let gays in but they can't sit at a table they have to go to the counter? Maybe separate bathrooms so the straights don't have to feel uncomfortable. Hell maybe we should have a straight water fountain and a gay one.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Circled Square » Mar 26, '15, 6:39 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:

How about restaurants let gays in but they can't sit at a table they have to go to the counter? Maybe separate bathrooms so the straights don't have to feel uncomfortable. Hell maybe we should have a straight water fountain and a gay one.

If they so please. They won't get much business in the long run.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Next

Return to News and Politics